Microsoft keeps pushing Silverlight optional updates! (Rant-ish)

I decided to move to from Windows 7 to 8.1 today on my laptop, and cannot figure out how to stop the Silverlight Update Express that keeps rolling in! There are 9 optional updates for Silverlight, and I keep hiding them, and hiding them, but they won't stop. Why do they have nine separate optional updates for the same damn thing? Are they trying to drive me crazy? I thought Microsoft was killing off Silverlight anyway?

Oh, and you don't even want to know how many Office updates that keep showing up for the parts that didn't even get installed... well, ok since you asked nicely, 32 updates for the parts that didn't even get installed.

On the plus side, wow, compared to the Windows 7 updates, this thing flew! So it wasn't all bad!

Thanks for listening! :)

No, no, I never install SilverLight, I just wish I could tell them "no" once and not have Windows update continuing to aks if I would like to install it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, randomevent said:

Killing off?  No.  Actively developing?  Perhaps not.

If the update is messing up you can just grab the latest over here and bypass it. - http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

They'd better not kill it off until SCSM Self-Service Portal goes HTML5.

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No, no, I never install SilverLight, I just wish I could tell them "no" once and not have Windows update continuing to aks if I would like to install it.

See above.

As long as you're using Microsoft Update it will be offered.

14 minutes ago, MorganX said:

They'd better not kill it off until SCSM Self-Service Portal goes HTML5.

That's the point.  MS doesn't stop anything from working...they just stop developing it and let it die on its own.

People like to use the phrase 'kills off' because it makes them feel better or something, but it makes no sense.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

use windows updte not microsoft update then...

1 hour ago, randomevent said:

See above.

As long as you're using Microsoft Update it will be offered.

Well, I needed to update Office so I switched to Microsoft Update, I guess I didn't notice the connection until you guys pointed it out. It makes sense that they would send out the update since I switched to Microsoft Update, but why send it 9 times? Why not just offer the most current or latest version once and be done with it? Did they think after the 8th time I'd go, "Well hell, if you really want me to install Silverlight that bad, I guess I will!"

I know it's not much, but when trying to get a new install updated, having to keep hiding the same update gets irritating and couple that with the 32 unneeded Office updates, AND researching every "important or recommended optional" update to filter the GWX crap. Why not name them, "Windows 10 Update tools", why name it, "Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8" - why is this the last line of the description, "This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system." and not the first? and what partners? Why are they being even a little deceptive here? Is this how they really want to move forward, trying to trick (not sure if that's the right word here) us into installing the GWX app to nag us into submission? Then when its removed, why offer a different update that does the same thing as the one that was removed?

Sorry, sorry, the last part was more ranting.

Anyway, thanks again for pointing out why the Silverlight updates were offered in the first place! Even if nine updates for the same damn thing is a bit obnoxious...

Silverlight is one of those things you either update it or you uninstall it completely, in which case they won't offer updates. 

8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Silverlight is one of those things you either update it or you uninstall it completely, in which case they won't offer updates. 

I wish it were that simple. I don't have Silverlight installed but I get an update every month wanting me to install Silverlight. I hide the update every month, and it promptly comes back again.

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Nope, never installed it, don't need it or want it, but I got one "optional" update nine times in a row, KB's - 2512827, 2526954, 2617986, 2668562, 2977218, 3056819, 3080333, 3106614, and 3126036. Every time I got one, I hid it, checked for updates and then got the next one and so on.

On 07/03/2016 at 7:51 AM, RandPC said:

I wish it were that simple. I don't have Silverlight installed but I get an update every month wanting me to install Silverlight. I hide the update every month, and it promptly comes back again.

There's your solution. 

• 2 years later...
On 3/7/2016 at 9:40 AM, DavidM said:

That would require Microsoft to have INTELLIGENT solutions, and not behave like arrogant little stuck-up brats.  But they ARE arrogant, so they will continue to refuse to listen.