Which start menu (software) do you use for windows 8.1?

I use the "Classic Shell", like so many others. Any computer I install 8/8.1 on I also install Classic Shell, and always others to do so as well.

I like a clean desktop. I have a couple folders that hold stuff, and that is all.

I can see the start screen on a phone, or tablet... but never on a desktop computer.

As a matter of principle I refuse to use Win8.x and advice everyone to avoid it. So start menu alternatives are in my case not necessary.

Why would you refuse it? Because it is faster and more lightweight? Because of your own opinion about os design?

Why would you refuse it? Because it is faster and more lightweight? Because of your own opinion about os design?

Because of the crappy interface & the arrogance of Microsoft. I agree that under the hood it's much improved, but the interface is our interaction with the OS, and it SUX!!

Classic Shell, but that has nothing to do with disliking the Windows 8.x Start screen (I have the option to go the Start screen pinned on the CS Start menu), I have CS installed on my Windows 7 virtual machine as well. 

Hit Windows key, start typing, profit.

i can't imagine why people would ever want to type what they are looking for rather then just 2 clicks... for this reason, I use classicshell..

Reiterating some of the earlier comments, I too can't stand Stardock for the way they treat their customers with the lack of support. However, I have found Start8 to be the best option available. It has a very professional feel to it and ties in very well with Windows 8. Doesn't feel like it's an add on. They have the look and feel correct. Classic Shell for me looks very amateurishly done and just looks horrible when installed.

At Home: I use a combination of Start8 and RKLauncher. My most used programs are in RKLauncher.

At Work: Just the Windows Start Screen. Although I still don't think it works well with desktop. I find it is able to do what I need it to do for work purposes. Mainly Microsoft Office, which I have pinned to the Start Screen. I also don't have any need for Metro apps or live tiles.

Because of the crappy interface & the arrogance of Microsoft. I agree that under the hood it's much improved, but the interface is our interaction with the OS, and it SUX!!

What's bad about it? just the startscreen? Since everything else is almost the same.

What's bad about it? just the startscreen? Since everything else is almost the same.

Dunno, the default desktop theme is pretty hideous as well.

Dunno, the default desktop theme is pretty hideous as well.

There you might have a point, though my desktop looks like this since I can't stand the default windows theme on any windows version:

sharp_wip7_by_seahorsepip-d7m3lnb.png

• Like 3

i can't imagine why people would ever want to type what they are looking for rather then just 2 clicks... for this reason, I use classicshell..

Hmm, press windows button, click tile.

Hmm, press windows button, click tile.

Yup. The Start Screen is just like the items pinned to the Start Menu, only with a lot more room for pinning. If MS would just add jump lists to the Screen it would be perfect.

If you stil have to rely on the UI to do your tasks, you have a lot to learn. Learn to use (Win) + R and PowerShell (, ...) and you know how to use Windows the right way.

If you stil have to rely on the UI to do your tasks, you have a lot to learn. Learn to use (Win) + R and PowerShell (, ...) and you know how to use Windows the right way.

The arrogance of the geek community still astounds me. I'd like to see grandma fire up power shell and use windows "the right way".

Because typing is faster. Especially if you have some scripts that help you doing your tasks. Apps are nice to work with and stressless at home but if you want to get some work done, do it with your Keyboard.

Examples with no click: winver, msconfig, regedit, mmc, (main).cpl...

Because typing is faster.

you are different then most.

if you want to get some work done, do it with your Keyboard.

and what if you aren't working?

Because

using this for an example... when you are browsing the web, do you type in ALL your addresses? or do you click on your favorites? I, as with most, like to click rather then type what we want when we can.

i use start8 but in I give all my customers who hate windows 8 (which is most but not all) classic shell. In fact i'm thinking about using it too.

"The right way"... that's quite funny!!

• 1 month later...

you are different then most.

and what if you aren't working?

using this for an example... when you are browsing the web, do you type in ALL your addresses? or do you click on your favorites? I, as with most, like to click rather then type what we want when we can.

Win+R, iexplore www.microsoft.com

:-)

Btw. By now I can type my password on a german keyboard with the us keyboard applied. Lol HP bugs.

Start screen for me! I find I can navigate it faster than I would a traditional start menu. Though, I do have several licenses to both Start8 and StartIsBack.

Start Screen. Good riddance to hidden applications and God-awful folder hierarchies.