What would your ideal Recycle Bin look like?

I like the colored graphics on the paper and the simple white style:

51758.png

That's the only one I like over the standard Vista-Win8 one. It highlights how terrible Microsoft is as designing icons.

i always feel that term "Recycle" are wrong, you do not recycle the content of deleted files.

But you do recycle the space that it used.

The thing about the icon set is not merely the colours (although the folder 'yellow' was horrendously saturated), but the fact that some are in perspective, some are not, some are monochrome, others are not. It's about consistency more than anything else. 

• Like 1

I like the colored graphics on the paper and the simple white style:

51758.png

Ha! That actually looks like the bin i have in my office. Reckon if you stuck a recycle logo over that, it'd look pretty good.

I love how people obsess with a single UI element and forget the bigger picture

We're not talking about a single UI element - all the icons in Windows 10 are ugly. Even the new one that was recently revealed is worse than what we have already. Given the widespread criticism of the new icons it's clear that a lot of people feel the same way.

If the icons look bad then that sours the user experience.

• Like 2

What's the big deal if you can customize it?! The real problem would be if they removed the ability to customize it because telemetry told them no one changed it or because they wanted to "simplify" the OS and idiots here will appreciate the "improvement". :p

• Like 2

What's the big deal if you can customize it?! The real problem would be if they removed the ability to customize it because telemetry told them no one changed it or because they wanted to "simplify" the OS and idiots here will appreciate the "improvement". :p

So where's your design Mr. "UX "God"? Or are we "morons" still below you? :glare:

Probably about that size to...eh?

Personally I do not care...as long as it is obvious what the purpose of it is. Actually I've never really had problems with any icons aside from the the MPC-HC one but that is really just nitpicking on my part. Not sure how Dot's idea would work (empty vs. full) ... or is it part of the minimalist effect?

There would be no empty or full effect. The live tile would display how much space the items in the bin are taking up.

Is it a deal breaker or even a serious issue? Of course not. Is it disappointing? Absolutely. Since Vista most people haven't had to think about customising Windows, as the out-of-the-box experience was sufficient. With Windows 10 they've managed to make the UI a lot less attractive - it's a definite step backwards. Part of the problem is that the icons are not consistent - they have different perspectives, different styles and aren't coherent.

Nice is subjective. I honestly don't mind the latest icon packs at all. You have the option to customise it if it bothers you that much

But do you consider them to be better? If not then it's a change for the worse.

Great thread. Now we can all laugh at the ugly crap that others consider ideal, especially many self-titled design 'experts' who love to pontificate endlessly on how they can do better.

blondes are hotter then brunettes

There would be no empty or full effect. The live tile would display how much space the items in the bin are taking up.

Why?  Does anyone really look to see how much space their recycle bin is taking up vs. what is actually in the bin?  I do not think I've looked at the size of the recycle bin since the days when hard drive space was more of a premium.  Maybe your suggestion would be handy on a tablet or the phone...not so sure about the notebook/desktops.

Honest question.  Just seems like more wasted real estate.

• Like 2

We don't want the recycle bin anymore!  :huh: Otherwise we'd end up with a black hole eating the universe since Modern UI is rubbish and deserves to go into the recycle bin! :rofl:

But seriously (Was I joking? :laugh:), I never use it. If I did, I'd just change the icon... I guess?

EDIT: There are people who forget about their recycle bin and end up going to system cleanup and discovering a huge amount of space being taken up!

<snip>

Wrongness. Amazing engineering but it does look like an ashtray or trash bin.

You can get this Mac Pro for just $60. Pretty impressive reviews too.

http://www.amazon.com/Ideaco-HI002-Black-Black-Tubelor-Trashcan/dp/B0018NRM9U

lol, double wrongness. When you view that item, the "Customers who viewed this item also viewed" section brings up 10 trash cans and a $3800 Mac Pro.