HELP! Internal D drive wiped after upgrading to Win 10!

Files are corrupted?

What happens when you try to view the files?

Does your viewer refuse to display them, or does it just display random jpeg blocks?

Are the file sizes correct (not zero byte)? Have you looked at a few with a hex editor?

There are a number of programs which purportedly can recover corrupted files (obviously dependent on the extent of the corruption), you might want to give them a try.

Files are corrupted?

What happens when you try to view the files?

Does your viewer refuse to display them, or does it just display random jpeg blocks?

Are the file sizes correct (not zero byte)? Have you looked at a few with a hex editor?

There are a number of programs which purportedly can recover corrupted files (obviously dependent on the extent of the corruption), you might want to give them a try.

Hold on for a sec - you're asking someone with a very basic understanding of computers some pretty advanced notions and methods.

For instance, try to explain to layman the difference between looking at a represenation of something, and how its not the actual something - their head will explode.

Hacking is like Fight Club. You don't talk about it. Crap, I just broke the rule. :shiftyninja:

Also, thanks for the EaseUS. :)

The millions of boneheads on the internet who either describe themselves as a hacker or have hacker in their online name just got really mad at your comment :D

"important things like family photos, professional documents, etc. That's why having backups is important. You now have learned that the hard way but I'm sure this won't happen to you again."

I would not be so sure about that..

"I had so many files and didn't think to back it up because I didn't think it would mess with my D"

So why can you not just use your backup that you take because stuff dies, all HDD will die just a matter of when.  It seems to happen at the most in opportune time if you ask around.

If the file can not be replaced, then it should be backed up..  So your saying you had the only copy of family pictures on this disk without any backup?  I really hope not.

Get yourself an external disk, write you pictures to optical, store them online - googledrive, dropbox, etc.. If you don't want to loose it, then you should have multiple copies of it.  And all not in the same place, worse case there is a fire or tornado, flood or something..

It can not be said enough!!  Backup your ###### people!!!  Or you will loose it - just a matter of when.

EaseUS Data Recovery Pro has saved my butt many times - absolutely love that software.

recuva ?

If it wrote over those sectors - even the NSA couldnt get that data back....well unless they figured out how to engineer time travel -

he mentioned something in setup about a dynamic disk, betcha in W10 setup he used EUFI boot and converted to GPT from MBRs, no chance to recover files from the now deleted MBRs imo. Waste of time trying.

A live and learn experience.

Or do what I do, unplug any drives you don't want touched when installing an O.S. be it internal or external.  That's never failed me yet!!

Why, oh why, if you're not tech savvy, would you download a preview operating system? 

When you go to download the preview, one of the first things it shows you:

And on the list of things to determine if it's "right for you":

I'm really really low on sympathy here.

Take your hard drive to a 3rd party data recovery service, stop trying to do it yourself it sounds like you're just screwing it up more.  Or have your friend do it. But don't touch the thing anymore.

It's great to see the Neowin welcome committee out in full force. It's how we get that friendly, helpful reputation we're so well known for. :rolleyes:

if none of the above solutions help you out, get a program called TestDisk. I had a drive that had hundreds of GB of files on it and the drive partitions (table?) got hosed somehow during the enlarging of one of the empty partitions. I tried several different programs without success. I set the drive aside for several months and then caught wind of TestDisk while perusing the MDL forums.

TestDisk recovered pretty much the entire contents of the drive.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Good luck with your recovery.

All it says is that the file size is ######ed up. But, I don't need snide remarks on my "computer knowledge or lack there of". I have basic knowledge. Though, I was told it would touch the D drive. Thus why I wasn't worried, I also figured my mom would have backed it up. She started the process before I was even home from work. I get home and start checking it out and I noticed the D drive was emptied. Yes, I will just take it to a professional next time. As of now, ###### all that was lost. I have looked into and installed various repair tools. None of them worked, so I am assuming things are beyond repair. Again, thank you to those who provided legit advice, and didn't bash me/be rude immature idiots. Have a nice day. 

All it says is that the file size is ######ed up. But, I don't need snide remarks on my "computer knowledge or lack there of". I have basic knowledge. Though, I was told it would touch the D drive. Thus why I wasn't worried, I also figured my mom would have backed it up. She started the process before I was even home from work. I get home and start checking it out and I noticed the D drive was emptied. Yes, I will just take it to a professional next time. As of now, ###### all that was lost. I have looked into and installed various repair tools. None of them worked, so I am assuming things are beyond repair. Again, thank you to those who provided legit advice, and didn't bash me/be rude immature idiots. Have a nice day. 

Have you tried any of the tools we suggested? It's a bummer you lost data.

As for the Professionals; that'd be us! :D

Do I put chkdsk /f in the command prompt?

chkdsk wont recover corrupted files from a format/restore - but to answer your questions - yes from the command prompt

(Might have to reboot for it to start the process)

Yes, I will just take it to a professional next time. As of now, ###### all that was lost. I have looked into and installed various repair tools. None of them worked, so I am assuming things are beyond repair.

I would advise you not to assume things. Automated data recovery tools are not the final word. If you didn't full format or zero out the drive completely them (most of) the data will still be there, although if you used any of those tools to recover data to the same drive you just shot yourself in the foot. That's probably the #1 mistake most people make when they're in a panic and desperately trying to recover their precious data. The most important thing to do in any such situation is: stop using the drive immediately, period. If you're not an expert then ideally disconnect it so it cannot even be accidentally written to. If you must work on it yourself and the drive isn't physically damaged, image it and then disconnect it, else if it is making weird noises like clicks and grinding sounds just STOP.

Anyway, what's done is done. If you care about the data enough to shell out for a professional data recovery service, I would suggest you take that route. Find a place that will perform the initial inspection for free and give you an estimate/quote. Be prepared for a major shock when you look at the amount quoted, since depending on the damage it can probably cost you an arm and a leg (but don't let that dissuade you from at least getting a quote!). I can tell you though that those guys can work miracles. I've seen examples of completely charred drives opened up in clean rooms and data being recovered after the platters were worked on directly under a microscope!