Another year with Windows

So, there are a lot of topics like "2 Years With Linux", so let's do this for Windows too. Why not?

So, today marks just another day with Windows, I've never spend any energy in counting how many days I've been on this platform (why do Linux users do that anyway)? But I'm fine to say that it has been a lot of years (been here since Windows 3).

So yeah, I'm on Windows because all software that you need is there and I don't care if it is open source. I mean, it's not like closed source software doesn't work. The main reason why I'm on Windows is the compatibility and because I don't want to do stuff the hard way (no need to test distro after distro, replace half my OS to make it like I want, find the correct drivers) and want stuff that just works from the start. 1 time install, and done.

So the other Tuesday. Windows asked me to reboot withing 2 days. Yeah, I did soo. I mean, I was back up to use my system just 3 minutes later and had some fancy new features here and there. That's Windows 8.1 by the way. Then I went to Windows 10, installed nicely in a nice 10 minutes, up and running. And then, I got 2 major updates. So updated those 2. Took 20 minutes, but it was a beta. I was fine with it, as long as it worked, it's alright.

So my mom also uses Windows 8.1. Loves the start screen, greatest thing since sliced bread. She's fine with it too, liked it realy much. No need to care about anti virus or maleware, Windows takes care of it anyway. No need to think about defragging too. I mean, who does that these days?

Well yeah, it just works...

Been using it since it's inception, almost 30 years now, not exclusively as I also use Unix and later Linux, and not every version of Windows either.  1-3 was in the "cute but only used occasionally" category, 9x was ok when it worked, 2K Pro was fairly decent (at the time), XP though almost got me to switch off of Windows permanently, buggy unstable wreck as far as I'm concerned.. aside from a cooling failure a few years back, the last time I've had a full OS crash was XP, and boy did it love to do that.  Got much better after Vista stabilized a while after it was released, and was re-hooked since then.  Loved 7, rock solid and never ever crashed once, even if a buggy video driver takes a dump the OS gracefully recovers, something other OS's still lack.  8 was ok with a few tweaks (better than 7 after that personally), really looking forward to 10, looking great so far in a VM.  

For me it's the "it just works" thing.  Initial tweakery and reconfiguration aside as different people like different looks/ways of doing things (have yet to find an OS that I liked out of the box), once it's running it stays running. Everything I want/need is available, be it applications, development, gaming, whatever, no compromises and it just keeps on going, stability is very important for my work. That's what keeps me from switching to other desktops full time.. I don't find myself missing things on the Windows side, but can't say the same on the others without resorting to emulation or other methods, just no real incentive to switch, never mind none of the other desktops really do it for me.  Doesn't have a lot out of the box but pretty much anything you can think of is available and can replace most everything if you so desire.. all the FUD of "lock in" is just that, you can still tweak the everliving crap out of it if that's your thing.. don't like something? Replace it, you can do that.  No driver issues, no performance issues, no farting around getting things to work properly.. I don't have the time or desire to fiddle with it anymore, barring user stupidity (no OS will protect you from yourself) the thing just works.

I do love *Nix as a server, have over a dozen systems here running it now (alongside a few Windows servers too), but strongly prefer Windows as my work desktop to maintain them.   Same with OSX.. got a Hackintosh set up for giggles, I can see why some people prefer it and can respect that but it just doesn't do it for me.  

I am a former Unix junkie who has been back on Windows for 3 years now and anti ms fanatic at one time too who hanged out at neowins polar opposite slashdot.org.

Freebsd went to ###### after 5 was released and was so bad the foundation redifined that stable meant api, not release. Uh yeah.

Linux Ubuntu works!! .. oh wait Wtf did this update do?? But next release yeah next release will be the year of the Linux desktop. No really. Oh chipset with wifi won't work. Oh yeah problem is the user which is, myself according to Slashdot for not bashing windows enough and wanting to free others of perfectly working XP boxen.

Got a nice new laptop with XP and finding myself using it. It works. School makes me keep not messing with it even though I use java for classes.

Then tried Linux on and saw the horrors of gnone 3 and the awesomeness of Win 7 on a new desktop. My ex wife mentioned if Linux is so superior why do I keep reinstalling it and tinkering with it? I had no answer.

2011 I took the plunge. Aero is gorgeous office files just work. Instant search blows me away. Only thing missing is software. Linux is king with php scripts and tools for database and Web Development. Windows is needed to test the browsers. In 2012 I got VMware workstation and use turnkey Linux where I don't need to tinker. Done!

... that and came to neowin.net as I am a pro Windows troll on slashdot.org now

Used windows for years and still do at work

I have used 3.11, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8

I used Linux in the house but still use windows XP and soon to be Windows 7 at work

Got my first computer when i was about 6, it just had DOS lol, it was a 286

I use whatever gets what I want done, quickly and efficiently. For games it's Windows, for most everything else it's OSX, for mobile it's Android. All the major OS's work and function just fine, I don't really quite get why the topic keeps coming up, especially considering that the majority of people do nothing but launch software from within a UI...neither of which has much to do with the actual OS outside of natively running on it, it's all background stuff...so why all this OS comparison and opinion stuff?

I don't see anyone comparing data transfer speeds or boot speeds rather most of these threads seems to relate more to the UI and task differences than anything else. I just find it intriguingly odd.

Oh cool. A thread to share our OS experiences. Hi, my name is Rapha?l, and I'm a Windows addict :)

Actually, I've been a Windows user since Windows 3.1. Then after Windows XP I went the Linux way for a lot of years. Until I joined a new team at work, which does .NET software development exclusively on Windows. To integrate more quickly in that team I decided to throw away everything Linux in my house and went full Microsoft (Windows 8, Windows Phone, .NET development). I kind of fell in love with Windows 8 (Hey there has to be at least one guy loving it :)) and I really enjoy developing in .NET.

About Linux (hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread), I share sinetheo's experience. Linux is nice when it works, but I indeed also spent a lot of time getting things work correctly. Things work in one release, and then are broken in the next. Kind of frustrating sometimes.

Oh cool. A thread to share our OS experiences. Hi, my name is Rapha?l, and I'm a Windows addict :)

Actually, I've been a Windows user since Windows 3.1. Then after Windows XP I went the Linux way for a lot of years. Until I joined a new team at work, which does .NET software development exclusively on Windows. To integrate more quickly in that team I decided to throw away everything Linux in my house and went full Microsoft (Windows 8, Windows Phone, .NET development). I kind of fell in love with Windows 8 (Hey there has to be at least one guy loving it :)) and I really enjoy developing in .NET.

About Linux (hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread), I share sinetheo's experience. Linux is nice when it works, but I indeed also spent a lot of time getting things work correctly. Things work in one release, and then are broken in the next. Kind of frustrating sometimes.

Linux distribution-maintainers all seem to revolve around a single philosophy - be what Windows isn't.

That may have worked IF Windows had remained what the predecessors TO Windows had done - a single-target operating system/environment

The problem that Linux (and everyone else) faced is that Windows refused to stand still.

It actually dared grow!

It broke free of the MS-DOS underpinnings and became an operating system in its OWN right (NT),  developed a robust suite of first-party, second-party, AND third-party software (3.x, 9x, NT) and then proceeded to get too big for the greenhouse (9x was killed off, leaving the NT-based XP.

NT itself is almost another story, instead of being a mere chapter - it started between ordinary PCs and UNIX/Linux workstations, then it started eating the workstation market (gaining a toehold, which became a firm FOOTHOLD, in the server market along the way).  It didn't just grow up, it put down firmer roots down the trunk, getting into luggables, then laptops, and now you have NT-based tablets and slates.

And it's still growing.

Windows is the Satchel Paige of operating systems - refusing to go gently - not only into the good night, but refusing to go at all.

No other operating system on the planet has the sheer range Windows NT does today - and that doesn't even count embedded and industrial usages, or even Windows RT.

It also refuses to rest on the many laurels and accolades Windows has earned - just like Satchel Paige; he didn't rest on HIS laurels, either.

I know for a fact that in the CEO's office at Microsoft is a copy of "Don't Look Back" (the autobiography of Satchel Paige) - Gates put it there when he was CEO.  Said copy is seriously dog-eared (Ballmer admits to having his own copy - he did NOT get it from Gates).  I would wager that Satya Nadella has his own copy - it seems to be on the bookshelves of driven and successful CEOs - Jack Welch has a copy, and he HATES to read!

I have used - and still use - other operating systems - however, Windows is STILL where I spend most of my day.

And, to be honest, it's a combination of what Windows has gotten right, and other OSes haven't gotten at all.

• Like 4

Linux distribution-maintainers all seem to revolve around a single philosophy - be what Windows isn't.

That may have worked IF Windows had remained what the predecessors TO Windows had done - a single-target operating system/environment

The problem that Linux (and everyone else) faced is that Windows refused to stand still.

It actually dared grow!

It broke free of the MS-DOS underpinnings and became an operating system in its OWN right (NT),  developed a robust suite of first-party, second-party, AND third-party software (3.x, 9x, NT) and then proceeded to get too big for the greenhouse (9x was killed off, leaving the NT-based XP.

NT itself is almost another story, instead of being a mere chapter - it started between ordinary PCs and UNIX/Linux workstations, then it started eating the workstation market (gaining a toehold, which became a firm FOOTHOLD, in the server market along the way).  It didn't just grow up, it put down firmer roots down the trunk, getting into luggables, then laptops, and now you have NT-based tablets and slates.

And it's still growing.

Windows is the Satchel Paige of operating systems - refusing to go gently - not only into the good night, but refusing to go at all.

No other operating system on the planet has the sheer range Windows NT does today - and that doesn't even count embedded and industrial usages, or even Windows RT.

It also refuses to rest on the many laurels and accolades Windows has earned - just like Satchel Paige; he didn't rest on HIS laurels, either.

I know for a fact that in the CEO's office at Microsoft is a copy of "Don't Look Back" (the autobiography of Satchel Paige) - Gates put it there when he was CEO.  Said copy is seriously dog-eared (Ballmer admits to having his own copy - he did NOT get it from Gates).  I would wager that Satya Nadella has his own copy - it seems to be on the bookshelves of driven and successful CEOs - Jack Welch has a copy, and he HATES to read!

I have used - and still use - other operating systems - however, Windows is STILL where I spend most of my day.

And, to be honest, it's a combination of what Windows has gotten right, and other OSes haven't gotten at all.

THey share that viewpoint (at least I did) because there experiences were about Windows 98 and not a real OS. These guys have not run Windows in 15 years??

Windows 98 was dos based. Registry would rot if you ran poorly run programs that altered it each time it ran which created thousands of junctions or copies of copies which slowed down the system immensely over time. It had no security. The list could go on and on etc ...

DOS itself too was quite terrible by the 1990s when 486s with 8 megs of ram were out. Why limit yourself to 640k and use hacks like memaker.

Anyway These Linux guys who are hardcore on Slashdot.org remember this as their only experience of Windows. As a result they are dumbfounded by articles like these and view their OS as a battle cry agaisn't tyranny.

I was a BSD Unix guy because I liked unix and simplicity and it came with a great book! Linux shell scripts are freaking whole programs with if/else loops. Not simple config files like BSD Unix and Windows are.

But XP started to change my opinion and 7 and Office 2010 were Microsoft's best operating systems. No reason to hang on to the past and I know understand where MS was coming from back in the dark days after working in intranet corporate sites. Freaking compability. It is why IE 6 refused to die and why Windows 9x had to be written instead of just NT fresh back in 1993.

THey share that viewpoint (at least I did) because there experiences were about Windows 98 and not a real OS. These guys have not run Windows in 15 years??

Windows 98 was dos based. Registry would rot if you ran poorly run programs that altered it each time it ran which created thousands of junctions or copies of copies which slowed down the system immensely over time. It had no security. The list could go on and on etc ...

DOS itself too was quite terrible by the 1990s when 486s with 8 megs of ram were out. Why limit yourself to 640k and use hacks like memaker.

Anyway These Linux guys who are hardcore on Slashdot.org remember this as their only experience of Windows. As a result they are dumbfounded by articles like these and view their OS as a battle cry agaisn't tyranny.

I was a BSD Unix guy because I liked unix and simplicity and it came with a great book! Linux shell scripts are freaking whole programs with if/else loops. Not simple config files like BSD Unix and Windows are.

But XP started to change my opinion and 7 and Office 2010 were Microsoft's best operating systems. No reason to hang on to the past and I know understand where MS was coming from back in the dark days after working in intranet corporate sites. Freaking compability. It is why IE 6 refused to die and why Windows 9x had to be written instead of just NT fresh back in 1993.

I also want to add that same compatibility curse is now infecting Linux as well.

The hate on SystemD and how init is the best EVER when it can't do things in parrellal, use SMP, or do events is outstanding and how Unix admins HATE CHANGE! The kernel is unmanaged and won't change because that is how it is. Power management has regressed. No one wants to change X as compatibility even if it is truly terrible.

MS had some big challenges back in the 1990s to switch away from dos to NT systems and again with security and IE and menus. The Linux crowd doesn't want to change and as a result I left. The tables are turned.

Thanks for this OP, quite clever...

I have used Microsoft's OS since the MS-DOS days.  Old habits from back then when I first started my fascination with computer still haunt me.  Even though I have 24GB RAM on my desktop, 8GB on both laptops, I am always trying to shave things off in the background...doesnt make it faster,,, cant get faster than instantaneous.  Thanks SSDs!

Windows 7 has been awesome, never once had a problem and have been using it since its beta.  Windows 8.1 ...meh not for me but I see the good and ugly with it.

So far Win 10 - looks to be great

I have messed with linux a few times, always had it in a VM or dual boot scenario and it usually collected dust after getting it the way I wanted it.

It doesnt offer anything better than Windows.  In fact in many ways its pathetic in comparison - gee these indie games sure are.....uhh... who made this an 8 year old ?

Technology is supposed to make things better and easier for us - plain and simple.

Clinging on to the geek/nerd persona is cool, Im all for that - nerds rule the world.  But I dont need to make my life more difficult to prove I can solve it.
I have a membership to Dallas mensa to prove that ... although I never tell anyone about it. (I can here since nobody knows me personally)

The "have fun paying for it" - I never understood - this isnt a 3rd world country where people have to decide if they are going to buy whale blubber for their lamps or eat bread for the next week.  I have ABSOLUTELY no problem paying for an OS and any software I need/want.

Reboots ?   Yeah I really want than 12 seconds back .... 12 seconds every few months - yeah thats ridiculous :rolleyes:

I want the polish and bells and whistles of a full blown corporate money-backed OS; not some indie project with so many variations its hilarious.

However, I try all the time to see if it has done something great - something Windows hasnt - and then I go back to Windows when I see nothing has been done.

As for malware -- this is a tech website - people in these forums and Hardware Hangout dont click on links in emails from Romania -- I dont have an AV on my Win10 (on it now typing this) -- whats the point ?  I know what Im doing... even though the linux world thinks Im not smart enough....

• Like 2

Thanks for this OP, quite clever...

I have used Microsoft's OS since the MS-DOS days.  Old habits from back then when I first started my fascination with computer still haunt me.  Even though I have 24GB RAM on my desktop, 8GB on both laptops, I am always trying to shave things off in the background...doesnt make it faster,,, cant get faster than instantaneous.  Thanks SSDs!

Windows 7 has been awesome, never once had a problem and have been using it since its beta.  Windows 8.1 ...meh not for me but I see the good and ugly with it.

So far Win 10 - looks to be great

I have messed with linux a few times, always had it in a VM or dual boot scenario and it usually collected dust after getting it the way I wanted it.

It doesnt offer anything better than Windows.  In fact in many ways its pathetic in comparison - gee these indie games sure are.....uhh... who made this an 8 year old ?

Technology is supposed to make things better and easier for us - plain and simple.

Clinging on to the geek/nerd persona is cool, Im all for that - nerds rule the world.  But I dont need to make my life more difficult to prove I can solve it.

I have a membership to Dallas mensa to prove that ... although I never tell anyone about it. (I can here since nobody knows me personally)

The "have fun paying for it" - I never understood - this isnt a 3rd world country where people have to decide if they are going to buy whale blubber for their lamps or eat bread for the next week.  I have ABSOLUTELY no problem paying for an OS and any software I need/want.

Reboots ?   Yeah I really want than 12 seconds back .... 12 seconds every few months - yeah thats ridiculous :rolleyes:

I want the polish and bells and whistles of a full blown corporate money-backed OS; not some indie project with so many variations its hilarious.

However, I try all the time to see if it has done something great - something Windows hasnt - and then I go back to Windows when I see nothing has been done.

As for malware -- this is a tech website - people in these forums and Hardware Hangout dont click on links in emails from Romania -- I dont have an AV on my Win10 (on it now typing this) -- whats the point ?  I know what Im doing... even though the linux world thinks Im not smart enough....

The earlier appeal to Linux was it had a ###### ton of free software before broadband was popular. It had compiliers, editors, frameworks, and you could tailor the gui to your hearts desire. Before mobile was out it was a DYOD DIYS motto. Visual Studio was not free back in 1998. I was angry when MS crippled their VS complier in the learning edition. I saw a box of Caldera Lite 1.2 which had gaming libraries a free C/C++ compiler, apache, and most importantly didn't crash!

Back then Linux had better power management and if you had dual SMP 366 MHz Celerons Linux could it for nearly free!

Fastforward today I get all of this on Windows and I have virtualization. Linux has backtracked and is too complex and buggy. Gnome and its frameworks are deeply entrenched so gui choice is limited to your apps :-(

GCC is terrrlble now and Clang is free and will be integrated with VS 2015. Many api's now have Windows counterparts. Again VM Workstation meets my needs in 2014. Power management is considerably worse for Linux now too. Things change and now the radically young idealists who used it in 1998 are the middle aged neophytes who hate change allied by XP loyalists. Not all but many.

MS was in transition at the time for compatibility so their OS really could not compete. Now Linux has 40 year old heritage it needs to think about.

Anyway that is why people run it. ... going off topic I know at this point :-)

But my experiences on Windows are positive mostly and forgot about the benefits

I am a former Unix junkie who has been back on Windows for 3 years now and anti ms fanatic at one time too who hanged out at neowins polar opposite slashdot.org.

Neither FreeBSD nor Linux are Unix. You're confusing ancient proprietary software with FOSS. As for Slashdot, that's a much more mainstream reflection of how the world views Microsoft and Windows.

Linux Ubuntu works!! .. oh wait Wtf did this update do?? But next release yeah next release will be the year of the Linux desktop. No really. Oh chipset with wifi won't work. Oh yeah problem is the user which is, myself according to Slashdot for not bashing windows enough and wanting to free others of perfectly working XP boxen.

Can you repeat that in English?

Got a nice new laptop with XP and finding myself using it. It works. School makes me keep not messing with it even though I use java for classes.

Can't argue with you there. I've got a machine happily running XP too. Probably Microsoft's best OS to date. Especially compared to the disaster that is Windows 8.

Then tried Linux on and saw the horrors of gnone 3 and the awesomeness of Win 7 on a new desktop.

Wait, you're comparing Gnome3 against Windows 7's Aero? Isn't that like comparing Apples to Oranges? After all, Gnome3 is designed to be touch friendly in the same way Windows 8's Metro is. If you want to compare traditional desktop paradigms, it makes far more sense to compare Win7 against KDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, LXDE, and so forth.

The good thing about FOSS though is that one's desktop isn't locked down. It's trivial to install multiple desktops / Windows managers and swap between them using a GDM. Unlike Windows, where if someone's unhappy with Window 8's Metro or Aero-less desktop, there's little you can do about. It all comes down to choice, something Windows doesn't even offer the user.

2011 I took the plunge. Aero is gorgeous office files just work.

I'd keep your Win7 disc safe then, because you'll struggle to buy a new OEM PC with it soon. As for office files, OpenDocument is vendor independent and works great in Gnome Office, GoogleDocs, and LibreOffice. Even Microsoft Office supports it. Don't tell me you're still encoding your documents in proprietary Microsoft formats?

Instant search blows me away.

$ locate *.pacnew

/me Blown away :laugh:

... that and came to neowin.net as I am a pro Windows troll on slashdot.org now

Did you just admit to being a pro windows troll? :whistle:

As far as Windows goes, except for the occasional oddity everything just works and the only complaints I have are for when I have to update a box from scratch o.o  Somewhat like OH CRAP WHAT THE HELL IS THAT KILL IT WITH FIRE except with less yelling and more extreme irritation.

As far as Linux goes, I might try SteamOS someday.  I doubt it'll be anytime soon, but having a free functional OS worth my time would be nice.  Judging by my experience the first time I tried to install it, I might have to wait another 5-10 years.

Neither FreeBSD nor Linux are Unix. You're confusing ancient proprietary software with FOSS. As for Slashdot, that's a much more mainstream reflection of how the world views Microsoft and Windows.

Can you repeat that in English?

Can't argue with you there. I've got a machine happily running XP too. Probably Microsoft's best OS to date. Especially compared to the disaster that is Windows 8.

Wait, you're comparing Gnome3 against Windows 7's Aero? Isn't that like comparing Apples to Oranges? After all, Gnome3 is designed to be touch friendly in the same way Windows 8's Metro is. If you want to compare traditional desktop paradigms, it makes far more sense to compare Win7 against KDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, LXDE, and so forth.

The good thing about FOSS though is that one's desktop isn't locked down. It's trivial to install multiple desktops / Windows managers and swap between them using a GDM. Unlike Windows, where if someone's unhappy with Window 8's Metro or Aero-less desktop, there's little you can do about. It all comes down to choice, something Windows doesn't even offer the user.

I'd keep your Win7 disc safe then, because you'll struggle to buy a new OEM PC with it soon. As for office files, OpenDocument is vendor independent and works great in Gnome Office, GoogleDocs, and LibreOffice. Even Microsoft Office supports it. Don't tell me you're still encoding your documents in proprietary Microsoft formats?

$ locate *.pacnew

/me Blown away :laugh:

Did you just admit to being a pro windows troll? :whistle:

If you are not a hardcore Unix nerd you are a troll on Slashdot. Plain and simple. Yes in 2011 there was no Metro. Windows 7 was where I wanted to be. FYI I just finally took the plunge to Windows 8.1. I use start8 and modernMIX by Neowin's parent company. It is much more usable than Gnome 3. Gnome 3 isn't touch friendly. It is just crippled.

Instant search I do not have to type archaic things to find my boss talking about some pics of a Christmas party 3 years ago. It indexes all the files by content by hitting the Windows key and typing. I do not even use the mouse. Windows 7 had this while Linux does not.

Neither FreeBSD nor Linux are Unix. You're confusing ancient proprietary software with FOSS.

Don't be too hard on it.. you're bad-mouthing Linux's roots (most of the ideas the Linux OS incorporated came from Unix..), never mind it's not all proprietary any more, you got open source and free options too.

Oh lord no, XP was a total dog. Inefficient and extremely unstable, can make it crash just by looking at it funny. A few seconds of tweakery and 7 or 8 will run circles around XP in both usability and stability. User dumbassery aside, it's solid as a rock.

Unlike Windows, where if someone's unhappy with Window 8's Metro or Aero-less desktop, there's little you can do about. It all comes down to choice, something Windows doesn't even offer the user.

Except that you totally can? There's tons of ways you can customize it, even replacing the entire shell is trivial settings change. Not that there's a lot of full-blown shell replacements out there of course, but that's a fault on the community if anything. (Apparently not that many people are actually interested in something like that.. a few came and went.) The guts themselves however, lots of options. That's what I love about people who push a single OS agenda down people's throats.. "oh it's all about customization".. except when it comes to the "bad" choice, then they totally refuse to exercise that right and claim it's impossible.

Don't tell me you're still encoding your documents in proprietary Microsoft formats?

When the majority of the world uses a particular standard, doesn't help by going with a different one "just because", especially when you actually have to work with those other people.

"theres a script for that"

Dont get me wrong, I really like PowerShell, dont mind the CLI - but I dont think it hs a place in home use... its 2014 ! c'mon  we shouldn't have to click on things anymore !!

It should just do it !

I am switching over to MacOSX full time and I kind of like it so far. Windows 8 debacle and the ugly Win 10 makes me less interested in windows platform everyday. 

I think OS-X is on the other side of the paradigm.

Mac OS-X ------------------------------------ Windows --------------------------------Linux

no tweaking ---------------- some tweaking ------------------------- must tweak

Is that a fair assumption ?

I admit, other than messing with it for a few minutes on a friend's machine, I havnt run OS-X on a Hackintosh since .... maybe 6-8 years ago

Dont get me wrong, I really like PowerShell, dont mind the CLI - but I dont think it hs a place in home use... its 2014 ! c'mon  we shouldn't have to click on things anymore !!

Eh depends on what you're used to. Grew up with Unix and later Linux and Windows.. almost 30 years of this computing nonsense, guess it's also due to using it before the "a mouse is just a fad" phase came and went. A console will always have a place front and center on my systems regardless of the OS.. sorely undervalued against what it's capable of. Not that I'm a slave to it.. I'll take click-click-done more often than not when I can ;D Obviously with a *Nix setup its a lot more beneficial as the desktop is built on-top of the OS versus being one and the same, sometimes you just have to use it, not that that's a bad thing. It's good to know regardless.

Eh depends on what you're used to. Grew up with Unix and later Linux and Windows.. almost 30 years of this computing nonsense, guess it's also due to using it before the "a mouse is just a fad" phase came and went. A console will always have a place front and center on my systems regardless of the OS.. sorely undervalued against what it's capable of. Not that I'm a slave to it.. I'll take click-click-done more often than not when I can ;D Obviously with a *Nix setup its a lot more beneficial as the desktop is built on-top of the OS versus being one and the same, sometimes you just have to use it, not that that's a bad thing. It's good to know regardless.

The console was about because no one knew how to tell a computer what to do. Yes the 1984 mac is a glorified etch a sketch comments came from those who did not want to waste cpu resources on a gui. But all it does is present a menu of commands to the user.

I suppose you can argue about control but do we really need it for 98% of all uses? A server is about it and programming real code in a program is what really is needed most of the time with the advanced scripting as glue. Yes it is quite outdated in 2014.

I've been back on Windows as my primary OS since 2011. My first Windows was 3.0 back in 1991, and I used every version since then except Vista because from 2004-2011 I was using Apple McProducts. Windows 7 is what made me switch back, but I didn't like Windows 8 at release. I use 8.1 now, plan to skip Windows 9, and install Windows 10 because it looks very promising.

I also use Slackware Linux because it is the best Linux for my needs and I keep an iMac around as well.

Linux people think Windows people are dumb.  Windows think OS-X is for people too stupid to use windows (linux would make their feeble heads explode)

But it is really just about using what appeals, what works, basically what gets the job done.

I see no reason to leave Windows right now, its doing what I need - Im happy.

The tweaker in me likes to change things, and being a techie I try to embrace many techie things

... unless they dont make sense. (If I wanted a watch, it would say Rolex or IWC on it, not Microsoft, Apple, or Samsung)

My iPhone syncs with the atomic clock - something Rolex and IWC dont do.

• Like 2

Rolex does have a patent for an atomic watch though.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120229222

OFF TOPIC

LOL  I didnt know that.

A few years ago, my family had the annual problem of "what to get the man who has everything ?"  My father had commented that because he had 3 Rolex(s) he would go for a time without wearing one, and it would lose time.  So we thought about getting him one of those watch turners.  I thought it was silly -  $30,000 for a watch and it wasnt accurate time keeper.

LOL  I didnt know that.

A few years ago, my family had the annual problem of "what to get the man who has everything ?"  My father had commented that because he had 3 Rolex(s) he would go for a time without wearing one, and it would lose time.  So we thought about getting him one of those watch turners.  I thought it was silly -  $30,000 for a watch and it wasnt accurate time keeper.

If I still talked to him, I'd tell him about this patent.  But since I decided not to work for the family company I have been ostracized somewhat.