Easy Programming Language

Question

Hey all, sorry to bring this back, but just saw it from Google.

I heard that BASIC is still very powerful. I am 13, and want to get a start on programming, and it has to be easy. I think I will start with HTML, but that's web programming. Would BASIC be the best application programming language for me to learn? I looked through it, and it looks very easy, and from what I've heard, very powerful.

I think Javascript, as it is so simple to use, and almost impossible to screw up in. It might not do much, but its gotta be the easiest language. Yes, i know its web programming :p

It's definately Pascal.

It's important to start with a command-line language so that you can learn the basic structures. It would be too easy to jump into VB and create nice forms with simple code underneath.

Personally I think BASIC and Visual Basic are the two easiest programming languages. I've been trying to learn C++ for 2 years now and I've got some of the basics down but the rest is still greek to me.

*goes back to his book..learn C++ in 24 days my rear.*

vb.net

install the .net framework, and grab a copy of SharpDevelop to start out, then if you like it, grab a copy of VisualBasic.NET 2003.

C#, VB.NET, meh, it all comes together in one happy IDE.

I spent about 2 hours messing around with Python today, and it seems pretty simple, but at the same time you can do a lot with it. The documentation on the official site (http://www.python.org/) are really usefull for learning how to use it.

Java is also pretty easy to learn, if you have some good resources to work with. "Java Software Solutions" by Lewis and Loftus is a great book to learn from, it was the text book from an introductory Java course that I took last year. Hopefully it's available in a library, because as with most textbooks, it's pretty expensive.

I actually started on Pure Basic and then moved on to VB.Net, I personally like VB.Net because although their is coding involved alot of it is also visual, like drag and drop objects.

in my opinion, Pascal is the easiest, that is how it came about to teach the pupil the basics of programming, with the emphasis on the structure and basics of all languages...

Pascal is the language we are taught at AS Level Computing, then we move to the object orientated language, VB :D

LOL, sounds like VB .NET is very popular, and I think that's what I'll start with.

The only crap thing about it: You have to pay for the compiler, and Micro$oft isn't giving them out anymore...

What money bags. :)

LOL, sounds like VB .NET is very popular, and I think that's what I'll start with.

The only crap thing about it: You have to pay for the compiler, and Micro$oft isn't giving them out anymore...

Yeah VB.Net is a nice language to start with, at first you may find it all a bit odd because it is different to VB6 in more ways than one, but don't give up I stuck with VB.Net and I'm really enjoying it now, plus the new version called Whidbey looks very nice and in the new version due 2005 Microsoft have made alot of things easier as well.

About the compiler, If you don't want to pay take a look at the Mono Project, I don't know alot about Mono because I personally like Visual Studio, but Mono is a open developement program to program the .Net framework.

Link : The Mono Project

Kind Regards

Well, C++ is my mother-tongue. Though it may look a bit cumbersome and will require some learning. It's very flexible and powerful once you are conversent with it.

--

Tiwaris

Yeah VB.Net is a nice language to start with, at first you may find it all a bit odd because it is different to VB6 in more ways than one, but don't give up I stuck with VB.Net and I'm really enjoying it now, plus the new version called Whidbey looks very nice and in the new version due 2005 Microsoft have made alot of things easier as well.

About the compiler, If you don't want to pay take a look at the Mono Project, I don't know alot about Mono because I personally like Visual Studio, but Mono is a open developement program to program the .Net framework.

Link : The Mono Project

Kind Regards

Say, thanks alot!

I'll check it out.

Isn't a C# and VB.net compiler free with the .net Framework? Install the .net Framework 1.1 SDK and search for VBC.exe in ~Your Windows Folder~\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322.

I think Javascript, as it is so simple to use, and almost impossible to screw up in. It might not do much, but its gotta be the easiest language. Yes, i know its web programming :p

No, it's Client side web scripting, possibly the one thing farthest away from actual programming.