I wonder what improvements will be made, given that Tomb Raider was mostly "put the PC stuff onto the consoles". With this version they have to make it up from scratch etc.

I wonder what improvements will be made, given that Tomb Raider was mostly "put the PC stuff onto the consoles". With this version they have to make it up from scratch etc.

That's only partially true.  The original PC version had a lot of console assets ported over. For the Definitive Edition, they re-rendered all the textures at 4x the resolution, re-wrote TressFX so it was a lot more lean, implimented new (to the game) lighting techniques like sub surface scattering and new particle, cloth and object physics.  So there was a lot more in the game unique to next gen consoles and in many ways at 1080p looked better than the PC version.

I think that since their next-gen engine will be an iterative version of the last one rather than completely brand new, they would have got that up and running already on next-gen for Uncharted 4, which would be a large chunk of the battle.  So I suspect they will simply take a lot of what has been done for Uncharted like lighting and physics etc and put it in TLoU.  Aside from that they would need to re-render all the textures but that isn't such an arduous task.

Overall they have an opportunity to make significant improvements in graphics and performance with relatively little effort if they can piggy back off of the work done for Uncharted 4.

That's only partially true.  The original PC version had a lot of console assets ported over. For the Definitive Edition, they re-rendered all the textures at 4x the resolution, re-wrote TressFX so it was a lot more lean, implimented new (to the game) lighting techniques like sub surface scattering and new particle, cloth and object physics.  So there was a lot more in the game unique to next gen consoles.

I think that since their next-gen engine will be an iterative version of the last one rather than completely brand new, they would have got that up and running already on next-gen for Uncharted 4, which would be a large chunk of the battle.  So I suspect they will simply take a lot of what has been done for Uncharted like lighting and physics etc and put it in TLoU.  Aside from that they would need to re-render all the textures but that isn't such an arduous task.

In the anouncement video I thought they said for the console version they started off with the PC textures, and downscaled them? And for the definitive version they were able to simply stick in the original PC textures instead of the downscaled.

Either way I hope they bring it out, I completed the game on Normal and was in the early stages of completing a run on Survivor difficulty before my friend took his PS3 back. If it comes out on PS4 I'll take it and start my Survivor run again, and keep it for the multiplayer, that was fun.

Don't worry, either way it will be more impressive than the PS3 version, technically at least - sheer numbers mandate it. This isn't MGS:GZ where Kojima literally plonked the 360 version on an X1 disc with an emulator, while the PS4 version got the full treatment. This is a first party crown jewel, Sony will make sure it is well taken care of and it's been planned since day one obviously.

In fairness the TR textures i'm just going by one dev interview I read so the PC may have had better textures that they re-used.

This isn't MGS:GZ where Kojima literally plonked the 360 version on an X1 disc with an emulator

Just how bad is the X1 version?  I know there were some discrepencies but I didn't know it looked *that* bad... I will have to have a look

In fairness the TR textures i'm just going by one dev interview I read so the PC may have had better textures that they re-used.

Just how bad is the X1 version? I know there were some discrepencies but I didn't know it looked *that* bad... I will have to have a look

MGS:GZ on the Xbox One looks almost identical to the Xbox 360 version, while on the PS4 it put the PS3 version to shame (including the X1 and X360 versions). Google some video or screenshot comparisons.
  • Like 1

Just how bad is the X1 version?  I know there were some discrepencies but I didn't know it looked *that* bad... I will have to have a look

It looks like a 360 game, no question about it. Doesn't stop it from being fun, and i wouldn't say being 360-level makes it ugly. Just that put next to other X1 games and the PS4 version it's clear there was very little effort put into it. The first thing that came to mind when i started playing it were PS2 originals on PS3...you know the ones were the image is just stretched, not even properly upscaled. That kind of murky. Of course not that bad really, just has that look.

• 2 weeks later...

Now officially announced as The Last of Us Remastered

Naughty Dog community strategist Arne Meyer detailed the PS4 version on the PlayStation Blog where he noted that it would be in 1080p and include "higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, upgraded textures, along with even more improvements."

Another update this "Remastered" edition will bring is optional audio commentary for the cinematics with creative director Neil Druckmann, and lead actors Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson.

Further adding value to the package, The Last of Us Remastered will include all of the original game's DLC, including the Left Behind single-player expansion, the Abandoned Territories multiplayer map pack, and the mysterious multiplayer add-on Reclaimed Territories pack.

Pre-orders from various retailers will comes with the following perks:

100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode.

Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single-player campaign.

Increased Crafting Speed for use in the single-player campaign.

Increased Healing Speed for use in the single-player campaign.

9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the single-player campaign.

Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the single-player campaign.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-09-the-last-of-us-remastered-for-ps4-revealed

Neil Druckmann confirmed 60fps on twitter as well.

That's great to hear that they are putting some effort into the port.

It still bugs me a bit that I already bought all of this content and now there is going to be a new definitive edition to buy. I am tempted to buy day one though :laugh: Maybe I can hold off for it drop in price.

Personally think that if you already played the SP DLC and experienced the MP, then it's not worth the $60. However, if like me you sold your PS3 back in Oct in preparation for PS4 and therefore didn't play the single player DLC nor really spend time with the MP, might be well worth the purchase.

Personally think that if you already played the SP DLC and experienced the MP, then it's not worth the $60. However, if like me you sold your PS3 back in Oct in preparation for PS4 and therefore didn't play the single player DLC nor really spend time with the MP, might be well worth the purchase.

That's where I am having already bought it all.

This situation is coming up more and more with these 'HD' remakes and ports. I almost feel like waiting I should have waited on buying consoles games that came near the start of this generation. I could have waited and got a much better deal. This is not something that has happened in the past, so its something new to keep in mind going forward.

GTA 5 is another one of those things, except there I did choose to wait, and it may pay off.

That's where I am having already bought it all.

This situation is coming up more and more with these 'HD' remakes and ports. I almost feel like waiting I should have waited on buying consoles games that came near the start of this generation. I could have waited and got a much better deal. This is not something that has happened in the past, so its something new to keep in mind going forward.

GTA 5 is another one of those things, except there I did choose to wait, and it may pay off.

It's natural for this to occur with titles released in the transitional period. Don't think of them as remakes, it's just releasing an existing game on a new system. In your case i'd definitely say a big no to re-buying TLoU. The extra pixels and effects are NOT worth your $60, or even $40. This PS4 TLoU is only worth it if you haven't played the DLC and MP, or if you haven't played TLoU at all.

There's nothing really nefarious or evil about these, i don't think of them as re-releases, just other versions. I believe people think they're a new phenomenon because the industry is much bigger, lots of us buy TONS of games, we really care about the industry and thus feel compelled to buy those tons of games, and publishers know this, so they naturally tap into this. If you look back to the 80's, it was perfectly normal for a game to come out on like ten different devices, as the market was very fragmented. In an age of important exclusives and most games confined to three platforms, these "remakes" do stand out.

I will be buying this again. I loved the original on the PS3 and would be a joy to play this again on the PS4. 
Already pre-ordered.

However, if like me you sold your PS3 back in Oct in preparation for PS4 and therefore didn't play the single player DLC nor really spend time with the MP, might be well worth the purchase.

Exactly my situation. I never had time to play the multiplayer either but people have raved about it so I will be putting some time into it. So stoked for this game.

I don't know why so many people feel the need to whinge about this, rereleases have always happened. I had mario 3 on SNES despite it having earlier been on NES.

Same as movies. Were these same people moaning when VHS movies were released on Laserdisc? Or DVD? Or Bluray? Or digital download/netflix?

They're supplying a demand. It isn't new, and is in fact very welcome if they can push out something like this faster while we wait for more Next Gen games with longer dev times.

• Like 1

All details below are confirmed
The Last of Us Remastered
  • $59.99
  • Release: Summer 2014
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Framerate: targeting 60 fps source
  • Higher resolution character models
  • Improved shadows and lighting
  • Upgraded textures
  • Several other gameplay improvements
  • In-game cinematic commentary from the cast and creative director
  • Includes: Abandoned Territories Map Pack
  • Includes: Reclaimed Territories Map Pack
  • Includes: The Last of Us: Left Behind single-player campaign

I loved the game, absolutely loved it, but I may just rent this. I just do not even have time to play the games I currently own and want to play, nevermind a game I have already played.

Now if you are somehow someone who has not played the game on the PS3, well lucky you. You get to experience what I personally believe is one of the best games of last generation with better visuals and enhancements all around.

• Like 3

First teaser, warning for spoilers (it spoils a scene best left for your own viewing)

First teaser, warning for spoilers (it spoils a scene best left for your own viewing)

The lack of AA burns my retinas. 

Exactly my situation. I never had time to play the multiplayer either but people have raved about it so I will be putting some time into it. So stoked for this game.

I don't know why so many people feel the need to whinge about this, rereleases have always happened. I had mario 3 on SNES despite it having earlier been on NES.

Same as movies. Were these same people moaning when VHS movies were released on Laserdisc? Or DVD? Or Bluray? Or digital download/netflix?

They're supplying a demand. It isn't new, and is in fact very welcome if they can push out something like this faster while we wait for more Next Gen games with longer dev times.

Also not sure why so many people are against this. It has always happened as you say, and is perfectly normal from a business standpoint and the consumer side. There's no gun sticking out of the TV forcing anyone to buy this, and publishers were always excited to make use of new technology - if they make more money in the process, why not? They are businesses after all. Your example of TV shows and movies is perfect. Ditto for music. Sure there were folks who didn't like "having" to buy all their LPs on CD "again", but seriously...it's not like it's compulsory!

I loved the game, absolutely loved it, but I may just rent this. I just do not even have time to play the games I currently own and want to play, nevermind a game I have already played.

Now if you are somehow someone who has not played the game on the PS3, well lucky you. You get to experience what I personally believe is one of the best games of last generation with better visuals and enhancements all around.

You must be the last Gamefly customer standing Larry :laugh:

And Audio, are you sure that's a legit trailer? It looks weird, like someone pretending to be Sony, it didn't even write Gamesradar properly (Games Radar?)

Also not sure why so many people are against this. It has always happened as you say, and is perfectly normal from a business standpoint and the consumer side. There's no gun sticking out of the TV forcing anyone to buy this, and publishers were always excited to make use of new technology - if they make more money in the process, why not? They are businesses after all. Your example of TV shows and movies is perfect. Ditto for music. Sure there were folks who didn't like "having" to buy all their LPs on CD "again", but seriously...it's not like it's compulsory!

You must be the last Gamefly customer standing Larry :laugh:

And Audio, are you sure that's a legit trailer? It looks weird, like someone pretending to be Sony, it didn't even write Gamesradar properly (Games Radar?)

Its legit, Playstation on Facebook posted it and its been reposted by pretty much all the Twitter accounts owned by Playstation as well.

I agree with you thou, it does look weird. Like it was fan made or something. I think its more of a teaser than a trailer personally.

Its legit, Playstation on Facebook posted it and its been reposted by pretty much all the Twitter accounts owned by Playstation as well.

I agree with you thou, it does look weird. Like it was fan made or something. I think its more of a teaser than a trailer personally.

It looks downright amateurish...if you say Sony posted it...then they need to take a good long look at who they paid/enlisted to put it together. Even the fonts look like something they did in ten seconds.

Last of US: Remastered 

$60 on US PS4 store for pre-order.

I never purchased this game on the PS3 so I might try it out once its out on the PS4.

I never purchased this game on the PS3 so I might try it out once its out on the PS4.

Your lucky. Your actually getting a great deal, even at full price considering the dlc included.

Never got around to it either with next gen, christmas etc. So will be picking this up. Hopefully its as good as I've head.

• Like 1

It's just as good as you've heard. Just for the puns I can't wait to play it again. I mean, what's the leading cause of divorce in long marriages? A STALE MATE! Any game that has stuff like that in it gets my vote of confidence :laugh:

And as trooper said, while $40 would have been a nicer price tag, it is true this $60 is the same as the $60 people paid last year, but this time includes and extra two-three hours of SP via the DLC and lots of MP content that wasn't in the day one release, so it is in effect discounted.

• Like 1