Two things that I am noticing...

1: The action/movement seems like it's way too fast, it doesn't seem on pace with BF4 at all. I am getting the feeling they are trying to make this less BF4 and more COD style gameplay.

2: Go to 20:40 in the above video, look at the "explosions" of the tank, they look just.. cartoony, fake compared to BF4

5 hours ago, xendrome said:

Two things that I am noticing...

1: The action/movement seems like it's way too fast, it doesn't seem on pace with BF4 at all. I am getting the feeling they are trying to make this less BF4 and more COD style gameplay.

2: Go to 20:40 in the above video, look at the "explosions" of the tank, they look just.. cartoony, fake compared to BF4

Some other things of note about this game, it doesn't feel like WWI either. With all the HUD, markers, etc... it just feels like modern Battlefield. I'd really like it if the HUD icons were only displayed on the mini map itself and not in the player's FOV. The tank explosion seemed fine to me, though. I would like it if the maps were designed to more readily enforce trench warfare. The theme of that setting seems lost on it if the maps don't represent the actual time period and warfare style.

I have to say from the alpha game play, I think this looks good and that's coming from someone who hates every BF game that came out after BF2.

Unfortunately, being alpha, I know this will be ruined. There's already rumored ACOG scope unlocks, whether true. Will have unlimited lame unlocks, weapon skins, xp boosts, battle packs, a rubbish ranking system again and probably shoddy client side hit detection like in the previous crap installments.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty pumped for this game

On 6/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, Crisp said:

I have to say from the alpha game play, I think this looks good and that's coming from someone who hates every BF game that came out after BF2.

Unfortunately, being alpha, I know this will be ruined. There's already rumored ACOG scope unlocks, whether true. Will have unlimited lame unlocks, weapon skins, xp boosts, battle packs, a rubbish ranking system again and probably shoddy client side hit detection like in the previous crap installments.

I agree about the ranking and unlocks, it is frustrating and ruins the game for me to be honest. It is the main reason I stopped playing Battlefront. I stopped playing for a few months, come back and you just can't hang with the current players because they have ranked up and unlocked better weapons and gadgets. I don't like grinding, I don't enjoy having to put in 8 hours of multi-player to unlock the next SMG. I wish games would follow Counter-Strikes type of play, all guns are available and there is a money system. It just seems with games these days, if you arent playing on launch day and putting in some good hours, you wont be keeping up with the general server population and the game becomes stale fairly quick.

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I am pretty pumped for this game

I agree about the ranking and unlocks, it is frustrating and ruins the game for me to be honest. It is the main reason I stopped playing Battlefront. I stopped playing for a few months, come back and you just can't hang with the current players because they have ranked up and unlocked better weapons and gadgets. I don't like grinding, I don't enjoy having to put in 8 hours of multi-player to unlock the next SMG. I wish games would follow Counter-Strikes type of play, all guns are available and there is a money system. It just seems with games these days, if you arent playing on launch day and putting in some good hours, you wont be keeping up with the general server population and the game becomes stale fairly quick.

Exactly my thoughts. Progression systems are fine, but it's gotten to a point where games that don't actually need them have them for the sake of locking away content and inflating replayability. And even more frustrating is while these progression systems exist, they don't utilize them in a way that makes it bearable. Why not match people against each other who are at the same progression or at least similar levels of progression? Why are fresh players put into the same games as veterans who have everything unlocked (and twice over due to the amount of gameplay)? If you have ranks, levels, etc... why not use that?

It's one thing to create tiers of play that you progress though, but shooters these days are more focused on forcing gameplay out of you to enjoy every bit of content (and then dangling microtransactions to bypass that tedium). It's funny, it's a perfect example of an industry creating their own problem and then offering a solution but at a cost. It's like if you went and bought a car, and you had to drive it 100 miles before you could use the subwoofer, OR you could pay $100 right now to unlock it immediately!

10 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Why not match people against each other who are at the same progression or at least similar levels of progression?

I agree and would be for it. But i think we are just being logical about it.

• 2 months later...

Stop wondering and start playing - the Open Beta has officially launched (I'm downloading as I type this).  I'll be comparing this directly to Battlefield 3 (the only game in the franchise I play with any regularity).

The shotgun was awesome, the horses were epic when using the sword, tanks were ok, train was terrible, fixed turrets were decent, flying needs more polish, fixed AA was great.

After seeing the amount of snipers on almost every match I played I'm actually surprised, I'd have expected the scout class to be well over 30%.

It'd be fun to see the statistics for revived players, and ammo and health kits deployed  :p

MINIMUM SPECS

Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350

Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K

Memory: 8GB RAM

Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB

Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce® GTX 660 2GB

DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent

Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Hard-drive space: 50GB

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith

Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent

Memory: 16GB RAM

Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB

Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB

DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent

Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Available Disk Space: 50GB

Interesting that the specs say 1060 and Direct X 11.1 for "recommended". Perhaps they are trying to hit more desktops than just the high-end.

All the details of Battlefield 1’s four new maps as DICE reveals full launch content

Wednesday, 21 September 2016 01:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Battlefield 1 will have nine maps and six modes at launch, with more to come.

Battlefield 1 developer DICE has lifted the lid on what we can expect to see in the shooter at launch.

When Battlefield 1 releases in October, players will be able to check out six modes:

Conquest

Domination

Operations

Rush

War Pigeons

Team Deathmatch

DICE has also revealed four new maps for Battlefield 1, bringing the total at launch to nine, with one more to release, for free, in December. These maps are:

Ballroom Blitz

Argonne Forest

FAO Fortress

Suez

The St. Quentin Scar

Sinai Desert

Amiens

Monte Grappa

Empire’s Edge

Giant’s Shadow (December)

Continues...

It's nice to see at least one of the maps mentions trench warfare. However, a single map with trench warfare leaves much to be desired from me in this game. The trailers showed significant portions of no-man's-land gameplay so I certainly hope we see multiple maps featuring that type of area (and hopefully with large artillery pieces that can be used by players). Otherwise... not too sure if I want to get this game at launch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

It's nice to see at least one of the maps mentions trench warfare. However, a single map with trench warfare leaves much to be desired from me in this game. The trailers showed significant portions of no-man's-land gameplay so I certainly hope we see multiple maps featuring that type of area (and hopefully with large artillery pieces that can be used by players). Otherwise... not too sure if I want to get this game at launch.

It really kind of defeats the point setting the game in WW1 :/

• 3 weeks later...

Some review scores:

GamingTrend – 9.5
Time – 4.5/5
The Sixth Axis – 8
God is a Geek – 10
Digital Spy – 4.5/5
Xbox Achievements – 9
Game Revolution – 4.5/5
GameSpot – 9
MeriStation – 8.8
Forbes – 8
Metro – 8
GamesRadar+ – 4
Hardcore Gamer – 4/5
Polygon – 9

No chatter on this? 

It's VERY good. Played it on both the PC via EA thingie - on my set up, it was doing 4K at what feels like a stable 60fps - but didn't set FRAPS to tell me exactly what it is... 

Played a bit of the PS4 one before work. Again, fantastic work. Graphics are gorgeous - and the audio - WOW.

Not tried MP yet.

I'm waiting to purchase it after I see more gameplay footage of the different maps. So far not impressed with the seeming lack of iconic WWI set pieces in the multiplayer maps (specifically trenches and large artillery pieces). Also annoyed with the number of automatic weapons present in the game, it may as well not even be set in WWI. May be a good game, but I don't take kindly to branding a game based on a specific time period then getting the historicity of it so wrong as well as leaving out two of the biggest parts of WWI (trenches and heavy artillery).