Apple products are priced too high?

Actually i'm evaluating to switch all my system to Apple... but i see a very high price level if compared to the hardware.

I don't want to start a flame, i want only to ask if actually you don't find that the price are too high.

I'm using without problem, my windows desktop, a macboook  and a linux desktop... 

But with the exit of Windows 10... i think that Apple must "rethink" the price policy and invest more into the computer section... Apple is not only iPhone, is made of very good computer.

For me, I look at the overall package that comes with an Apple product. Yes they are a little pricey, however, try to get the same kind of service from companies like HP, Asus, Acer, and Samsung when something goes wrong. Additionally, the craftsmanship on their products are excellent, if that matters to you. Compare the trackpads, keyboard flex, laptop hinges, with the companies mentioned, and you'll see the difference. With all that said, I still keep my Windows 7 and Linux Mint machines nearby. I don't believe in one size fits all.

Yes they're overpriced

Some will have you believe that that means they're better or you will get better service, nmo they just cost more because Apple

In my experience the mac book air is priced in line with ultrabooks from other OEMs. Last year I grabbed the model with i5, 4gb ram and 256 GB ssd for

As someone who did what you are thinking of doing (switching everything to Apple), it's not a great idea. If you're going to invest in an "ecosystem", make sure it's one that works well with other systems. With Apple, you basically need all Apple, and that can get very expensive with the way Apple product cycles are released. There's a lot of ways you'll be obsolete within a couple years of owning an Apple unless you keep purchasing the latest products from them. This is true of owning any technology, but the effect is amplified with Apple. And you should expect this: the company is driven by huge margins on hardware sales. They need you to keep buying the latest gadgets from them.

I did Apple only from 2004-2011 and since switching back out of Apple, I have saved thousands. If I would have invested all the money in AAPL stock instead of spending it on their products back then, I'd literally have about half a million dollars today.

Yes they're overpriced

Some will have you believe that that means they're better or you will get better service, nmo they just cost more because Apple

Price has nothing to do with a product being better. Yes, you said that, however, I've seen enough of your posts to know your agenda. Many can attest to Apple's superior customer service, quality, and ecosystem.

Take one apart and you will see a level of engineering and quality that is 100% missing in all PC manufacturers.

Hardware isnt the problem - its the software that caters to the braindead populous that keeps me away.

• Like 3

Take one apart and you will see a level of engineering and quality that is 100% missing in all PC manufacturers.

Hardware isnt the problem - its the software that caters to the braindead populous that keeps me away.

I agree with the engineering and quality that goes into their computers. However, can you clarify the software-brain dead relation?

In my experience the mac book air is priced in line with ultrabooks from other OEMs. Last year I grabbed the model with i5, 4gb ram and 256 GB ssd for

They don't have any budget models, so when you compare the lower end Apple computers to the low end computers from other brands the prices appear higher. There are plenty of computers available from other brands that are similar in spec and price to Apple's.

Apple charge more because they can, when they tried competing with the likes of Dell they got slaughtered because they had to compromise on build quality to get there.

The retina iMac is actually fairly well priced, the screen alone costs like 90% of the entire price.

• Like 2

In my point of view, Apple products are worth of their price. You will see that Apple users are satisfied enough and never want to back in any other version after using Apple products once.

Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. With this in mind 'overpriced' is a very personal concept.

To me it is over priced because I prefer more power to pound ratio, however other people may prefer the Apple ecosystem, build quality etc, in which case it's not over priced for them.

In general yes Apple products are priced high when you just look at the components however when you compare Apple's consumer products (all of them bar the Mac Pro pretty much) with higher end systems from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. then the prices are pretty equal. It isn't really fair to compare a Dell Inspiron to a MacBook Pro even if the components are near identical the engineering and build quality of the MacBook Pro is much higher. Also outside of the core components like CPU and GPU Apple do tend to come with higher quality/better parts such as much faster SSDs, higher quality displays, etc.

When you look at something like the new MacBook it is pretty damn hard to justify the price for the machine regardless of how impressive the engineering is. I mean look how small they managed to scale down the internal too. It is mental how small it is. However it is crazy expensive because of this.

Until very recently the MacBook Pro was pretty much equal in price to similar laptops from Dell and HP. It is only with the most recent models that others have moved into first place for price and performance. It took years for manufactures to catch up with things like the MacBook Air and there still isn't anything like the 5k iMac from other computer makers.

Now as to whether the extra work in engineering, build quality and exclusive access to OS X is worth the extra cost is up to the individual. For me I would love a 5k iMac but I really have no use for such a machine. I am quite happy with a mid-range Windows machine from Dell.

• Like 3

I do not see Apple Products being overpriced. You are not just paying for the hardware/os.. You are paying for excellent attention to detail and very high quality materials.   You are also buying into "the apple family". 

Let's take an iPhone or Macbook for example.. For the entire first year you own that device, you can setup a time for you to bring in the store for them to show you whatever you want. They are not rushed and are very patient. You really only get that with Apple.. It doesn't cost anything extra.. That is a big deal for a lot of people.. Think of all the people that don't know how to use a smartphone or someone who wants to learn more about their OS other than surf the web? They take care of the customers. 

Apple Products also hold their value very well.. If you buy a Macbook Pro and want to upgrade in a couple years.. You'll be able to sell that Macbook Pro for  alot more than let's say a Dell..

iPads.. Their screens are amazing and very light.. That has to come at a cost..

Apple may cost more, but it's well worth it.. 

Yes they're overpriced

I used to believe that apple products are overpriced, and its a hard thing to digest still for me.  But people like who ive quoted who are just haters with no knowledge dont see the bigger picture. 

So if you look at only specs/hardware, itll come off as overpriced...but..

Phones:  Apple phones last for years and get prompt software updates.  Most android vendors abandon their devices and the nexus line even has turned to crap with the N9 as an example of a device that google clearly cant support.

Laptops:  My macbook air is the first laptop to last me over 1 year, its 2 years old now and is serving me well.  Also, having the ability to just take it into the Apple store is a huge peace of mind thing, rather than having to ship it away.  

Battery Life:  Apple products always trump their competitors when it comes to battery.PC's, phones, everything

I had an iPhone 6+, and returned it because im so used to android. but to this day I miss it a little.  I miss the speed and battery.  Im stuck in a cycle of buying android phones yearly though..Next year im jumping ship from Android and probably going iOS as WP isnt quite ready yet. 

I had an iPad, and I was frustrated with the limitations of iOS, and went for a Nexus 9...100% regret on that.  iPad works, Nexus 9 has shown me how downhill android is going. 

Long story short, I can trust an apple product.  I cant trust an Android or Windows device nearly the same. 

Better engineering? Not to sure about that.

My first mac book g5 lasted only 2 years before dieing, do to a common problem with the on board video chip problem similar to xbox RROD. (at least MS extended the warranty, apple didn't do nothing to resolve this problem)

I also had a first gen mac book air and that thing was an overheating nightmare.  It would hit 100c....

• Like 1

My first mac book g5 lasted only 2 years before dieing, do to a common problem with the on board video chip problem similar to xbox RROD. (at least MS extended the warranty, apple didn't do nothing to resolve this problem)

I also had a first gen mac book air and that thing was an overheating nightmare.  It would hit 100c....

I recently tried a new MBP Retina, and found that it didnt match the quality I was used to from Apple...It ran hot, slow, and killed battery fast.  I will say the Retina's do seem to have some sort of performance issue which is why Im looking at a Surface 4 or something this year. 

All hardware can have problems. Having deployed hundreds of Mac, Dell and Lenovo (not IBM) laptops over the years the Mac's have by far the lowest failure rate with the Lenovo IdeaPad's being absolutely awful. I buy Dell for personal use as I have never had a problem with them but that doesn't mean Dell are more reliable, there are many factors that go into hardware reliability the the obvious one being how the user looks after them.

You want to know the biggest cause of damage, outside of simple hardware failure, to machines I have deployed? Being yanked off a table by the power cored. MagSafe has saved so many MacBook Pro's over the years from that one simple design. I am not looking forward to USB-C chargers becoming standard. I would much rather MagSafe had stuck around, it is one of the best developments Apple ever come up with.

If you don't see any value in what they offer, then yes, they are over priced. Same goes for anything else, really.

• Like 4

If you don't see any value in what they offer, then yes, they are over priced. Same goes for anything else, really.

+1

I'm vested in the Apple ecosystem myself and it has served me well for the most part.  The only reason I would use Windows is for Office because Apple versions remains crippled (even with the improved upcoming version).  With that said, Apple did increase the prices outside of the US due to strong dollar which kind of sucks but can't really fault Apple for that.

With certain products though, you do need to step back and see if the apple sticker is worth the price.  For example, I don't have an issue buying the airport extreme, but I probably wouldn't buy the Time Capsule.

In terms of longevity, it really depends on the kind of user you are and what you need out of your system.  Other than the iPhones that I upgrade every 2 years, rest of the hardware can easily go 3~4 years without replacement (fairly long time in the tech world).

I buy Apple for two reasons: 1) because I like their products, and 2) because I can afford their products. If you don't have the funds then go with the best you can afford. . .it really cannot get any simpler. . . :)

It isn't really fair to compare a Dell Inspiron to a MacBook Pro even if the components are near identical the engineering and build quality of the MacBook Pro is much higher. Also outside of the core components like CPU and GPU Apple do tend to come with higher quality/better parts such as much faster SSDs, higher quality displays, etc.

I don't know about the MacBooks, but I do know the PowerBook and iMac line was plagued with bad batteries (first battery in mine was recalled, got a replacement and that was recalled as well), extreme overheating (mine would get so hot it would burn my hand), and other problems. Almost every iPhone has also had 'gate' issues. Every one I know that has an iPhone has had the screen crack while no one with a Galaxy has. So I'm not too sure about the "build quality", however, the builds are certainly sleek and aesthetically pleasing.