11 yo Boy (Legally) Hunts and Kills Rare Deer, His Prize? A Facebook Flame War.

Report stories are now just facebook comment summaries?

Hopefully one day this family will get a taste of their own medicine.

And you live in a world were meat comes from factories but not dead animals? Hunting is a natural part of life, and not just for humans, for all of life...

Natural selection would argue that the deer should have died long ago.

That's a little bit selfish, don't you think? As if humans didn't take those animals their ground. And 60.000 auto accidents a year? Why is that the deers fault? 60.000 times every year, humans are involved in those accidents too. And they are the ones crashing their car in a deer, not the other way around (and how many of those ar fatal for the deer).

A lot are fatal to deer, maybe most, and also to people. Deer will march right out into a busy street if they feel like it, and we're not talking in rural areas either. Especially at night. My son in law had a 250 lb buck run out in front of his vehicle last year.

They don't march right into heavily populated areas and in front of cars, we are the ones building our roads and cities on their natural habitat. Beside, how many people live there? Would they be happy if those deers shot them, just for having a hobby?

Yes, they DO march right into populated areas, and sometimes they jump right through windows into houses and stores. There are 9 million people in Michigan, and deer can be found every-friggin-where from the deep woods to major airports, and small towns to downtown Detroit which has been settled since 1701.

Just another day in the 'burbs

http://youtu.be/AsyTEbLdpDM

I was presented with my first hunting bow at age 8, how's that grab you? 20 gauge shotgun by age 10. By 11-12 I had been presented with a 30-30 lever action rifle. My son first fired his compound bow when he was ~9, and my grandson picked up a bow at a similar age. He has a much larger one now.

Not at all uncommon in these parts, and most large department and sports stores here carry youth archery and hunting gear. Wal-Mart, Meijer, Sears, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dick's, Sports Authority....

And let's not forget that Canada has a strong hunting tradition as well.

You just back up my statement, you're an absolute gun nut.

I was presented with my first hunting bow at age 8, how's that grab you? 20 gauge shotgun by age 10. By 11-12 I had been presented with a 30-30 lever action rifle. My son first fired his compound bow when he was ~9, and my grandson picked up a bow at a similar age. He has a much larger one now.

That may be acceptable in your culture but I'm happy that it's not in mine. The indoctrination of children into violent pastimes is not something I support.

That may be acceptable in your culture but I'm happy that it's not in mine. The indoctrination of children into violent pastimes is not something I support.

Whilst we might not have hunting in the UK we have plenty of children (boys and girls) who are given toy plastic guns as presents for birthdays, Christmas etc.. Or failing that they run around with the fingers pointed into a gun shape pretending to shoot each other and fall over.

So exactly where is the line with regards to "violent pastimes" over here ?

The act itself is only a step or two along the same road and if you're up in arms (pardon the pun) about the actual act of shooting an animal then are you also horrified by the sale of toy guns to children ?

Also what about sports such as football, rugby, and other contact sports?

Do they not have the capacity to inflict injury (deliberate or otherwise) - should we be looking to ban those as well ?

Football is a very tribal sport with opposing team supporters frequently getting whipped into frenzies over the destruction of the other team and their supporters.

Someone has to hunt animals otherwise we dont eat meat - it doesnt just walk into the local abattoir and chop itself up into neat little plastic wrapped packages.  So if no child is ever taught to hunt and get over the shock of taking a life, how then do adults develop the necessary emotional skills to kill an animal for food ?  

If children were taught more survival skills it would be better for them as it would help their understanding of nature, get them outside being active instead of stuck indoors playing computer games, and if done right you wouldnt have gun toting or cross-bow wielding nuts just shooting anything that moves.

Whilst we might not have hunting in the UK we have plenty of children (boys and girls) who are given toy plastic guns as presents for birthdays, Christmas etc.. Or failing that they run around with the fingers pointed into a gun shape pretending to shoot each other and fall over.

So exactly where is the line with regards to "violent pastimes" over here ?

The act itself is only a step or two along the same road and if you're up in arms (pardon the pun) about the actual act of shooting an animal then are you also horrified by the sale of toy guns to children ?

The term 'violent' is defined as "using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something", which clearly isn't applicable to children's toys. Surprisingly enough playing with a toy gun is different to hunting and killing a wild animal. However, I do think that toy guns are culturally inappropriate and glorify reprehensible behaviour.

Also what about sports such as football, rugby, and other contact sports?

Do they not have the capacity to inflict injury (deliberate or otherwise) - should we be looking to ban those as well ?

The intention of football or rugby is not to injure, unlike boxing or MMA which I do think should not be tolerated by society.

Someone has to hunt animals otherwise we dont eat meat - it doesnt just walk into the local abattoir and chop itself up into neat little plastic wrapped packages.  So if no child is ever taught to hunt and get over the shock of taking a life, how then do adults develop the necessary emotional skills to kill an animal for food ?

That's where you're wrong. Animals are reared especially for food production and killed in a humane manner. Children don't need to develop any emotional skills to kill an animal for food because they should never have to do it.

If children were taught more survival skills it would be better for them as it would help their understanding of nature, get them outside being active instead of stuck indoors playing computer games, and if done right you wouldnt have gun toting or cross-bow wielding nuts just shooting anything that moves.

Hunting can be taught academically without any need to actually do it. Children are taught about wars but that doesn't mean they should be given guns and forced to fight for their lives. I'm all for children playing outside - I just don't believe they should be killing animals for fun.

You just back up my statement, you're an absolute gun nut.

Nope, just average, and most deer I've taken have been with primitive weapons in archery season. Going out this weekend.

I do enjoy the shooting sports like target, skeet and trap, and enjoy hunting and target using black powder muzzleloaded firearms.

Most of my handguns are defensive, as is common around here, but a couple are hunting or hunting sidearm weapons. Handy when you're traipsing through bear, mountain lion and hog country - hunting season or not.

Is anybody honestly surprised that killing wild animals for sport is controversial? It should be controversial. I find it extremely hard to relate to American culture when I see things like this.

Just Americans, eh?  Hunting isn't limited to here, so that is pretty irrelevant, or at least should be.

American culture has nil to do with this discussion, so please don't introduce alternative agendas here.

Not true, actually. We can, and DO, hunt in the UK.

Very true, my old boss owned a shotgun and regularly hunted. In fact I believe he had a few Farmer friends that would ask for his assistance sometimes in getting rid of some unwanted pests.

As much as I find myself questioning whether 11 is too young for this sort of thing, I remind myself that in some of the more remote parts of the world, this is probably seen as a very normal and life dependent skill for children. 

Why? You'd rather an 11 year old kid be sitting in front of his tv or computer playing a video game than out doing a physical activity and a hobby he appears to enjoy?

Deer hunting isn't particularly physical even if you are lucky enough to bag one. If not, its just a few days sitting around watching the ground freeze :P

I don't really see the problem here though.

Stupid kid.  Maybe someone should hunt him to see how he likes it.

Yep.  We need to arm the deer with hunting rifles to give them a fair chance.

Given I've actually seen a hunter killed by a deer (gored), Bambi is a lot less helpless than most people think. Theyre a wild animal with bucks weighing up to 400+ pounds, the strength of a small bull and multi-tined antlers that can do serious damage if they charge.

Just Americans, eh?  Hunting isn't limited to here, so that is pretty irrelevant, or at least should be.

The article is about an American child and there is no dispute that hunting is a more popular pastime in America than in other developed nations. It is relevant to this discussion, regardless of how much you dislike it. There is no agenda here but a discussion of the matter at hand.

The article is about an American child and there is no dispute that hunting is a more popular pastime in America than in other developed nations. It is relevant to this discussion, regardless of how much you dislike it. There is no agenda here but a discussion of the matter at hand.

Yeah, right.  You pointed out American culture regarding hunting, but stayed silent when others mentioned hunting in other cultures, including the UK.

It is irrelevant that it was an American boy.  This could have happened in many other places.

Yeah, right.  You pointed out American culture regarding hunting, but stayed silent when others mentioned hunting in other cultures, including the UK.

You are seriously mistaken if you think hunting in the UK is anywhere near as popular or widespread as it is in the US.

* Edited to avoid any implication I was trying to divert the discussion.

Gun ownership is legal in the UK too?my family owns numerous shotguns and I was a member of a local shooting club?yet that doesn't mean UK gun culture is equivalent to US gun culture. You are seriously mistaken if you think hunting in the UK is anywhere near as popular or widespread as it is in the US.

This is a thread about hunting, not gun culture.  Again, you are trying to switch to your own agenda instead of keeping on topic.

Its not like there is a pack of rabid American boys running around with AKs murdering deer and shooting guns in the air.

A boy went hunting.  He killed a white deer. People overreacted.  Life went on.

Time for the family to enjoy some delicious venison and the boy to have a lasting memory of going hunting with family.

This is not about guns.

You are seriously mistaken if you think hunting in the UK is anywhere near as popular or widespread as it is in the US.

No I suppose not, being a much smaller population, and I am guessing less areas to hunt.

Deer hunting isn't particularly physical even if you are lucky enough to bag one. If not, its just a few days sitting around watching the ground freeze :p

You should go hunting with my family then. Where they hunt the roads closely resembles a riverbed and their typical hunt consists of a day long hike on the average.

This is a thread about hunting, not gun culture.  Again, you are trying to switch to your own agenda instead of keeping on topic.

Stop deflecting. Hunting in the US is more common and culturally accepted than in other developed countries and some people have a problem with it, myself included. I do not think it is right for anyone, let alone children, to be hunting wild animals for pleasure.

Its not like there is a pack of rabid American boys running around with AKs murdering deer and shooting guns in the air.

A boy went hunting.  He killed a white deer. People overreacted.  Life went on.

Time for the family to enjoy some delicious venison and the boy to have a lasting memory of going hunting with family.

This is not about guns.

This pretty much sums it up!

Stop deflecting. Hunting in the US is more common and culturally accepted than in other developed countries and some people have a problem with it, myself included. I do not think it is right for anyone, let alone children, to be hunting wild animals for pleasure.

I hunted when I was a kid, with my dad and it was some of my most memorable times.  It is a good way to educate on gun safety, laws (like state/county deer limits), living with nature (so to speak), etc.  

I am not deflecting.  I have stayed true to my point from my first post to you.  You on the other hand have moved from hunting, to gun control.

You call it hunting for pleasure.  What you don't see is people also eat the animal.  I am sure you think it is more humane to get your meat from a slaughterhouse instead.

• Like 2

The article is about an American child and there is no dispute that hunting is a more popular pastime in America than in other developed nations.

>

You totally ignore Canada, which also has a strong hunting culture. At least once you're into Ontario and points west.

Deer hunting isn't particularly physical even if you are lucky enough to bag one. If not, its just a few days sitting around watching the ground freeze :P

Speak for yourself. Stand hunting is one thing, but a lot of hunters, and especially bowhunters, are stalk hunters. And even then, stand hunters may move miles between stands midday.

You totally ignore Canada, which also has a strong hunting culture. At least once you're into Ontario and points west.

Those gun toting, hunting Canadians are  a plague on society.  

/s

You call it hunting for pleasure.

That's what it is. We're not talking about people raising their own animals for food - this is about people who get enjoyment from hunting and killing animals. I consider that unacceptable, as do others considering the backlash.

What you don't see is people also eat the animal.  I am sure you think it is more humane to get your meat from a slaughterhouse instead.

Yes, I do. Animals that are reared for food are killed for sustenance, not entertainment.