6 posts in this topic

Posted

No, Google Isn't Going To Kill Its Nexus Devices

Carrier-friendly phones via the Android Silver program should debut next year, but Nexus phones and tablets will also endure.

Rumors of the demise of Google's Nexus line of "pure Android" devices have been greatly exaggerated. When Google launches the official release of the new version Android L later this year, expect a new Nexus device as well.

True, Google is changing the way it rolls out high-end Android smartphones. It's working on a new program called Android Silver, in which Google would pay top manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Motorola and Sony to build Android smartphones to its particular specifications; cellular carriers like AT&T and Verizon would then sell them in retail stores. Android Silver will likely debut next year.

Every time Google releases a new named and numbered version of Android, it also announces a new Nexus device, built by one of Google's top manufacturing partners like LG or Samsung. Dave Burke, the head of Android engineering and the Nexus program at Google, says that the company plans to keep doing just that.

"People just get excited by concepts and forget why we do things,

Posted

What doesn't make sense is how Windows Phone is getting official apps that are available in Android but yet, google still have his hatred toward anything related to Microsoft and not making any attempt to release an official app. Sorry for going off topic. But Google really make me angry for been Anti-Microsoft.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good to hear. I like the concept of the Nexus phones and also like they are relatively cheap, unlocked and can be bought directly from Google.

Posted

We'll have to wait and see. Some people are speculating that Google will not release a Nexus phone. That doesn't mean they're killing the Nexus line though. There was a recent leak of a 9" Nexus tablet made by HTC. Personally, I don't think it makes a lot of sense for Google not to release a cheap Nexus phone. I love my Nexus 5.

Posted

The two first sentencs of the article, are copy/pasted two times.

Posted

Praise the Lord! Need a new tablet and I want a 10" nexus 10 v2.0 if possible. The 9" will have to do if no new 10 though.