Apple products are priced too high?

Wow - this thread really has people's claws and fangs showing - its just a discussion about a company's products... would anyone get this upset over the cost/utility of Dyson vacuum cleaners ?

It is something of a modern phenomenon. I think perhaps because as tech enthusiasts you invest so much time (and often money!) in the choices you make about which tech you buy, you have an interest in them way beyond seeing them as appliances. I guess people who are really into tech, and do get passionate about such things, see the products they buy as statements about themselves.. and therefore have to defend them.

People get the same way about cars. It's like a whole lifestyle rather than a simple requirement to just 'have a car'.  

I can tell you now when I bought the appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator) when I bought my new house last year, I went online and my criteria simply was: "Which ones are the cheapest, that don't have bad reviews." If someone was to make negative comments (for example) about my choice of a budget Beko fridge, I can tell you I wouldn't care one I iota. It got good reviews, it was cheap, and it keeps my food and beer cold. I'm not interested in some double door monster with an ice maker in the front - would rather spend that money elsewhere! :)

200 replies in 2 days? Wow.

When Apple products are compared to the matching high-end products from other manufacturers the base models are price-competitive, the upgrades instead are super-expensive. Also they're statistically more reliable than many other brands. And they use high-quality 1000 cycles batteries (though basically non-user-replaceable), far better than the 300 cycles battery used in most other stuff in the market (I think the Surface is the only exception, am I wrong?).

That considered (and also considering Macs can run Windows as well) if I had more than 1000

I've heard the price to build an iPhone 6+ is less than 200$, but they charge 800$ because the iOS Software is worth 600$ (Yeah right..)

I hate Apple products, the cost, the proprietary, and the OS itself is obnoxious to work with. But on a side note, I feel that they could be cheaper, specifically their iPads/iPhones.

I've heard the price to build an iPhone 6+ is less than 200$, but they charge 800$ because the iOS Software is worth 600$ (Yeah right..)

As is the case with all companies, otherwise they wouldn't be paying employees, shareholders, R&D, marketing and everything else required to run their business. 

• Like 1

I hate Apple products, the cost, the proprietary, and the OS itself is obnoxious to work with. But on a side note, I feel that they could be cheaper, specifically their iPads/iPhones.

You do realize flagships smartphones have a big markup? I don't think you do...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64 GB. Cost to Produce = $290, MSRP = $699.99. Markup = $410

iPhone 6 64 GB. Cost to produce = $247, MSRP = $649.99. Markup = $403

Verizon prices, source

So you were saying what now? 

The teardowns normally factor in the price of the components only. Nothing of the countless tens of thousands of man hours for the R&D, software development, marketing, logistics, shipping, etc etc etc. I'm not doubting that they make good money on every single phone sold... but I also don't think the teardown prices in any way accurately reflect the real costs. 

You do realize flagships smartphones have a big markup? I don't think you do...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 64 GB. Cost to Produce = $290, MSRP = $699.99. Markup = $410

iPhone 6 64 GB. Cost to produce = $247, MSRP = $649.99. Markup = $403

Verizon prices, source

So you were saying what now? 

As is the case with all companies, otherwise they wouldn't be paying employees, shareholders, R&D, marketing and everything else required to run their business. 

I'm saying the markup is insane. I mean, I know there needs to be a mark up to pay for things, but 400$+ per phone is absurd as hell. Especially when they screw it up so badly.

My biggest beef with Apple, is iTunes. It's such a garbage application, resource hogging pile of sh**. Not to mention, you can only have ONE phone per account. I have two iPhones, one is my work phone, and my other one is my personal. I don't always have both on me, but trying to keep both of them on different accounts is irritating. I still have an iPhone 4S, I plan on going Android simply because I find it more intriguing. I find that iOS is more for the average user, the ones who don't like having too many options or complicated problems. That's just my opinion. I have them because my work got me one, and the Android they offered was a junk 100$ phone. My personal is the 4S, and I'll be upgrading it to a Galaxy S4 or 5, not sure it's worth going to S6 yet.