11 yo Boy (Legally) Hunts and Kills Rare Deer, His Prize? A Facebook Flame War.

Deer hunting isn't particularly physical even if you are lucky enough to bag one. If not, its just a few days sitting around watching the ground freeze :p

I don't really see the problem here though.

Being out in nature is a good thing though. If not hunting, then hiking or camping, or just to the park.

Honestly, I don't think kids get obese just because they're at computers or TVs or read books in the library, it involves a lot of other bad habits. Its good to get outside regardless, for other reasons.

I am not deflecting.  I have stayed true to my point from my first post to you.  You on the other hand have moved from hunting, to gun control.

You call it hunting for pleasure.  What you don't see is people also eat the animal.  I am sure you think it is more humane to get your meat from a slaughterhouse instead.

That's what it is. We're not talking about people raising their own animals for food - this is about people who get enjoyment from hunting and killing animals. I consider that unacceptable, as do others considering the backlash.

Yes, I do. Animals that are reared for food are killed for sustenance, not entertainment.

Wow theyarecommingforyou,, so you think the animals should have a sucky life AND still get killed for food? At least a wild animal gets to have a decent life before it gets killed, regardless of whether the predator is another wild animal or a human hunter. I suspect there are only a very small number of people in the US that hunt just for sport compared to the number of people that hunt and also eat what they killed. What's the problem with also enjoying it the experience?

You are seriously mistaken if you think hunting in the UK is anywhere near as popular or widespread as it is in the US.

No I suppose not, being a much smaller population, and I am guessing less areas to hunt.

Those are factors, sure. However, the main reason it's not widespread is down to culture. The only people that DO hunt, are country folk; and even then, it's not kids.  You have to be over 18 to get a gun license in the UK.

The legal minimum hunting age in the US ranges from no lower limit at all here in Michigan to usually 12-14.

The age at which they need a hunting license is different In many states kids up to 15-17 need no license, while here in Michigan kids under 10 need a Mentored Hunting license, which stipulates direct adult supervision during the hunt. All Michigan youth hunters MUST take state certified hunter safety classes, which include outdoor exercises that teach safely crossing obstacles with a firearm. Kids above 10 can hunt alone or as a separated member of a group.

As far as firearms possession goes, under Federal law you must be 21 to purchase a handgun (which are used for hunting.) For purchasing long arms you must be 18. Federal law also allows you to loan your firearms to another person or relative for legal use as defined by the State you live in.

In Michigan you must be 18 to posess as a handgun, though younger directly supervised use is OK, and long arms can be posessed by youths for legal purposes like target or hunting.

Ex: our high school had an indoor range and a rifle team, so it wasn't unusual to see a bus load of students with rifle cases. No biggie.

Those are factors, sure. However, the main reason it's not widespread is down to culture. The only people that DO hunt, are country folk; and even then, it's not kids.  You have to be over 18 to get a gun license in the UK.

YEah, but that's the same for the US to, you don't see a lot o new yorkers going out hunting. in fact I suspect city folks going out hunting is more prevalent in the UK with the old rich aristocracy going to their country homes to hunt. though probably less so now that the fox slaughters are banned. 

YEah, but that's the same for the US to, you don't see a lot o new yorkers going out hunting. in fact I suspect city folks going out hunting is more prevalent in the UK with the old rich aristocracy going to their country homes to hunt. though probably less so now that the fox slaughters are banned. 

Fox "hunting" was never hunting anyway. It was just a sick blood sport where a bunch of morons hunted a poor single fox on horseback and with a pack of slavering hounds until the fox was 3/4 dead from exhaustion and fear, and then was torn to pieces by the hounds.  It was a sick and disgusting pasttime that never had a damned thing to do with pest control and certainly wasn't hunting of any sort.

I'm referring to actual hunting. People with guns out in the country shooting deer (we have shed loads).  You only really ever see a tiny percentage of SOME country folks doing that.

You're 100% wrong about New York.

NY has over 900,000 licensed hunters of various types (large game, small game, trapping etc.), and judging by the proportions in other states probably well over 1,000,000 if you count youths who don't need a license. Fishing and hunting licenses combined are over 1,700,000 (#'s as of 2011, the last year tallied)

As to city folk not hunting, in most states there's a mass migration out of the cities and suburbs for the opening day of many hunting seasons - but especially for deer season.

Then there are those who hunt in other states, who may not be counted in their home state. Lots of those in NY as middle and upper class folks go on hunting vacations. Quite a few end up in Canada.

In Michigan on opening day (Nov 15) it's ~1.2 million deer hunters, most bumper to bumper for over 100 miles north of Detroit until people start fanning out on to other highways. It's not at all unusual for companies to hire temps to cover hunters who take vacation or personal days, and for some schools to have reduced schedules or even close because of low attendance.

We call it 'Christmas, with guns,' after the saying in the play & movie Escanaba in Da Moonlight

You're 100% wrong about New York.

NY has over 900,000 licensed hunters of various types (large game, small game, trapping etc.), and judging by the proportions in other states probably well over 1,000,000 if you count youths who don't need a license. Fishing and hunting licenses combined are over 1,700,000 (#'s as of 2011, the last year tallied)

As to city folk not hunting, in most states there's a mass migration out of the cities and suburbs for the opening day of many hunting seasons - but especially for deer season.

Then there are those who hunt in other states, who may not be counted in their home state. Lots of those in NY as middle and upper class folks go on hunting vacations. Quite a few end up in Canada.

In Michigan on opening day (Nov 15) it's ~1.2 million deer hunters, most bumper to bumper for over 100 miles north of Detroit until people start fanning out on to other highways. It's not at all unusual for companies to hire temps to cover hunters who take vacation or personal days, and for some schools to have reduced schedules or even close because of low attendance.

We call it 'Christmas, with guns,' after the saying in the play & movie Escanaba in Da Moonlight

In this case I assume "new York includes a fair but of suburbs that aren't quite metropolitan as well. and even then how many people does New York include.

The big cities here in Norway would also have a fair bit of hunters, but probably not as much among the young metropolitan people as in the younger generations those who have an  interest in such things are more likely to enjoy countryside living. 

or in numbers

Norway has a population of 5 million right now. 

New York has 8.4 Million

Norway currently has 464 176 people registered as hunters(not necessarily actively hunting), 12 558 that passed the hunter test this year(I haven't entirely checked up on this, but I believe it' only required for big game like Moose and probably deer) and 194 679 who paid the hunting license card this year, again, I'm not entirely sure what that entails, but if it's anything like fishing, you probably need to pay it to be allowed to hunt legally. 

Anyway, my point is that I don't think that hunting is really more widespread in the US, or rather less in Europe based on population and percentages. 

Just did some stats burrowing.

In Norway about 4.75% are hunters, and I'm betting many of these are Sami (src: Norwegian Assn. of Hunters)

In the US, counting youths, we just about double that to just shy of 10%, or over 32 million people - 8x Norway. If you count fishing and trapping it spikes to almost 40%.

I like zebra meat. ;)

if i ever go to south africa, i will surely try it.   i am not sure it is possible to find in many places.

Just did some stats burrowing.

In Norway about 4.75% are hunters, and I'm betting many of these are Sami (src: Norwegian Assn. of Hunters)

In the US, counting youths, we just about double that to just shy of 10%, or over 32 million people - 8x Norway. If you count fishing and trapping it spikes to almost 40%.

Actually, sami wouldn't have a higher percentage of hunters than regular Norwegians, possibly less in fact, but the fact they're pretty much regular Norwegians now with the exception that some still do large scale reindeer "farming" its not really a huge difference.

also if you count registered hunters we're also just shy of 10%.  and if you count fishing we'd definitely hit 40% as well, its pretty big here.

I'll say never

I would have said the same about Jaylen Fryberg

Are you serious...or are you just trolling?

I'm serious, hunting rare animals is wrong period.  A kid hunting animals is just asking for trouble.

I would have said the same about Jaylen Fryberg

I'm serious, hunting rare animals is wrong period.  A kid hunting animals is just asking for trouble.

Wow...ok then.  

271.gif

I didn't make fun of your opinion why are you making fun of mine?

I had hoped you were trolling.  Do you have any evidence to support your original statement?  As in...why do you believe that this 11 year old will grow up and go on a rampage...just because he hunts?  I hunted when I was a kid and turned out fine.

how soon before this kid is rampaging across his school campus hunting his classmates?

With a bow, no less?

We should probably ban sharp sticks while we are it.

I had hoped you were trolling.  Do you have any evidence to support your original statement?  As in...why do you believe that this 11 year old will grow up and go on a rampage...just because he hunts?  I hunted when I was a kid and turned out fine.

This 11 year old boy may not ever do that but he has a very much higher chance than those who have no blood lust.  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/why-the-wild-things-are/201302/do-mass-killers-start-out-harming-pets

You turning out fine is relative.

With a bow, no less?

We should probably ban sharp sticks while we are it.

not unheard of, just one story http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/01/man-killed-father-wyoming-bow-arrow-attack/1739125/