Apple products are priced too high?

Exactly. No denying that. But wanna bet that it isn't the majority that use it for complex things? Just like the majority of MacBook owners are not into audio/video/photo editing...

They surely aint building a resume with it......

So you really don't know what a comparison is?

You said iWork affects your productivity.  Well Pixelmator affects mine.  Does that mean it is a bad product?  No

We are discussing a product that affects productivity.  We are not discussing different things.

I do know what a comparison is. I also know what irrelevant material is, but I just don't think you do.

BRB, I need to go do an online comparison of the off road abilities of a Jeep and a Ferrari.

Edit:

I'm back. The Jeep is superior.

You screwed up when you claimed that I said anything was a fact.

Also, please do not insult the intelligence of user's on Neowin and refer to iWork as an Office suite. It is a pitiful excuse for one, and that is why its free.

Like I said, nothing but ignorance.

Like I said, nothing but ignorance.

Nice cop out. Please continue.  Nowhere did I state that as fact.  Do you believe everything you read as fact?

Thats kinda funny :D

I do know what a comparison is. I also know what irrelevant material is, but I just don't think you do.

BRB, I need to go do an online comparison of the off road abilities of a Jeep and a Ferrari.

I seriously doubt you can follow this conversation then.

What did you say about iWork?  It affects your productivity?  THAT is what we are discussing here.  You are saying ANY product that affects your productivity is a BAD product which is false.  Why is it false?  For the exact reason I mentioned.  I ran into an issue JUST LIKE YOU.  Except yours was with office suites, and mine was with graphics.  The issue was the same though.  Product X was not available at the time so I used Product Y which affected my productivity.  

However, Product Y is NOT a bad product.  It worked and it worked as advertised.  That is the definition of a good product to me.

So iWork is not a bad product JUST BECAUSE it doesn't do every single thing that Office does.  JUST LIKE Pixelmator is not a bad product because it doesn't do everything Photoshop does.  It is the same.  We are not talking two different topics here.  We are talking about products affecting productivity.  It doesn't matter if it is Office, Photoshop, 3DS Max, ...

Nice cop out. Please continue. Nowhere did I state that as fact. Do you believe everything you read as fact?

Thats kinda funny :D

Of course not, ignorance is usually shown when facts aren't used. See the irony? Now that's kinda funny.

PS: editing after posting is the best cop out. Continue...

I seriously doubt you can follow this conversation then.

What did you say about iWork?  It affects your productivity?  THAT is what we are discussing here.  You are saying ANY product that affects your productivity is a BAD product which is false.  Why is it false?  For the exact reason I mentioned.  I ran into an issue JUST LIKE YOU.  Except yours was with office suites, and mine was with graphics.  The issue was the same though.  Product X was not available at the time so I used Product Y which affected my productivity.  

However, Product Y is NOT a bad product.  It worked and it worked as advertised.  That is the definition of a good product to me.

So iWork is not a bad product JUST BECAUSE it doesn't do every single thing that Office does.  JUST LIKE Pixelmator is not a bad product because it doesn't do everything Photoshop does.  It is the same.  We are not talking two different topics here.  We are talking about products affecting productivity.  It doesn't matter if it is Office, Photoshop, 3DS Max, ...

No, I was discussing iWork. You on the other hand went another direction in an attempt to deflect.  A poor attempt at that.

No, I was discussing iWork. You on the other hand went another direction in an attempt to deflect.  A poor attempt at that.

How is it a deflect?  IT IS THE SAME THING!  Again, look up what a comparison is.  I had your EXACT same situation, except with graphics.

The bottom line is, iWork is not a bad product.  It works and it works as advertised.  It isn't advertised to do every little bit that Office does.  The definition of a good product is it works and it works as advertised.  If it's features don't work for you, then get a different product.  That doesn't mean it was a bad product.

How is it a deflect?  IT IS THE SAME THING!  Again, look up what a comparison is.  I had your EXACT same situation, except with graphics.

The bottom line is, iWork is not a bad product.  It works and it works as advertised.  It isn't advertised to do every little bit that Office does.  The definition of a good product is it works and it works as advertised.  If it's features don't work for you, then get a different product.  That doesn't mean it was a bad product.

The same thing? Sure, it is software.

Of course, thats like saying tennis and football are the same thing.

We were not discussing Google Docs, Photoshop, or Pixelmator. We were discussing iWork.

Well, you were with some entity, but it wasn't I.

They surely aint building a resume with it......

I don't know, it never mattered to me how other people spend their money or use their products. I also never got worked up when someone else uses a product that I don't like. Some people though wish they could stop the presses...

The same thing? Sure, it is software.

Thats like saying tennis and football are the same thing.

In some conversations it is valid to compare tennis to football, depending on what the topic is.

People make comparisons in computing to real world objects.  And it is valid.  Comparisons and analogies.  Like CPU cores and highways.

In some conversations it is valid to compare tennis to football, depending on what the topic is.

People make comparisons in computing to real world objects.  And it is valid.  Comparisons.

Depending on the topic.

Correct you are sir.  iWork isn't one of those topics.

I also wouldn't discuss Pages or Word in a discussion regarding Photoshop, either.

Depending on the topic.

Correct you are sir.  iWork isn't one of those topics.

I also wouldn't discuss Pages or Word in a discussion regarding Photoshop, either.

I am not discussing how to create something in Photoshop.  I was giving MY Example of YOUR situation.  I had the same situation as you but with graphics.  I am not talking about the features of Photoshop, and we did not talk about the features of Office.

We are comparing apples to apples here.  Product X affects productivity since I use Product Y.  SAME EXACT THING.  The product names do not matter here.

So, to summarise, some people like iWork, and some people don't.

Exactly, if you don't like it that doesn't mean it is a BAD product.

And feel very strongly about it :angry:  :argh:

Opinions on the internet, important business!!!

• Like 3

I am not discussing how to create something in Photoshop.  I was giving MY Example of YOUR situation.  I had the same situation as you but with graphics.  I am not talking about the features of Photoshop, and we did not talk about the features of Office.

We are comparing apples to apples here.  Product X affects productivity since I use Product Y.  SAME EXACT THING.  The product names do not matter here.

Exactly, if you don't like it that doesn't mean it is a BAD product.

So much deflection. Next time we discuss something, try to stay on topic.

Thanks!

And feel very strongly about it :angry:  :argh:

Im beyond feeling strongly about it. I'm just trying to comprehend how xWhiplash went from iWork to Pixelmator in the same thread. It is really quite impressive.

So much deflection. Next time we discuss something, try to stay on topic.

Thanks!

Explain to me how it is off topic?  We were discussing the same thing!  The product names do not matter AT ALL.  I can make the same reference to Blender and 3DS Max.  Or FL Studio and Logic.  Or Premiere Pro and Final Cut.

What you said about iWork affecting your productivity had nothing to do with iWork specifically.  It became a WORKFLOW discussion.  You made that generalized statement which made it become a WORKFLOW discussion where the products are irrelevant to the conversation.  If you were discussing how to bold text a certain way, then yes it would be limited to the product category that those products belong.  But this ultimately became a workflow discussion.  Different products affect your workflow.  It doesn't mean they all are BAD.

Explain to me how it is off topic?  We were discussing the same thing!  The product names do not matter AT ALL.  I can make the same reference to Blender and 3DS Max.  Or FL Studio and Logic.  Or Premiere Pro and Final Cut.

What you said about iWork affecting your productivity had nothing to do with iWork specifically.  It became a WORKFLOW discussion.  You made that generalized statement which made it become a WORKFLOW discussion where the products are irrelevant to the conversation.  If you were discussing how to bold text a certain way, then yes it would be limited to the product category that those products belong.  But this ultimately became a workflow discussion.  Different products affect your workflow.  It doesn't mean they all are BAD.

I made one comment about productivity and it by no means was my topic of discussion. You have just decided to latch onto it. Then you brought in Google Docs, Photoshop, Pixelmator, etc.

If you are just using random names to make some perceived point, then you clearly have not followed the conversation at all.

I made one comment about productivity and it by no means was my topic of discussion. You have just decided to latch onto it. Then you brought in Google Docs, Photoshop, Pixelmator, etc.

If you are just using random names to make some perceived point, then you clearly have not followed the conversation at all.

RIGHT THERE.  You made a comment about PRODUCTIVITY.  Which is what I have been doing too.  Like I said, the product names do not matter.  Product X limits productivity if you are used to Product Y.  It became a workflow/productivity discussion and it stayed that way.  Therefore, it was on topic.

Thanks!

RIGHT THERE.  You made a comment about PRODUCTIVITY.  Which is what I have been doing too.  Like I said, the product names do not matter.  Product X limits productivity if you are used to Product Y.  It became a workflow/productivity discussion and it stayed that way.  Therefore, it was on topic.

Thanks!

smh

Not sure why people keep saying Apple computers are more expensive.  When I bought my late 2013 mackbook pro, it was cheaper than the dell, and about the same as the sony

You answered your own question there :p

It all depends on how you look at it. If you are strictly looking at hardware then yes its pretty high. However if you are looking at the entire package you are getting a great deal. From quality design, quality customer support, products that last and the rest of the apple software/hardware eco system.

What people don't always realize is that every type of product out there has premium brands and crap brands. As someone who worked in the outdoor gear retail industry, I can say for sure there are plenty of brands that can be considered the Apple of the clothing industry. 

That's the thing that tends to get overlooked, the customer service, and support, I see the value in it. (it just wasn't for me)

Wow - this thread really has people's claws and fangs showing - its just a discussion about a company's products... would anyone get this upset over the cost/utility of Dyson vacuum cleaners ?

HEY!

Dyson had nothing on the Oreck XL :p

HEY!

Dyson had nothing on the Oreck XL :p

NO !!!  Nothing beats a Dyson !  Besides... mine is Purple !! top that !

(Read that "NO!" like the Adam Sandler skit "no! They're all gonna laugh at you" - then you will get the full effect) ;)

ON TOPIC:

FWIW About a year ago I bought a Carbon X1.  It was the same price as a similarly spec'd rMBP - $2499

What does that mean ?  I dont know really -  just sayin

• Like 1