Windows 10 and gaming..

This is NOT a bash Microsoft thread. This is meant to be a serious discussion thread about Gaming and Windows 10. I saw the post on neowin about the Jan 2015 MS show about gaming.

at this point as a TP, how is gaming thus far? Reason I ask is, If it turns out to be a platform we deserve, I will upgrade without a doubt. I have a ton of games, most on steam. 

Anyone using the TP, can you give me some heads up on gaming thus far or is it impossible at this point being in TP mode?

I'm wondering, if I have a Nvidia 770m card in my laptop, will they build drivers so that it will support DX12? or subsequent cards will support DX12, after windows 10 is out?

Your card won't support any new features from DX12 but will gain the benefits from the DX12 optimizations to be closer to the hardware.  NVidia and AMD are working with Microsoft on DX12 and drivers for Windows 10.

excellent. I guess the trade off will be I'll be unable to have a DX12 card but will benefit still, from the optomizations. I'll take that!

excellent. I guess the trade off will be I'll be unable to have a DX12 card but will benefit still, from the optomizations. I'll take that!

As long as NVidia provide WDDM 2.0 compliant drivers you'll benefit both in gaming and every day tasks based on what I've read on the WDDM entry on Wikipedia.

Only issue my son has is a bug in TF2 that will make it kill the game and Steam, don't expect any updated to address it any time soon 

I'd expect SOME amount of game crashes. I'm more intrigued by the fact we hopefully have a new windows staff, developing windows that they'll build Windows 10 into the windows gaming platform they have been trying to build. i'd say they have surely built windows to boot much faster. But I'm simply just an old gamer

Only issue my son has is a bug in TF2 that will make it kill the game and Steam, don't expect any updated to address it any time soon 

Yep same here. But its the only issue I have with any games. All other games are working fine

Are there nVidia drivers for Win 10? I've been thinking about installing it since I like it in a VM but I won't want to lose the ability to play my games.

Are there nVidia drivers for Win 10? I've been thinking about installing it since I like it in a VM but I won't want to lose the ability to play my games.

No, but you can install the win8 drivers.

No, but you can install the win8 drivers.

Can you enable SLI too? I read that might be a problem.

I was feeling daring last night so I did an upgrade to Windows 10. It's working great. To get SLI working I had to kill the wsearch process. I'm just not sure if I should re enable the service now that SLI is enabled. Anyone know?

I was feeling daring last night so I did an upgrade to Windows 10. It's working great. To get SLI working I had to kill the wsearch process. I'm just not sure if I should re enable the service now that SLI is enabled. Anyone know?

The nVidia drivers are a bit fussy about applications / services running in the background when you enable SLI but they don't cause any problems once it's already enabled. Unless you actually disabled the service it will start again of its own accord, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been using SLI on Windows 10 without any OS specific issues.

I'm wondering, if I have a Nvidia 770m card in my laptop, will they build drivers so that it will support DX12? or subsequent cards will support DX12, after windows 10 is out?

First thing first.

Will Directx 12 be released for Windows 7 and 8.

First thing first.

Will Directx 12 be released for Windows 7 and 8.

For 7 no, since it goes out of mainstream support by the time DX12 is out. For 8 most likely, but it won't be the full package, only a subset of it that makes sense to be ported back. Just my guess.

For 7 no, since it goes out of mainstream support by the time DX12 is out. For 8 most likely, but it won't be the full package, only a subset of it that makes sense to be ported back. Just my guess.

also DX12 won't do anything for cards we own already. Our cards we have now, will benefit with DX12 but just won't be able to do DX12. I understand cards are being designed for DX12 now. I'll probably swap out this Nvidia 770M when the mobile DX12 cards come out.

also DX12 won't do anything for cards we own already. Our cards we have now, will benefit with DX12 but just won't be able to do DX12. I understand cards are being designed for DX12 now. I'll probably swap out this Nvidia 770M when the mobile DX12 cards come out.

From what I've heard, that's not true at all.  DX11 cards will get a massive performance improvement with DX12.  DX12 does enable some new features requiring new hardware but the biggest change doesn't need new hardware at all.

FAQ

Q: Should I wait to buy a new PC or GPU?

A: No

From what I've heard, that's not true at all.  DX11 cards will get a massive performance improvement with DX12.  DX12 does enable some new features requiring new hardware but the biggest change doesn't need new hardware at all.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

I said we will see a performance imporvement. you might have missed it...

hrisj1968, on 22 Dec 2014 - 14:33, said:

snapback.png