Photo

Your observations on Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. Feature Pack)

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#61 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:11

Um, defaults are defaults, i.e. how Windows behaves out of the box before user customization. No one's suggesting that customization be removed, simply that the defaults be different. You are completly missing the point.

strange because my system always alerts me to modern UI versions of apps that can open videos or photos and more.

#62 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:20

The icons are still ass ugly. Seriously? This is extremely unprofessional looking.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.png

That surfaced starting in 8.1... I think?

#63 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:21

The icons always come up when a new version of Windows or a update to it comes out, they're never going to fix/change the icons in this type of update.  If they ever do it'll be with a major release like 9, but who knows? 

#64 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:37

Um, defaults are defaults, i.e. how Windows behaves out of the box before user customization. No one's suggesting that customization be removed, simply that the defaults be different. You are completly missing the point.

Exactly. There was no reason for desktop users to be forced into the Metro environment with the bundled apps, not when desktop apps are better for most users. The converse is true for tablet users, where Metro is preferable to desktop apps.

#65 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:11

No one's suggesting that customization be removed, simply that the defaults be different.  

And, as far as I am aware, they are different in Windows 8.1u1...

we've also noticed that on desktop PCs without a touchscreen, pictures open by default in the Windows Photo Viewer, while audio files open by default in Windows Media Player. Pictures used to open in the Metro-style Photos app, and audio files used to open in the Metro-style Music app. On machines with a touchscreen, content opens in the Metro-style apps.

http://www.theverge....ktop-ui-changes

#66 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:49

Anyone able to crate a tool to bring back the context bar on the Start Screen?

#67 gawicks

gawicks

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:54

Personally I like the changes. I am used to the dichotomy in 8/8.1 but I can see people having a lot of trouble with it. It makes sense that they did this.  

#68 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 08 March 2014 - 13:20

Is the titlebar really that disruptive on metro apps?

No, it goes away pretty much after the app loads.

#69 mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 08 March 2014 - 13:27

Anyone able to crate a tool to bring back the context bar on the Start Screen?

If you press space instead of right clicking, it brings the context bar.

So you can press space, and then select the tile you want, and then deselect the tile space selected.

You probably don't want that solution, so I'll keep looking, and I might be able to create tool.

#70 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2014 - 13:50

can apps run in window mode with audio while using desktop programs without the need of using stardock modernmix?

#71 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 March 2014 - 13:51

No, it goes away pretty much after the app loads.

That's what I thought. In all honestly, I think that's one of the more positive changes in this update (a la Media Center).

If you press space instead of right clicking, it brings the context bar.

So you can press space, and then select the tile you want, and then deselect the tile space selected.

You probably don't want that solution, so I'll keep looking, and I might be able to create tool.

This was the second biggest change that I don't like. To make things worse, it doesn't even match the other context menus on the Start Screen, or Metro IE creating quite an eyesore. Glad to hear the space key still works to bring up the context bar.

#72 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 March 2014 - 14:01

This was the second biggest change that I don't like. To make things worse, it doesn't even match the other context menus on the Start Screen, or Metro IE creating quite an eyesore. Glad to hear the space key still works to bring up the context bar.

Yeah, I definitely don't like the new system for selecting multiple tiles. Yet again for every positive change we get another arbitrary and unintuitive one.

This update is a step in the right direction but it certainly doesn't eliminate the quagmire that is the Metro-Desktop integration.

#73 mastercoms

mastercoms

Posted 08 March 2014 - 14:29

That's what I thought. In all honestly, I think that's one of the more positive changes in this update (a la Media Center).

I really want MS to make it like the right click menu in search. It looks more fitting than the aero style context menu! Just looked, they changed it the context menu to be more flat, but I would rather them put that context menu on the desktop, instead of the vista context menu, and then have the metro style right click to be on the start screen.

8qnJ0A7.png

#74 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 08 March 2014 - 14:37

The 2 systems still don't have a combined look that compliments each other.

#75 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 08 March 2014 - 14:53

Has anyone know if these settings will apply to Windows Server 2012 R2? since is the same kernel and build number as Windows 8.1