Windows Update Problem


 Share

Recommended Posts

Windows Update essentially just says "checking for updates" forever even overnight and never finds any. While doing so the Windows Update Service is constantly eating 15-20% of my cpu resources.

 

I am concerned I will no longer get updates as a result of this

 

Things I have tried

1. Malware / AV Scan (nothing found)

2. Using Microsoft's Windows Update Troubleshooter

3. Using System Restore to a time it last worked

4. Re-installing the Windows Update Client

5. Re-registering the DLL files for the BITS service

6. Clearing out the Windows Update cache

 

none of these solutions seem to have helped, can anyone think of anything else that might work?

 

OS: x64 8.1 Pro

 

Note: Upgrading the machine to Windows 10 is not an option, or I would of done so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The install is around a year old, I have a few entries in my hosts file but emptying it didn't help so I assumed they weren't a problem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had this the other night. It said "checking for updates" overnight and then gave me a problem error when I looked in the morning. I re-tried that afternoon and it downloaded ok, albeit slowly. I wonder if it is on Microsoft's server side?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think A few times With Windows 8 I have had it say checking for updates forever, but then after a restart (start / restart) I opened Windows update and then it displayed all the updates. That or after clicking check updates they showed up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried installing this update?

 

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=3172614

 

Apparently, it has a fix for long update checks. Just remember before you try to install it, restart the Windows update service and disconnect from the internet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

I know OP said they have Windows 8.1 installed, but the fix #2.2 worked for me on Windows 7.

I also have 8.1 Pro x64, and have tried the other methods, but none of them worked. Finally, tried the 4th and after about 2 and a half hours of downloading / validating / installing the updates, WU was finally working again. That's why I pointed to that particular solution. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

try over VPN connection

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am having the same problem on my main system and in a VM.  I have reverted to a clean VM image and this is also having problems - just continuous checking.  I will run through some of the suggestions above but am thinking its a WU Server issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found that updating the Windows installer agent, follows by installing IE 11, if not already installed fixes this for our image. I have now changed the "first logon" batch file to install both patches automatically, so on next restart all patches come through quickly from our WSUS server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share