Yes. There's a reason why when these get cold they no longer taste like any food known to man. And, don't even try and reheat them.

You see. French Fries made from fresh cut potatoes can get cold and still taste like potatoes, albeit cold, fried ones. And, if you reheat them in an oven, they taste almost like they did after they were first fried.

Oh yeah. And, McDonald's is for the devil, Bobby.

If you're in the US you've got to try the fries at 5 Guys Burgers & Fries! They get them shipped fresh everyday and cut them onsite. There is a chalkboard in the store telling you where "today's" potatoes came from.

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu/nutritional-information.aspx

Blame nations which have a large lower class living below the poverty line unable to eat healthy because that costs more money.

But that is pol. not sci.

And also allowing one on "food stamps" to use their government subsidy at fast food stores as we do in the US. It used to be you could only buy the essentials with subsidies like food that you cooked, not frozen pizza and Coke a Cola. That version you could stretch your subsidy and make it last for a family but now they blow their whole subsidy check at fast food places in a week. Family of 4. $25 will buy 5 lbs of beef, oatmeal,milk,cheese,fresh veggies,etc that will last 4-5 days maybe more if you're careful and eat leftovers. $25 at a fast food place will get you what, 1.5 visits for a family of four?

Blame nations which have a large lower class living below the poverty line unable to eat healthy because that costs more money.

For the price of a single McDonalds meal I could go to Lidl or Aldi and get enough vegetables for a healthier meal. Hell I could get even more Veg if I opted for the canned variety.

• Like 1

I have to call bull on that, because it actually costs more to eat fast food every day then to make your own food

• Like 3

Honestly, McDonald's fries are NOT the best I've ever eaten.

I never understood the "best" ratings on things... were I am in Pennsylvania there is an amusement park called Kennywood, and everyone says they have "the absolute best fries in the area"... yeah, got them a couple times... worst fries I've ever had... sure they make them from scratch there... all they do is cut them with a mass fry cutter press... dip them in water for a few seconds, then throw them in peanut oil..... they are always soggy, have NO taste to them to the point they want you to put gravy or cheese on them just to have taste... and they are always over cooked....I'd rate them the worst fries in PA but some how bad food always gets some huge cult following.....

I have to call bull on that, because it actually costs more to eat fast food every day then to make your own food

Not necessarily, my time is worth "X" so if it takes my "Y" to make my own food and (X * Y) = more than running in and picking up some fast food; it's cheaper for me to buy fast food.

Ingredients? What about free samples instead? Also apparently there's nothing french in those fries, time for a class action lawsuit!

Somewhere out there in America, there is someone dumb enough to do this. 

Not necessarily, my time is worth "X" so if it takes my "Y" to make my own food and (X * Y) = more than running in and picking up some fast food; it's cheaper for me to buy fast food.

the whole my time is worth X thing is bull also, you are not paying yourself to make food, and 90% chance you are making that food on your off time anyways. I could also argue that taking a crap costs me $100 because it's what my time is worth..

but lets use your analogy in my normal day.... takes me 20 minutes to make a quick lunch / dinner... ok at $175 an hour that cost me $58 to make it plus food cost..... takes me 20 minutes to run from work to mcdonalds both directions plus wait time (that is a real time for me, about 8 minutes each direction In normal traffic and about 2-3 minutes at the drive thru)...  oh look $58 again...

It should be pointed out that this only applies to the US. No hydrogenated oils or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate are used in the UK.

In the UK the ingredients for McDonald's fries are:

Potato

Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed)

Dextrose

Salt

I find it hard to understand the criticism about McDonald's being unhealthy, as in the UK the ingredients are relatively high quality. In the US for instance the chicken nuggets are made using "boneless chicken meat" whereas in the UK only chicken breast is used; in the US they used caged eggs from hens in horrendous conditions whereas in the UK only free-range eggs are used; in the US HFCS is used instead of sugar in most products, where in the UK it is only used for the Big Mac sauce; in the US they used pink slime, whereas in the UK it was never used.

As we have seen time and time again the US has much lower food standards than any other developed nation.

Is it really saving you time, you may live longer by spending a little extra time by eating healthy. In the long run fast food has cost you a lot more than you think.

Actually, you CAN spend less time cooking, by cooking a huge varied meal when you have the time, and then placing it in freezable containers, so you are a reheat away from delivious and cheap homemade meal.

However that takes planning, dedication and desire to eat healthy, something your average McD eater ain't got time for!

You CAN eat delicious healthy meals spending same time and money, as on your meals in McD (it does take time to get there and back, assuming you don't live in the building!)

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.png

My off time still has value. If I'm cooking for my family then yes, it is cheaper to make dinner. But when it's just me, do I really want to prep dinner, eat dinner then spend the time washing the dishes? The answer to that question is always no.

And to the "crapping" scenerio; there's never been a moment in your life when you don't have time to poop? Too much going on and taking those few minutes in the bathroom would just slow you down so you decide to wait until you have the time? I'm guessing yes...

Eating McDonald's doesn't mean I don't eat healthy. I probably eat healthier then 85% of the people here and I eat fast food at least a few times a week.

I'm making home made fries today :)

Peeled and cut them, fry them once at low heat for about 4,5 minutes

Tonight I'll refry them at high heat for about 2,5 minutes

Add salt and done

Better than any fast food chain

• Like 2

I just recently cut out most fast food but I still find it funny sometimes that everyone likes to talk about how much we are all killing ourselves and how horrible its gotten yet the average life span keeps going up and its up far more than it ever was before things like fast food even existed.

I always wondered why in the 80s it seemed like the fires were so much tastier at mcds 

I always wondered why in the 80s it seemed like the fires were so much tastier at mcds 

Because the recipe was different.

In fact I would actually like to eat in the first few McD when they opened up back in the day,  before mass production.    And I love my local burger joint that had similar stuff that is done on one-by-one basis

You'd think they would have chosen someone a little more fit when showing off what their fries can do to you. :laugh:

Feeding a family at McDonald's everyday would not be cheap.  Not seeing your point here...

I just recently cut out most fast food but I still find it funny sometimes that everyone likes to talk about how much we are all killing ourselves and how horrible its gotten yet the average life span keeps going up and its up far more than it ever was before things like fast food even existed.

I don't see the point in being overly cautious about what can kill us, because we're going to die anyway. You could follow every rule in the book and get struck by lightening. 

Fast foods can only sell the garbage the countries allow them to sell. Here in Italy they use much better ingredients e.g. no GMOs, no high fructose corn syrup, much higher quality meat, etc. That still doesn't change the fact that the calories/fats/salt ratio still make it unhealthy though.

• Like 1

That still doesn't change the fact that the calories/fats/salt ratio still make it unhealthy though.

That's the real issue. The portion sizes are simply excessive and most people aren't good at monitoring their caloric intake. For instance, a Big Tasty with Bacon has 890 calories, large fries are 490 calories and a milkshake is 500 calories - that's 1,880 calories, which is nearly the entire daily allowance for a woman and 75% of that for a man. That's ridiculous for a standard formula meal (i.e. a preset meal, rather than choosing your own meal). Even the standard meal (regular fries, latte) is excessive for the average person.

If you are aware of what you eat then there's nothing unhealthy about McDonald's (at least outside of the US) but certainly McDonald's should be criticised for not acting responsibly with portion sizes.

That's the real issue. The portion sizes are simply excessive and most people aren't good at monitoring their caloric intake. For instance, a Big Tasty with Bacon has 890 calories, large fries are 490 calories and a milkshake is 500 calories - that's 1,880 calories, which is nearly the entire daily allowance for a woman and 75% of that for a man. That's ridiculous for a standard formula meal (i.e. a preset meal, rather than choosing your own meal). Even the standard meal (regular fries, latte) is excessive for the average person.

If you are aware of what you eat then there's nothing unhealthy about McDonald's (at least outside of the US) but certainly McDonald's should be criticised for not acting responsibly with portion sizes.

Even with small(er) portions the calories can still be excessive. It all depends on the food/drink. And if portions sizes are too small for an individual, they might just order order multiple meals anyways.

Even with small(er) portions the calories can still be excessive. It all depends on the food/drink. And if portions sizes are too small for an individual, they might just order order multiple meals anyways.

Of course. My point is just that the portion sizes are excessive for the average person and no warning is given when ordering meals that have excessive calorie counts.