My copy will be arriving early tomorrow morning. They got the idea of preorder wrong but can't really complain :P

Not quite sure what's going on with those screenshots, looks almost like they took it from the PS3 version.

I caught someone streaming it on Twitch last night and it seemed really good, better than those screenshots indicate.

Go back and look at the PS3 versions, the textures look blurry and the lack of AA makes your eyes bleed.

Go back and look at the PS3 versions, the textures look blurry and the lack of AA makes your eyes bleed.

You're right. I was viewing on my phone earlier but now getting the 'view full res' option and its looking pretty damn good.

The game gets better shadows when using the 30fps lock:

We?ve just received our review copy of The Last of Us Remastered, and can confirm that there?s a benefit to playing with the 30 frames per second lock enabled (accessible via the Display Options). If you enable this option, not only will the frame rate never dip below 30 throughout your experience, but ?higher quality shadows in-game? will be enabled.

So, you have a big decision to make. Do you play the game at 60 FPS? Or do you play it at 30 FPS with a better visual experience? If you decide to play without the 30 FPS lock, the framerate may dip below 60 during certain sections of the game. However, based upon our experience with the title today, we can say that if you are a fan of 60 FPS, you won?t be disappointed. This is a port that looks amazing and is highly optimized. I mean, this is a Naughty Dog game, after all.

Naughty Dog Community Strategist Arne Meyer posted the following on NeoGAF

Alright all? rewind a little. (also why does this always happen when I?m not on a PC but on my phone?)

Improved shadows in 30 are added as part of the patch. As we were finishing up the day 1 patch we were looking at the game and released at 30 we had extra cycles we could do some further, unplanned, graphics enhancements ? and that turned out to me shadows. Naughty Dog being Naughty Dog ? we couldn?t let idle rendering cycles stay that way! icon_smile.gif

Shadows at 60 are absolutely improved over the PS3 version and the game just looks and runs best at 60. The improved shadows at 30 are a nice bonus ? but seriously, not reason enough to play at 30 unless you already needed or planned to lock it? well, it does help a little when you are in Photo Mode, but you can enable that at last minute.

Stick to 60 unless you have to or really do prefer 30. that?s why 60 is the default!

http://www.craveonline.co.uk/gaming/articles/731411-the-30-fps-lock-in-the-last-of-us-remastered-enables-higher-quality-shadows-in-game#/slide/1

I really do hope more developers take this approach moving forward, as it is just a tad more like PC gaming is.

Go for a higher framerate, you lose some graphical settings.

Go for a lower framerate, you gain some graphical settings.

Apparently people are in a rage as they think this means the 60 FPS is gimped, however they have stated it indeed has 2x better quality shadows then the PS3 version.

They just decided to make the shadows even better since they had some extra resources thanks to the frame rate drop.

I think this is great to give people the option.

I really do hope more developers take this approach moving forward, as it is just a tad more like PC gaming is.

Apparently people are in a rage as they think this means the 60 FPS is gimped, however they have stated it indeed has 2x better quality shadows then the PS3 version.

They just decided to make the shadows even better since they had some extra resources thanks to the frame rate drop.

You just can't win with the internet gaming community, right bunch of spoiled entitled brats.

They were aiming for 1080p60, which they would have got slated if they didn't hit. So they did it, and got slated because a lot of people wanted the original 30fps. So they had time to put in a 30fps lock (afterthought) which they also get slated for. Then with the extra resources freed up by 30fps, they decide to chuck in a little bonus with some better shadows, and they get slated again.

Honestly it's almost embarrassing to be a gamer these days because Naughty Dog have done everything the community wanted and even a bit extra :/

I'm with you on having some choice though, 60fps or 30fps with some more graphical fidelity. Would be a nice option.

• Like 2

You just can't win with the internet gaming community, right bunch of spoiled entitled brats.

Honestly it's almost embarrassing to be a gamer these days because Naughty Dog have done everything the community wanted and even a bit extra :/

I'm with you on having some choice though, 60fps or 30fps with some more graphical fidelity. Would be a nice option.

Honestly I am close to being done with it all myself.

Gaming is my preferred hobby. Always has been, always will be.

I am a member of this site, and sites like Neogaf, because of this fact. It is a way to keep up with all the news about my favorite hobby, and even discuss it if wanted.

However I am tired of the discussion these days. I truly am.

It has never been the most mature of discussions, I can recognize this fact, however I do feel it is at an all time low.

Perhaps it is just because I am older now and although I am just a couple of years old then the average age for a male gamer, I am no doubt considered the old man in gaming forums.

It just seems the "gaming community" is dominated by kids these days. At least I hope it is based on the comments and reactions I am seeing.

• Like 2

I am a member of this site, and sites like Neogaf, because of this fact. It is a way to keep up with all the news about my favorite hobby, and even discuss it if wanted.

It has never been the most mature of discussions, I can recognize this fact, however I do feel it is at an all time low.

Perhaps it is just because I am older now and although I am just a couple of years old then the average age for a male gamer, I am no doubt considered the old man in gaming forums.

It just seems the "gaming community" is dominated by kids these days. At least I hope it is based on the comments and reactions I am seeing.

I am absolutely with you on that.  I don't know if it is because a lot of gamers these days have a massive overarching sense of entitlement that makes them such whiny little b****es or the fact that the level of connectivity these days gives literally everyone a voice online and its always been there. Either way it is not good and I agree the level of maturity surrounding gaming conversation has decreased significantly.

Perhaps we need to start an older gamers forum where we can just chill :D

Obviously if you run at 30FPS you can probably crank out some more advanced lightning or shadows (two taxing graphical properties). It's the exact same on any PC. You crank up the graphics your FPS runs lower.

Don't really see the issue, having 30FPS on parity with 60FPS just to keep people from crying is just stupid. There's a reason Driveclub for example is cranking out the graphics it is versus what it would look like at 60FPS.

More options like this in consoles games is the way forward, sadly it will just take time to be adopted through all the arguing and bickering.

Thank goodness someone else feels that way too. I thought it was just me :laugh:

Like you, I only follow this forum and Neogaf (neogaf mostly just for news since a lot of rumors start there). When I was younger, I followed many sites and discussions, but it started getting old. The same old arguments time and time again with people jumping from one side to another. So I cut back to just Neogaf and then added this site not long ago.

I do agree with you that there seems to be an influx of younger fans that just can't be mature about this stuff and ruin most chances of discussions. That group has always existed, but it seems to be at an all time high right now. Maybe part of that is due to how accessible the internet and forums are compared to even 10 years ago. Any jerk with a smartphone can jump on and wage war all they want :laugh:

Gaming is what I really enjoy doing, dealing with these silly discussions is not enjoyable at all. It just leaves a bad taste and I don't need that. I could happily go without ever seeing a general gaming forum with the way things are going.

I am absolutely with you on that.  I don't know if it is because a lot of gamers these days have a massive overarching sense of entitlement that makes them such whiny little b****es or the fact that the level of connectivity these days gives literally everyone a voice online and its always been there. Either way it is not good and I agree the level of maturity surrounding gaming conversation has decreased significantly.

Perhaps we need to start an older gamers forum where we can just chill :D

Sign me up! :laugh:

I have found that the only forums that stay cool are developer forums or forums dedicated to a small group. Either way, it requires heavy moderation. Any general forum open to anyone is going to have to fight against the hordes that poor over the internet.

Why is it "embarrassing"?

I mean how does the attitudes & behaviour of others on the internet impact you & your expeirence with games?

It just seems a little melodramatic to me.

I'm sure there may well be some rough spots with it being a PS3 port, but it clearly can look damn good as well

14761620655_bb85d35679_o.png

14575159627_74536336c1_o.png

Those are direct screen grabs

I'm sure there may well be some rough spots with it being a PS3 port, but it clearly can look damn good as well

i just think its a little deceptive of them to say that the 30fps mode option has nothing to do with the 60fps framerate performance, when to keep that framerate performance they had to cut and reduce effects compared to the original.

ND didn't help themselves by claiming that the 30 FPS option is exact same as 60 FPS and is available only for "Cinematic look" (whatever the ###### that means) and not because of performance. I saw a tweet somewhere (probably on GAF) from one ND developer who overemphasized that 30 FPS is exact same.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

<<snipped>>

That second screenshot is from a PS4? :s If true, they clearly needed more time.

ND didn't help themselves by claiming that the 30 FPS option is exact same as 60 FPS and is available only for "Cinematic look" (whatever the ###### that means) and not because of performance. I saw a tweet somewhere (probably on GAF) from one ND developer who overemphasized that 30 FPS is exact same.

That second screenshot is from a PS4? :s If true, they clearly needed more time.

The gaf post from the ND dev explains that it was added last minute, but when they originally said 30 and 60 were the same they were at the time.

No they only added the 30fps option because certain sections of the gaming community whinged and moaned that 60fps would ruin the feel of the original game. There was to be no 30 lock originally, it was added just to give people an option after they said they wanted it. And the extra shadow detail was added right at the very last minute just as a complete aside, again just to add some extra value. When the 30 lock was put in they were otherwise on par with it.

Seems like some people seriously need to just chill out a bit and just enjoy the game.  It is only a game, afterall.

Gamers love to make themselves look spoilt. Its quite sad. Oh, a shadow doesn't look right,I'm not buying it. Oh, its not 60fpsso no chance I'm buying that ...

Pathetic really. When did gaming become about numbers and not the sheer amount of fun you get from a title?

Gamers love to make themselves look spoilt. Its quite sad. Oh, a shadow doesn't look right,I'm not buying it. Oh, its not 60fpsso no chance I'm buying that ...

Pathetic really. When did gaming become about numbers and not the sheer amount of fun you get from a title?

Ironic given your recent posts in the resolution thread :laugh:

Its pretty amusing watching you all defend tlou with the same arguments you strike down when used for X1 games.

• Like 3

Its pretty amusing watching you all defend tlou with the same arguments you strike down when used for X1 games.

Not ironic .. Just woken up and realised I don't give a toss.

Hardly the same arguments though, is it?

Not ironic .. Just woken up and realised I don't give a toss.

Hardly the same arguments though, is it?