Report: Radioshack May File For Bankruptcy Next Month

I remember that Radio Shack had Tandy computers....   also they sell phone flasher ringing for the deaf too.  Some of computer stuff are too expensive there when I was looking for USB cord for my computer.  I like Amazon is cheaper than others.

They are called the source by radio shack nowadays.

i am not surprised they are going out of business.

i went there a few times in last 2 years.  it is impossible to get help and the people working there don't know what they are doing! at all.  they told me they don't sell the stuff i found myself later on the shelve.

prices are brutal. they overcharged on everything.

how could they even last till today, i am not sure.

Extinction of one leads to flourishing of another.

As for competition who was RS competing with? I cant think of a single shop here in southern cali that sells the things they do @ that high of a price,  so you cant really say (at least here in so-cali) that RS was really competing with anyone. Local hobby shops ALWAYS had the same gear (maybe better) for lower prices.

an example of why I believed the banker bailout was wrong. A bank fails, another will rise up and take over

I hope they can stay a float, there's 10 radio shacks in my county alone!(Southern California Orange County)

It would suck to see people lose their jobs. The only thing I've ever bought something from radio shack was an apple hdmi adapter that i needed in a pinch. For everything electronic, I'd rather go to Microcenter or Frys.

they could have done better if they were made as mini microcenters or tigerdirects and not little verizon stores.

• Like 2

I used to work at radioshack in the early to mid 90s.  One of the biggest pushes then was the cell phones.  Each one you sold gave you $300 in commission.  The biggest sales were the penny or "free" phones.  Customers would sign up for no more than a penny, sign their $20 per month contract and away they went.  I was $300 richer by that transaction.  The next biggest thing was the TSP or Tandy Service Plan, which we touted would cover everything.....everything except things that were broken.  Many times we had to lie a bit to the service company so that the customers would walk away with a warrantied part.  All of the little stuff was irrelevant as far as commission goes.  It was sales though, your job was to sell anything to anyone even if they didn't need or want it.  Now with online stores and amazon, you can get things within a few days.  And if you do your homework on what you need 99% of the time it comes exactly right.  I think I have ordered 2 things online that wasn't what I needed or they sent me the wrong stuff. 

Long gone are the days of listening to The Eagles "Hotel California" with my Realistic Stereo STA Receiver and Realistic Optimus 1 speakers, while hitting a bong and sitting in a bean bag chair.

RIP Radioshack.

Long gone are the days of listening to The Eagles "Hotel California" with my Realistic Stereo STA Receiver and Realistic Optimus 1 speakers, while hitting a bong and sitting in a bean bag chair.

RIP Radioshack.

Ah, you were with Cheech and Chong, huh?

12cheech1024.jpg

• Like 3

A bankruptcy filing doesn't necessarily mean Radio Shack is going out of business. A Chapter 11 is simply a restructuring of debt. Obviously, they need to change their business model. It may be too late for that, but with a new company name, I could see an online model having potential. I do think Radio Shack's brick-and-mortar days are nearing an end. Too bad. I spent many hours of my youth there trying out the gadgets. And in a lot of small towns, Radio Shack is the only place to buy electronics.

Sears and Kmart will likely be next. The old stores our parents used to shop at are slowly going away.

an example of why I believed the banker bailout was wrong. A bank fails, another will rise up and take over

Yup. We could have saved a few $trillion in debt by allowing Economic Darwinism. Painful short term, but fewer shenanigans and more stable long term.

We didn't learn that lesson after the Savings & Loan crisis, and we still haven't learned it after 2008 because junk loans are back.

I remember working at a RS store in Oroville, CA. they were starting to lose their respectability by then a bit. had sales people steal your sales to steal a commission, I later confronted the guy and told him to leave my sales alone in the future. it's like a meat market, but meat markets have more respect. don't mean to disrespect a meat market. But its a kill or be killed job. you live or die by the commissions. 

however, in oroville is Californias welfare capitol. people literally would cash in their welfare checks for cash and then, shop in my RS store. it was sick. it's not a store of peoples needs as it is, trying to sell them stuff they DON'T need.

RS is its own enemy. they failed to remain relevant in anyway. the loss of jobs is the only thing that'll be missed.

RIP Radioshack.

^^^

Can totally relate.

I actually went into a RadioShack a few months ago. I needed a headphone adapter for my dad's old record player, so I looked for one in Walmart and Target. Neither store had it, and I was like, "What the hell, Radioshack is right there," and those SOBs had it. I haven't been to a Radioshack in ages. Really since I was a child in the 80s/90s, and I really enjoyed their Bring Back the 80s Super Bowl ad, but yeah, it's time to put that store to bed.

The bigger, and now GONE electronics stores in the UK all but killed the Tandy stores near me. It's a shame as they did have some cool stuff, and helped out in a pinch when I needed parts or peripherals relating to stereos (something I don't bother tinkering with anymore as it takes too long trying to source parts when I was doing it, ebay helps but I've lost interest now)

I needed an adaptor for my ColecoVision, so went to RadioShack (The Source). Lady had no idea what I needed when I told her what it was, then claimed not to have it. She then told me to buy a new console like a XBox 360 or PlayStation 3...I went looking myself, and found it..

Only bad experience I've had with them though..I go there once in a while for a few odds and ends..Then again, in a small city, they're the only place to go to sometimes lol

Anyone remember Heathkit? My first oscilloscope was a 10-12 kit, and one Christmas my parents bought me the SB-300 receiver and SB-400 transmitter. Had a blast putting those together. Tons of cool stuff.