• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,570 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:12

I'm not 100 sure in it. Different states may have different rules

That how it is in Florida? Arizona and Illinois, left lane is the slow lane.

I think you meant left lane is the fast lane.  This is true for expressways/freeways.  Not a standard road that intersects with other roads - meaning, a roadway that does not have on/off ramp.  Since I work and drive exclusively in Ill., I know there is no such law.

I think you're confusing an expressway/freeway/tollway with a standard, divided two lane road such as the one in the video.

#17 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,553 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:17

I think you're confusing an expressway/freeway/tollway with a standard, divided two lane road such as the one in the video.

Ahh, probably right.  And didnt meant to state that it was a law, just common curtesy.  But that is getting less and less common every day.   And never knew it was a law. 

I think you meant left lane is the fast lane. 

Yea.  Mistake on my part.  Thanks :)

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:30

They were both at fault. She wasn't abiding by the highway code, and he was overreacting when confronted by this. 

#19 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,865 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:41

They were both at fault. She wasn't abiding by the highway code, and he was overreacting when confronted by this. 

They were on main road...  not highway.

you can see the houses, stores, etc in the street in the video.

#20 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,607 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:45

^ Currently, Florida has no law prohibiting or restricting drivers from sending text messages or using cell phones while driving. Florida doesn't require hands-free devices; drivers are free to use any kind of cell phone. :ermm:

Living here, I can tell you this is not true. 

http://www.palmbeach...ng-today/nbB54/

I know it doesn't apply here but there is also a law for the fast lane on highways

http://www.wtsp.com/...03/11/2027276/ 

#21 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,865 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:46

Living here, I can tell you this is not true. 

http://www.palmbeach...g-today/nbB54/ 

Says not found.

#22 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:50

They were on main road...  not highway.

you can see the houses, stores, etc in the street in the video.

In the UK we'd call it a dual carriageway, 2 lanes each way. The same rules apply as motorways for us. Left lane for driving, right lane for passing. But you're on opposite sides of the road to us and there for opposite lanes? I've seen then run right through towns by houses etc here. Dont you have them run through houses there?

I mentioned I thought she was in the wrong because I saw Americans saying she was in the wrong lane and assumed she was in the US equivalent.

#23 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,607 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 23:50

Says not found.

fix'd

In the UK we'd call it a dual carriageway, 2 lanes each way. The same rules apply as motorways for us. Left lane for driving, right lane for passing. But you're on opposite sides of the road to us and there for opposite lanes? I've seen then run right through towns by houses etc here. Dont you have them run through houses there?

I can't be sure because it doesn't mention the road, but it doesn't look like a full-fledged highway like we have here. Plus, I'm also not sure exactly how the law differentiates the roads.

#24 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,865 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 00:02

In  USA, some states have concrete barriers on highway, while other states have cable barriers in the median.

Concrete barriers on highway:

highway-barriers.jpg

Cable barriers in highway median:

large_US-131-CABLE-BARRIER.jpg

Some main road including curve roads and ramps that have the guardrails like this:

Guardrail_Median_Barrier.jpg

fix'd

I can't be sure because it doesn't mention the road, but it doesn't look like a full-fledged highway like we have here. Plus, I'm also not sure exactly how the law differentiates the roads.

Thanks.

#25 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 00:05

fix'd

Yeah I understand, our dual carriageways aren't fully fledged motorways either, theyre 2 lanes each way, where motorways are 3 or more each way etc, just that the same rules apply, same speed limits, left lane is driving lane, any others are passing etc. Just making assumptions here though based off of road similarities and what some other Americans have said.

Also in the US does what ever is separationg the middle change the rules? I've seen all 3 of those separating motorways in the UK but its still just a motorway with the same old rules.

#26 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,321 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 March 2014 - 00:21

Very confusing set of laws. PA designates the left lane as a passing Lane, but the speed limit laws prohibits exceeding the speed limit at any time. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The guy should have just passed to the right.

#27 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,607 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 00:30

Yeah I understand, our dual carriageways aren't fully fledged motorways either, theyre 2 lanes each way, where motorways are 3 or more each way etc, just that the same rules apply, same speed limits, left lane is driving lane, any others are passing etc. Just making assumptions here though based off of road similarities and what some other Americans have said.

Also in the US does what ever is separationg the middle change the rules? I've seen all 3 of those separating motorways in the UK but its still just a motorway with the same old rules.

There's really no telling here because our interstates are usually multiple lanes, 3 or more each way while our fastest highways, usually intrastate, are almost always two lanes each way (it's safer that way). The barriers could mean anything. Especially here in Florida where highways and roads alike go right through swamps.

It's pretty shoddy of the news agency to not include that detail... it seems they know that the woman did not help the situation but didn't want her to become the central point.

#28 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 644 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:24

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html -- Keep Right Laws

Most states require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic. In Florida, it looks as though this is also the case, but the left lane is not reserved for passing. Unless the female driver was going under the speed limit or slower than the speed of traffic (there didn't look to be much traffic), it seems as though she was legally in the clear on that point. 

To the commenter who said that the female driver should have stopped to see if the guy was okay, that's probably not a safe thing for her to do, considering the circumstances. The male driver was probably really angry and aggressive once he crashed his truck. She could pull over and call police though.

I'm surprised at how many people in Colorado (where I live) think that the left lanes are always the fast/passing lane, regardless of the type of road or speed limit. Common sense dictates that when driving around a city, people are going to have to turn left into lots and businesses (just as much as they turn right) and therefore would need to be driving in the left lane in order to do so. It's things like this that make me wish there were mandatory tests for driver license renewals. Don't even get me started on people's confusion with 4-way stops or u-turns. :s

I also see people whipping over 4 lanes of traffic at the last possible second --cutting everyone else off-- to make their turns. Please don't endanger the lives of others because you are about to miss your turn. There are other turns, I promise.

#29 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,716 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:42

I'm surprised at how many people in Colorado (where I live) think that the left lanes are always the fast/passing lane, regardless of the type of road or speed limit. Common sense dictates that when driving around a city, people are going to have to turn left into lots and businesses (just as much as they turn right) and therefore would need to be driving in the left lane in order to do so. It's things like this that make me wish there were mandatory tests for driver license renewals. Don't even get me started on people's confusion with 4-way stops or u-turns. :s

I also see people whipping over 4 lanes of traffic at the last possible second --cutting everyone else off-- to make their turns. Please don't endanger the lives of others because you are about to miss your turn. There are other turns, I promise.

People in Colorado drive crazy because they think they're in Forza Horizon or something.

#30 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,170 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:24

That how it is in Florida? Arizona and Illinois, left lane is the slow lane.

Haha, what?  Every time I'm in Illinois, the left lane is the 90-100+ mph lane.  Granted that is the Chicago area.

On all highways in the Milwaukee and Chicago area, there are "slow traffic keep right" signs every mile or so.

The two things that really p*ss me off are people that don't use their turn signal and people that sit in the left lane and hold up traffic.

Not really sure if the road she was on was a highway, but she certainly played a big part in provoking this guy.  It's simply common courtesy to stay in the right lane if you're holding somebody up.  I would hardly even consider that "tailgating" either.  There were a few car lengths most of the way until the guy passed her.  Minus the guy flipping her off and crashing, the female is 100% at fault here.