110 posts in this topic

Posted

Potatoes

Mickey D's uses varieties like the Russet Burbank, which have a nice oval shape and just the right balance of starch and sugar. Excess sugar can cause a fry to have brown spots where it's over-caramelized, leaving a burnt taste and deviating from the uniform yellow-arches color. Just in case, the spuds are blanched after slicing, removing surplus sugar.

Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate

Taters can turn a nasty hue even after they're fried

2 people like this

Posted

Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate is the acid in baking powder. Makes it foam and cause baked goods to rise without yeast.

tertbutylhydroquinone is an anti-oxidant, which a lot of people pursue in their diet. Even the EU calls it safe. Just because something is a problem for rats doesn't mean it's harmful to people.

The meaty.taste is known as umami and the one given is just one way to get it. Milks have an umami flavor, including breast milk, and so do items like tomatoes, fish sauce, anchovies, shellfish etc. Dunno how those would work with fries.

Double-frying (low temp, cool, then high temp) is EXACTLY how a good cook prepares fries in their kitchen. One of the oldest tricks in the potato book.

Dextrose - meh, also an old trick when doing fries.

Salt - meh.

Posted

Yummy.

Posted

I said this before to my friends, anyone that eat in McDonald's. Most likely will die of a stroke or heart attack.

1 person likes this

Posted

I said this before to my friends, anyone that eat in McDonald's. Most likely will die of a stroke or heart attack.

If you eat there regularly and don't exercise sure.

13 people like this

Posted

To be honest I've looked at the box ( yes the box in the deep freezer with like 36 lbs in it or whatever it is) and there's like 20-30 ingredients. I'll try to snap a picture for you guys. Check back in a day or two if I don't, oh well, but there's quite a bit involved there.

1 person likes this

Posted

You know what I tell people, if you eat anything you will most likely die of one of them... it's not what you eat, its how you eat.... Small fry from McDonalds not bad, largest fry 2 times a day not good.... besides all the political/health nut BS around about fast foot, a lot of restaurants are WAY worse to eat at... Ruby Tuesday for example... some of their meals are the equivalent of 2+ large big mac meals at mcdonalds... for a single meal and people think oh it's a restaurant with cook prepared food, it must be better.... not true

To be honest I've looked at the box ( yes the box in the deep freezer with like 36 lbs in it or whatever it is) and there's like 20-30 ingredients. I'll try to snap a picture for you guys. Check back in a day or two if I don't, oh well, but there's quite a bit involved there.

I'll save you some time....

FRENCH FRIES:

Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid

[Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean

Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness), Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

*Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.

2 people like this

Posted

no pepper?

Posted

If you eat there regularly and don't exercise sure.

Which is true for way too many people.

2 people like this

Posted

Potatoes ? Contains actual potatoes ?  shocking :huh:

1 person likes this

Posted

Po-ta-toes.

Oil and salt. :p

2 people like this

Posted

Yes. There's a reason why when these get cold they no longer taste like any food known to man. And, don't even try and reheat them.

You see. French Fries made from fresh cut potatoes can get cold and still taste like potatoes, albeit cold, fried ones. And, if you reheat them in an oven, they taste almost like they did after they were first fried.

Oh yeah. And, McDonald's is for the devil, Bobby.

Posted

dont blame mcdonalds for a persons bad health, blame the person who can't control their food intake. the only crime mcdonalds is responsible for is that they stopped offering the supersize option.

3 people like this

Posted

Ingredients? What about free samples instead? Also apparently there's nothing french in those fries, time for a class action lawsuit!

Posted

Po-ta-toes.

Ba-na-naaaaaaaaa

3154484980_1_4_z23jQCDa.gif

4 people like this

Posted

dont blame mcdonalds for a persons bad health, blame the person who can't control their food intake. the only crime mcdonalds is responsible for is that they stopped offering the supersize option.

Blame nations which have a large lower class living below the poverty line unable to eat healthy because that costs more money.

But that is pol. not sci.

4 people like this

Posted

What I find shocking is, McDonald's charges more for a large fry than what a 5 pound bag of potatoes costs at the grocery store -- and people pay it. :pinch:

Posted

Convenience has a cost. I'm sure if people had the time and motivation they would make their own french fries or whatever food they want.

Posted

Am I the only one who likes the taste of the french fries . . . ? I will admit that I do not eat them often.

1 person likes this

Posted

I rarely eat there these days but maccas fries and kfc chips are hard to beat.  Actually gourmet polenta chips are the only thing that comes close.  Nothing in the list is surprising except salt, anyone who ever played theme park in the day knows you need to over salt them to increase drink sales!

Posted

Dead people, corpses, cadavers is whats inside McDonald's french fries. :x :x :x

And don't even think about McDeadnald's "burgers". :wacko:

Posted

Blame nations which have a large lower class living below the poverty line unable to eat healthy because that costs more money.

But that is pol. not sci.

I blame people, not countries. Not matter how poor you are, if you want to eat healthy you can. Go to any supermarket that have a good price and buy healthy veggies and fruits. Even a tuna can is better than a $1 burger.

Posted

Am I the only one who likes the taste of the french fries . . . ? I will admit that I do not eat them often.

Honestly, McDonald's fries are NOT the best I've ever eaten.

2 people like this

Posted

After frying my own potatos, I cannot eat McD crap ever again.  And I will not. Unless I have not eaten anything for a few days, I will not consider taking a bite.  It is vile.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm doomed.

1 person likes this