south carolina abuse disorderly conduct obscenity parenting epithets

67 replies to this topic

#61 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,402 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:42

However, excessive swearing does signify a disregard for social etiquette and an inability to comport one's self.

Whose social etiquette? Yours? Mine? Who gets to decide what is or is not impolite with regards to language? Who gets to decide which words go in the "naughty basket" and which words don't? Perhaps a relaxed attitude towards swear words is a natural evolution of culture and etiquette.

To assert that one is a condescending jerk for not swearing is preposterous; that's like criticising somebody for not speeding or not assaulting someone.

But that's not what I said. Or at least not what I meant. I don't care if people do or don't swear; whichever words you choose to use is entirely up to you. I take issue with people judging someone else's intelligence, self- control, or decency by language they choose to use. Perhaps I should have said "If you think by opposing swearing you are intellectually &/or morally superior to others, you're not." Or "If you judge another person based on how often they swear, you're a condescending jerk".

I thought what I said was pretty clear in the first place, though.

#62 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,264 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:52

Why do you need a vast vocabulary in order to express an idea or feeling? What does it prove when someone uses 2 dozens words to express something that could be said in two or three? Some idiot rambling on, trying to impress me with all of the obscure words he knows, sounds infinitely worse than someone who drops a few f-bombs here and there.

I'm suspicious of anyone who prefers verbosity over brevity. :p

Brevity and swearing don't go hand in hand, it typically just replaces a single word that means the same thing when used in the same context. So you are not being verboseness if you don't like to swear.

#63 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,437 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:22

Whose social etiquette? Yours? Mine? Who gets to decide what is or is not impolite with regards to language? Who gets to decide which words go in the "naughty basket" and which words don't? Perhaps a relaxed attitude towards swear words is a natural evolution of culture and etiquette.

Society determines what is and isn't acceptable, with swearing being considered unacceptable.

But that's not what I said. Or at least not what I meant.

Fair enough, I apologise if I misconstrued what you said.

I don't care if people do or don't swear; whichever words you choose to use is entirely up to you. I take issue with people judging someone else's intelligence, self- control, or decency by language they choose to use.

You might take issue with it but the reality is that it's mostly lower class, poorly educated people who swear profusely. I mean seriously, what do you think the chances are that this woman has a PhD? I could postulate she didn't without even looking at the photos. I mean, look at one of the quotes from her: "I didn't harm nobody". I think it's fair to assume she's unintelligent. Does that mean only unintelligent people swear? Of course not but nobody was claiming that. Stating the obvious doesn't make me a 'condescending jerk'.

#64 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 3,884 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:42

I wouldn't mind a little less public swearing.

People get out of hand sometimes.

It's just <censored> words; why let it <censored> bother you, you <censored> <censored>!

#65 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,867 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:59

But that's not what I said. Or at least not what I meant. I don't care if people do or don't swear; whichever words you choose to use is entirely up to you. I take issue with people judging someone else's intelligence, self- control, or decency by language they choose to use. Perhaps I should have said "If you think by opposing swearing you are intellectually &/or morally superior to others, you're not." Or "If you judge another person based on how often they swear, you're a condescending jerk".

I thought what I said was pretty clear in the first place, though.

I swear, but only when my emotions get the better of me (ie, stubbed toe), otherwise, I don't.  I consider it vulgar and ill mannered and don't care if people think I think I'm superior to them.  I'm not, I just have better public manners. :p

#66 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 2,990 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 August 2014 - 21:55

when I was ages 3+ my parents nick name for me was "little" and then a 4 character foul word for poo..... so essentially they called me little poo.... my mother swore all the time and I swear all the time who really gives a flying ###### ######? they are just words. 

#67 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,867 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:51

They might just be words, but they still have meaning, and to most, that meaning is offensive.

Why be offensive when there's no need to be?  It's really easy to avoid using such words altogether, and shows a little respect for those around you. Also, even though it usually isn't the case, people who swear a lot ARE often treated as being less intelligent, likely trouble causers, possibly criminals and generally not the sort of person to hang around with.

It'll also get you fired from most jobs.

#68 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,466 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:30

Listen, I swear a lot.. Online.. around friends.. etc.

But when you go out in public try to hold yourself to a higher standard.. Some people are offended by it.. It's the same reason I don't go out to eat some place with torn up and dirty clothes. They don't want it, and I want to present a good image. Likewise I don't just walk around cursing and swearing about everything.

It's one of those Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Do I think you should be arrested for swearing? No.. But if you're doing it around me, I'm not gonna be impressed. If it's at work, it's not going to get you better or faster service, and I'm not going to want to be around you.