What would your ideal Recycle Bin look like?

Something like this for the Recycle Bin icon.

16915272980_54f3f9aa11_o.png

And something like this for the PC icon (This icon was created by another user.):

17101315822_6e22cea9c6_o.png

The early W10 icon was something like that,

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_10.56.48_am.jp

These just didn't scale up to a large size well with the thin lines. So the larger sized versions of the icons should have been different, if used at all...

But really, icons should never be seen that large, anyway. The only time icons larger than 128x128 on a low res monitor need to be seen is on a full-screen splash-screen. Everywhere else, they'd either be smaller, or scaled down to a smaller size.

Which is one of the problems in this controversy, IMO. People are wanting the icons to look amazing at super huge sizes, when they should be designed for smaller sizes.

• Like 1

first of all that is horrible, please tell me how you know it has items or not in it? second of all ugh

It's a live tile...

Why?  Does anyone really look to see how much space their recycle bin is taking up vs. what is actually in the bin?  I do not think I've looked at the size of the recycle bin since the days when hard drive space was more of a premium.  Maybe your suggestion would be handy on a tablet or the phone...not so sure about the notebook/desktops.

Honest question.  Just seems like more wasted real estate.

Why not? Storage space still matters to many. Why have an icon that tells me there are items in the bin, when you can have a live tile that tells you exactly how much is in the bin, without having to open the thing? I throw one text file in the bin, and that automatically constitutes "full" status. People always wonder where their storage space is running off to. This would help them manage that.

It's a live tile...

Why not? Storage space still matters to many. Why have an icon that tells me there are items in the bin, when you can have a live tile that tells you exactly how much is in the bin, without having to open the thing? I throw one text file in the bin, and that automatically constitutes "full" status. People always wonder where their storage space is running off to. This would help them manage that.

live tile is a bad design for that... are you going to put a live tile on the desktop also? Sometimes the whole live tile concept puts too much detail for something so simple... we just end up with information clutter

live tile is a bad design for that... are you going to put a live tile on the desktop also? Sometimes the whole live tile concept puts too much detail for something so simple... we just end up with information clutter

Why would you need a live tile on the desktop? It would go in Start. It's better placed there now.

It's a live tile...

To much information, information that is practically useless (vs needing to know something is in there).

Why would you need a live tile on the desktop? It would go in Start. It's better placed there now.

uh, no.  Not to some of us.

IMO, recycle bin in start is a very bad idea. 

Why? Desktop is disabled on tablets. Why not just move it into Start, that way it's in one general location despite which device the user is on?

To much information, information that is practically useless (vs needing to know something is in there).

uh, no.  Not to some of us.

post-420821-0-92303000-1428775721.png  post-420821-0-29727800-1428775736.png

• Like 3

I think the whole idea of the recycle bin is pretty old. Can't directories have a previous version like shadow volume copies that professional operating systems have? If this is properly integrated into the ui, it should be quite intuitive for most users. Actually it's in windows 8 called file history but it's pretty complicated for most to understand. Obviously file space should be automatically managed but most users only use less than 25% than their HD space so it shouldn't be difficult.

That would be my hope, but another recycle bin it is :)

Make it adapt in size depending on how much is in it,the more in the bin the larger the icon :D

This would be gigantic in my father's computer - since he never empties it - Im sure its somewhere around 15 zetabytes by now

nbrvr8.jpg295y7go.jpg

Official icons

I would take them out of the angled perspective they have on it though.

To be honest, I don't really mind what the Recycle Bin looks like on the desktop because I would instantly remove it and use this. I have always prefered my Recycle Bin to be hidden and I believe it is a natural progression as it is mostly redundant on my desktop anyway.

Scirwode

I personally don't care as I just Shift+Del all files and keep no icons on my Desktop.

and how do I drag a file into it, if it's in the start?...... common now... some of us use desktops

and how do I drag a file into it, if it's in the start?...... common now... some of us use desktops

Drag a file? Who still does that, really? There's fast methods of removing old files.

Right click -> Delete.

There's also a delete key on your keyboard.

Boom. Gone.

• Like 2

Drag a file? Who still does that, really? There's fast methods of removing old files.

Right click -> Delete.

There's also a delete key on your keyboard.

Boom. Gone.

yeah, so keep saying "who does that" when millions do... you can't rationalize removing functionality with "who still does that".. while we are at it, lets get rid of drag and drop all together, right?.....

I like the colored graphics on the paper and the simple white style:

51758.png

That's an awesome icon I love it