Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I'm looking for some information about using Storage Spaces in Windows 10 with USB3 external drives.

At the moment i have 3 HD's storing my Movies and TV series., I do have a bunch of extra USB3 HD's not in use. those 3 HD's contain about 6TB of data.

I'm wondering if it's worth putting all these HD's into a Storage Pool with Parity so if one HD would crash i can recover everything easy. Just as some form of extra security.

I'm aware that this is not the ideal backup situation, or  that there are better option by going with a NAS. I'm not interested in that discussion at the moment, they are all to expensive :) I'm just looking for some info from people using Storage Spaces with parity that can confirm that it actually works reliably over time.

Anybody here that has experience with Storage Spaces in Win 10 with USB3 HD's? Please give me your opinion!

I used Storage Spaces and it was a giant pile of crap to be honest; very limited and has some strange caveats. Budman, a user here, told me about Covecube DrivePool many many moons ago and I now recommend this to everyone if you want to pool disks and have parity that works easily. Its 30 bucks but well worth it.

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I used Storage Spaces and it was a giant pile of crap to be honest; very limited and has some strange caveats. Budman, a user here, told me about Covecube DrivePool many many moons ago and I now recommend this to everyone if you want to pool disks and have parity that works easily. Its 30 bucks but well worth it.

Thanks for your reply! I'll have a look at DrivePool.

I've been doing a test run with Storage Spaces and so far it's been doing absolutely what i need it to do. I've even simulated a disk failure by unplugging one of the HD's and it restored everything fine after i added a new drive to the pool.

But before i commit to it i would like some more confirmation.

19 minutes ago, Stoffel said:

Thanks for your reply! I'll have a look at DrivePool.

I've been doing a test run with Storage Spaces and so far it's been doing absolutely what i need it to do. I've even simulated a disk failure by unplugging one of the HD's and it restored everything fine after i added a new drive to the pool.

But before i commit to it i would like some more confirmation.

I've had a problem here and there with Storage Spaces and weird drives or older applications, but overall I thought it worked very well.

I don't have enough spare drives to have any need for it though, so I said meh and moved on.