Android coming to Windows Phone 10

The day this happens is the day I sell my Nokia 1020. If I wanted to use an Android app, I would buy an Android phone.

wouldn't it be simpler to enjoy your phone still and not download the apps you perceive as Android based? Why stop using something you enjoy based on its ability to do something you have the power over not doing?

• Like 2

I agree the Hyper-V requirement was a very bad move for Microsoft. I was a Windows Phone developer and I was interested in keeping that pattern up, but once they mandated Windows 8 I stopped full press and delisted my apps. I wasn't very much interested in Windows 8 and them restricting my ability to develop apps for a phone to running Windows 8 on the desktop seemed very silly to me...

I'm sure I wasn't the only developer who either abandoned ship or never jumped on due to this stupid requirement, as you mentioned.

Even if Hyper-V offered a superior experience they should have still properly supported Windows 7, at least.

It felt like they were attempting to strong arm us into Windows store apps for the Tablet and Desktop. If that was the intention it hurt them a large amount in developer mind share. Especially since Android can be developed on practically any modern version of Windows, Mac OS, and even Linux. Apple requires you to use Mac OS, but they are in a better position to force such restrictions.

I agree that this transition that Android is in would have been a perfect time for Microsoft to steal valuable developer mind share from Android, but they haven't done a good job putting themselves in a position to capitalize on this. As such, Android will come out fine. Any loss Android will have in developer mind share will be absorbed by iOS.

LA, you COULD use Windows Server 2008 (in fact, any version of Windows Server that includes Hyper-V support) as your development platform - I have Windows Server 2012R2 in that role due to lack of EPT/SLAT, while still supporting Hyper-V.  However, I also took advantage of Website Spark Admin, and got 5 Server 2012R2 licenses for the cost of nothing.  (Said program is now dead.)

The bigger issue there was that Android cost less to develop for outright - they gave the development tools away (and still do - notice that both Eclipse AND Android Studio - both of which include the Android SDK, cost nothing) - in that sense, Windows 8 (or even Windows Server) was irrelevant.  The only way either was relevant - in terms of Android development - is that if you also used Oracle Virtual Box as an add-in to either Eclipse or Android Studio, you could NOT leverage Hyper-V, as one blocked the other, and neither supported Hyper-V at the time - in fact, Eclipse still doesn't support Hyper-V.  (While Eclipse DOES support HAXM, using HAXM stomps on Oracle VirtualBox.)

Further, I don't see iOS absorbing any Android-developer losses, due to iOS' own requirements - unless you use Xamarin, you are stuck using Xcode, which requires OS X.  (While Xamarin supports OS X, it also supports Windows, and even Visual Studio - which, as of VS 2015, ALSO supports Android - and Hyper-V.  If Android is in trouble as a development target, it is due to the transition from DALVIK to ART and the simultaneous addition of x86 as a target platform for Android itself - ARM's permanence is far from guaranteed.

While a developer can START as a one-OS house, they can't stay there, as even Plarium found out.  That means (if you write development tools) you have to address the multiple-target issue.

The day this happens is the day I sell my Nokia 1020. If I wanted to use an Android app, I would buy an Android phone.

good thing its a stupid rumor that will never ever ever happen

so they did all this work, converging of the OS, unifying the stores, merging and creating a single API for all different devices and screen sizes, only to completely break this by allowing a third party platforms apps that are made for one device type and screen size, and it doesn't even share the same design language? yeah ok

the most, they will release cross platform tools/api to build universal apps for multiple platforms, or utilities to convert other platform projects into universal apps.