Easy Programming Language

Question

Isn't a C# and VB.net compiler free with the .net Framework? Install the .net Framework 1.1 SDK and search for VBC.exe in ~Your Windows Folder~\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322.

That's the command line compiler... :)

The Easiest programming language to learn I would say is VB.NET. Unlike old VB, it's totally Object Oriented, so it's very powerful, but still I think the easiest to learn.

If your just getting started and you have Microsoft Office you already have a language to learn with. Open up any of the office applications and hit F11, you can play around with VBA(Visual Basic for Applications), which is essentially VB6, except you can't create .exe's.

Hey, I'm glad you decided to choose VB.Net, thats my prefered language, if you want any help then just PM me.

I can't promise I will solve your problems but I'll try, I have been learning VB.Net for a year now.

Kind Regards

I've tried a few languages in my time... but I'm no guru in any of them. I've used GWBASIC, Qbasic, Pascal, C, Java, Haskell, Perl, and Python (along with some shell scripting). I have to say that Python and Perl are my favorites, Python because its a very elegant OO language and Perl because its so quick to hack out some simple programs in, but I think I need to get used to C a bit more, you just can't compete with properly compiled languages for speed (well, apart from assembly, but thats just suicidal ;) ).

Oh, and to answer your question: apart from basic (which is a bit of a fisher-price language) the easiest one to learn was Python.

I started out with VB version 4 when I first got interested in programming, then started using C in university, then had another spell of using VB version 6, now in my placement job I'm trying to learn delphi.

I think VB was the easiest to learn.

I pretty much have the same question so I'll just piggy back on this thread. What do you think is the easiest language to use for creating GUIs as executables? I'd assume VB although VB.net seems to be the way to go at this point.

If VB.net, have any good resources as a starting point for a beginner? I've done a lot with Winbatch which is a non OO language (although it does support UDF's) - but I think it babied me a bit with all of its included functions. I've done a little with java and c, but I'm far from comfortable with them. I just want to be able to whip out simple programs as small executables that I can create for others to use.. this winbatch is pretty inefficient for the extent I've been using it but it's so damn easy =) Oh - and integration with databases is pretty important for me too.

Anyway, appreciate any help =)

Thanks much!

I usually program in VB.Net but . . .

If I wanted to play around with Delphi, whats the cheapest and easiest way, any suggestions ?

Thanks ! :happy:

Delphi 7 Personal Edition, which is free.

Get from Borland's site.

I never really programmed anything. I can do HTML, JavaScript and CSS but nothing really for software. What's an easy programming language? I'm looking for something for beginners, just to learn the basics. I want to learn C++ and VB afterwards, after I get the hang of it.

Thanks

This has been asked several times, but I'll reiterate what has been said:

For the "easiest" language, I'd go with something from the Basic family. You've basically got VB6 and VB.net. I would definantly say go with VB.net, since it's Object Oriented approach is much better than with VB6.

Once you've learned VB.net, you can switch any other .Net language, and only have to learn the syntax differences. For example, C# is a .Net language who's syntax is very similar to Java.

You can always use Managed C++ (another .NET language), who's syntax is pretty much identical to C++.

Either way you go, my bias is with .NET. I feel it's soon going to become very mainstream, and knowing it would be a huge advantage to you.

eh, i don't like anything .Net

but what i did was learn the HTML, JavaScript, CSS (with emphasis on standards) then went on to PHP / Mysql then dabbled with perl, bash, python then c++

P.S. never trust a "Avid Microsoft Fanboy" :yes:

eh, i don't like anything .Net

but what i did was learn the HTML, JavaScript, CSS (with emphasis on standards) then went on to PHP / Mysql then dabbled with perl, bash, python then c++

P.S. never trust a "Avid Microsoft Fanboy" :yes:

What's wrong with .NET? PHP is too much of a "hacked" language for my tasting. Plus I enjoy OOP languages (PHP 5 can hardly call itself that).

First, I suggest you decide if you want to do OS programming (for Windows/linux/Mac) or web programming. From there, your choices will be much easier.

If you choose the OS route, I suggest you get started on C++ as you want to learn it anyway. Otherwise, VB.NET is great for beginners (Y)

First, I suggest you decide if you want to do OS programming (for Windows/linux/Mac) or web programming. From there, your choices will be much easier.

If you choose the OS route, I suggest you get started on C++ as you want to learn it anyway. Otherwise, VB.NET is great for beginners (Y)

what I have to learn if I decide OS programming for Windows or what I have to learn if I decided for web programming for beginners.

I do not have any clue of any kind programing.

tnx in advance

If you start learning C# or VB.NET, you can put those skills into both Windows application development, and web development with ASP.NET. Managed C++ can also do this, but I find C# to be a "cleaner" language and it was built with .NET in mind.

If you start learning C# or VB.NET, you can put those skills into both Windows application development, and web development with ASP.NET. Managed C++ can also do this, but I find C# to be a "cleaner" language and it was built with .NET in mind.

Indeed, the .NET languages are very nice, and C# and VB.NET have the added benefit of being used for web applications. Also, C# and .NET were essentially designed for each other, and VB.NET fits nicely into the whole thing.