Your observations on Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. Feature Pack)

Even after moving my mouse away from the bottom the taskbar sometimes stays visible on the start screen. I can't reproduce it yet, seems to happen randomly and is pretty annoying. As are some of the other changes but I'll wait a few days until I get used to everything before complaining too much.

Yes it is on my Surface, enabled by default. I turned it off, but when I click the start button on the desktop and keep my mouse there, the taskbar still overlays the Start screen. Once I move my cursor away the taskbar disappears and doesn't come back. Must be a glitch, they rushed this update too fast.

Even after moving my mouse away from the bottom the taskbar sometimes stays visible on the start screen. I can't reproduce it yet, seems to happen randomly and is pretty annoying. As are some of the other changes but I'll wait a few days until I get used to everything before complaining too much.

You can reproduce it by moving the arrow to the right about an inch and then moving it up. If you move the mouse straight up it doesn't happen.

I'm using it on a Lenovo Yoga and also see the power and search options on my start screen.

You don't see the title bar if you use touch, only when you use the mouse

Exactly what happens on my Vaio Tap 11.

You can reproduce it by moving the arrow to the right about an inch and then moving it up. If you move the mouse straight up it doesn't happen.

That's not it, at least here. I just moved the cursor straight up even above the start button and then right and the taskbar stayed visible. But good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Anyone else catch themselves double-clicking on the title bar in Metro apps? ;)

Blah, Spotify stopped working after Update 1. Other than that I like it & luckily Spotlite works ok. 

Works fine for me. Did you get the latest Spotify update yet? 

What on Earth is the point in context menus opening from the left instead of the right? Why was that changed?

What on Earth is the point in context menus opening from the left instead of the right? Why was that changed?

what context menus ? all the context menus I've tried opening opens under the cursor expanding down and right like... always. 

what context menus ? all the context menus I've tried opening opens under the cursor expanding down and right like... always. 

rWOaoVd.png

The red circle shows where the arrow was. The left is the Desktop, the right is the Programs and Features app (ie Uninstaller)

The red circle shows where the arrow was. The left is the Desktop, the right is the Programs and Features app (ie Uninstaller)

I've updated, and all of those open normally to the right for me. :s

Does it do that on any account?

rWOaoVd.png

Check your mouse settings, and make sure they're not set for a left handed user.

My menus don't do that either.

Since I was forced to update, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Deselecting "Show Windows Store Apps on the Taskbar" works to prevent the taskbar from appearing over top Metro applications. However, this update feels kludgy and incomplete. I feel it broke things more than fixed them.

• Like 2

I hadn't really followed what the update would do so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it boots right to desktop now. Before, it would boot to Modern and I would like the dekstop icon anyways. I pinned the modern mail app to the taskbar and that worked. Other than that, I'm not sure what else is new.

Lovin the Update 1 now from Windows Update. No probs at all.

Didn't work right when I manually installed the files available last month, which I tried 3 times and ended up doing a reformat.

Definitely was excited to get the legit copy, cuz the new features are absolutely awesome.

Christ, what the fudge is this monstrosity that is curiously dubbed "Update 1" or "Feature Pack" ?

This is far from an "update" and far from "good"-- this has become extremely confusing and difficult to use, and I have no idea why any of these changes were given a thumbs up. 

Because the pointing-device-centric want a Microsoft-produced Start menu back, and these changes pave the way for it?

They have insisted and insisted that without being pointing-device-centric, Windows 8 is a failure - given the apparently large numbers of such users (especailly those that have denied being any such thing until the intervention that was Windows 8 sans Start menu), they likely have merit.

Spock's Theorem is looking very prophetic right now.

What I want to know is: When is a program coming from Stardock to remove the titlebar for Modern apps?

It's the only UI "enhancement" I couldn't turn off, and it bugs the heck out of me. Desktop UI elements don't belong in Modern.

Can't you turn that off in the navigation tab of the taskbar properties, the same setting that was introduced in 9.1

The option that says, "When I sign in or close all apps, go to the desktop instead of Start", right?  I already unchecked that, and it still takes you back to the desktop.  Apparently, whatever, "Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar" is doing, it supersedes the former option.

I installed the update last night on my sons PC, where is the new start menu button?

There is no new Start Menu button in this update.  The little start menu is coming back in a later update.

Christ, what the fudge is this monstrosity that is curiously dubbed "Update 1" or "Feature Pack" ?

This is far from an "update" and far from "good"-- this has become extremely confusing and difficult to use, and I have no idea why any of these changes were given a thumbs up. 

Pretty sure troll baiting is against the rules buddy..

For me its been like, Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. for dummies). The power and search icon, the close / minimize buttons on metro apps, Metro apps on the taskbar (they were efficiently placed for toggle on the left hand top click) . Its a mess (for me).

Can't you turn that off in the navigation tab of the taskbar properties, the same setting that was introduced in 9.1

The option that says, "When I sign in or close all apps, go to the desktop instead of Start", right?  I already unchecked that, and it still takes you back to the desktop.  Apparently, whatever, "Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar" is doing, it supersedes the former option.

To reiterate, when you have, "When I sign in or close all apps, go to the desktop instead of Start" unchecked, but have, "Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar" checked, you'll still be taken to the desktop once you close all apps.

However, if you have, "When I sign in or close all apps, go to the desktop instead of Start" unchecked, but have, "Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar" also unchecked, you'll be taken to the Start screen.

Feels like a bug honestly, even though it's probably intended.  Wonder if anyone knows a way to fix this.