Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Spying Cannot Be Disabled

Sending back data without permission is a privacy violation full stop. Sending back data when the user doesn't want to is a privacy violation full stop. What the data contains is irrelevant, it's on your hard drives, it's your property, and they're sending it back without your permission.

Well that couldn't be more wrong. They very much have your permission.

• Like 2

Sending back data without permission is a privacy violation full stop. Sending back data when the user doesn't want to is a privacy violation full stop. What the data contains is irrelevant, it's on your hard drives, it's your property, and they're sending it back without your permission.

This site collects info on you. 

Privacy violation!

Privacy violation!

Not to mention nearly everyone on here has probably passed a CCTV camera today... PRIVACY VIOLATION!

• Like 2

And those of you who use Google Chrome, guess what? Google is collecting your information too!!!!!!....Without your permission!!!!!!!

• Like 3

And those of you who use Google Chrome, guess what? Google is collecting your information too!!!!!!....Without your permission!!!!!!!

Any one on the internet.. PRIVACY VIOLATION.

I'll be back in a few to continue this lovely conversation. I have to go to Walgreens to get my meds and swipe my CC so they can collect my information too.

BRB.... :woot:

• Like 3

Well that couldn't be more wrong. They very much have your permission.

No, they don't. When a user selects the option to not send data back, they're asking Microsoft to stop collecting their data.

Privacy violation!

The difference is, it's data I gave up willingly and I choose to keep participating. You have nothing in response so you resort to juvenile attacks. Go back to your Microsoft kool aid and let the grownups speak, please. I'm sure you've already earned your shillin' cheque.

• Like 1

I'll be back in a few to continue this lovely conversation. I have to go to Walgreens to get my meds and swipe my CC so they can collect my information too.

BRB.... :woot:

That's nothing, i flew out of the country last week, when i landed not only did they look at my passport, but they dared ask me why i was visiting! :o

• Like 2

No, they don't. When a user selects the option to not send data back, they're asking Microsoft to stop collecting their data.

The difference is, it's data I gave up willingly and I choose to keep participating. You have nothing in response so you resort to juvenile attacks. Go back to your Microsoft kool aid and let the grownups speak, please. I'm sure you've already earned your shillin' cheque.

Personal attacks? I guess you feel threatened and insecure. 

Relax, there is no need to get personal in this discussion. 

• Like 1

Personal attacks? I guess you feel threatened and insecure. 

Relax, there is no need to get personal in this discussion. 

We'll call it responding in kind, given that you're the one that started with your juvenile distractions. There is a difference between data that is willingly given, and that which isn't, and that's a point that you haven't been able to refute. At this point, you're the one blowing the hot air.

• Like 1

That's nothing, i flew out of the country last week, when i landed not only did they look at my passport, but they dared ask me why i was visiting! :o

I work in the car rental business and one of the questions they like us to ask customers is: "Are you here for business or pleasure?" - Guess what? I never, ever ask them that question because that is none of my business what they come here for. I could care less.

• Like 1

Many will go Windows 7 for 10 years.

MS must stop this nonsense control thing. Home or Enterprise users dont want this, they will run away. The amount of data collected we dont know, for all it matters they could be collecting personal data, they could if they wanted.

Very bad move MS, im surprised your pushing users to OSX platform as we speak, its truly a step back for Windows.

• Like 2

And for those sections that you ask not to send data back, it doesn't get sent back. For everything else, by using the OS and accepting the terms, you have given permission.

for all it matters they could be collecting personal data, they could if they wanted.

They're not and they couldn't.

• Like 2

We'll call it responding in kind, given that you're the one that started with your juvenile distractions. There is a difference between data that is willingly given, and that which isn't, and that's a point that you haven't been able to refute. At this point, you're the one blowing the hot air.

My calculator works though!

;)

ive made no personal attacks on you, so definitely not "in kind". 

So I take your juvenile attempt at a side step as an admission that it's an argument you can't refute?

So I take your juvenile attempt at a side step as an admission that it's an argument you can't refute?

Why are you starting a personal argument with someone, is to distract from the fact that this thread is complete and utter paranoid bollocks?

And for those sections that you ask not to send data back, it doesn't get sent back. For everything else, by using the OS and accepting the terms, you have given permission.

They're not and they couldn't.

How could you be sure, at this stage no one really knows the depth of the privacy data collected.
This is not something you can really know or give 100% certainty. 

How could you be sure, at this stage no one really knows the depth of the privacy data collected.This is not something you can really know or give 100% certainty. 

Microsoft is very open about the personal data it collects, data that is needed to personalise the Windows 10 experience to you, data that you can turn off. Everything else is just telemetry. 
You can also read the ToS agreement and privacy statement, MS also has an in depth article out there that explains what's collected and from where. I'll try track down the link.

• Like 2

Why are you starting a personal argument with someone, is to distract from the fact that this thread is complete and utter paranoid bollocks?

Deflection. 

• Like 1

Yeah, again, an admission that they're doing it and that people can't opt out isn't "paranoid bollocks" it's a statement of fact. You can deflect and shill all you want, but the reality remains the same. Data on a hard drive belongs to the person who owns it, and by uploading it without their permission, when they explicitly say they don't want it to happen, you are stealing their property for your own gain. You can shill out and make excuses all you like, but it remains a fact that they're taking people's data without permission. Regardless of what the data contains, it's a privacy violation.

• Like 1

Yeah, again, an admission that they're doing it and that people can't opt out isn't "paranoid bollocks" it's a statement of fact.

Stop reading only the bits you want to moan about. You can turn off collection of personal sata, and you know that. You can't turn off telemetry data, which really has no effect on your privacy.

You also need to stop banding around the phrase "Privacy violation" so much, you're just weakening the phrase for it's proper use, like when an actual privacy violation has occurred.

• Like 2

Stop reading only the bits you want to moan about. You can turn off collection of personal sata, and you know that. You can't turn off telemetry data, which really has no effect on your privacy.

Yeah, it does. Telemetry data is still your personal property, and they're still uploading it without permission. It doesn't matter whether it's a crash dump, a personal novel, or a nude photo of your significant other, it's your data.

Microsoft is very open about the personal data it collects, data that is needed to personalise the Windows 10 experience to you. Everything else is just telemetry. 

Very open? are you for real?
Impossible for you to know what they collect, this will change when Europe Privacy lobby makes its move. Soon we will know what they collect or not.

Yeah, it does. Telemetry data is still your personal property, and they're still uploading it without permission. It doesn't matter whether it's a crash dump, a personal novel, or a nude photo of your significant other, it's your data.

So how do you define "Your data" then? Because i'm pretty sure if i tried to take MS to the European Courts, they'd have a laughing fir with the "It's my data!" argument.

So how do you define "Your data" then? Because i'm pretty sure if i tried to take MS to the European Courts, they'd have a laughing fir with the "It's my data!" argument.

Anything stored on a hard drive is your data.