Ice Photographed on Mars

from what i know about mars, any attempt to build an atmosphere by this means would fail because the atmosphere would leak into space due to mars not having sufficient gravity. the belief was that mars was once an active planet, which would have made it more possible for an atmosphere to be maintained. the belief was that the atomsphere of mars thinned and water disappeared when the planet became dead. this is of course from my reading 10 or so years ago, new data may show differently

586293370[/snapback]

I think it's time to update your research, becasue Mars does have an atmosphere.

it's jsut taht the level of oxygen is only @ 0.13% which is very very low

Excuses my ignorance BUT....Isnt mars the place no astronaught can go because its too hot YET there is ice on it?....... :huh:

586292595[/snapback]

The frozen ice lake is located in the North Pole. On Mars at the equator during day time, the temperatures can go as high as around 15C/55F but during night time because the atmosphere is thin, the nights are very cold.

night_temp.gif

The major problem is not really being there but to be 100% sure that they can come and go. It would take a little more than 6 months to go there if I remember well (forgot where I read that).

The major problem is not really being there but to be 100% sure that they can come and go. It would take a little more than 6 months to go there if I remember well (forgot where I read that).

586293926[/snapback]

And since Mars is on an elliptical orbit it makes the journey of going there and back much more difficult to calulate. We have to time it right when our planets are closest to each other.

Mars has an atmosphere. Otherwise, Spirit and Opportunity would take pictures of space instead of the horizon.

I think it's time to update your research, becasue Mars does have an atmosphere.

it's jsut taht the level of oxygen is only @ 0.13% which is very very low

yes i know it does have an atmosphere, i said build up an atmosphere meaning a heavier atmosphere. currently the martian atmosphere is thin as to make anything living on it open to heavy radiation. even if oxygen could be added mars couldn't sustain a heavy atmosphere (which is why you couldn't fill it with greenhouse gases to warm it up, it would all leak into space). and from what i've read the oxygen would be more likely to leak into space than other elements, i don't remember why

why have two people already interpreted what i said in a way that assumes i'm an idiot who thought mars didn't have an atmopshere, even when i mentioned this was based on study that i did before

Edited by brianshapiro

People wondering if this image is real. Well, it is and it isn't. It is a composite of many image types taken by the probe. This page shows the stages of the image with explanation. Scroll to the bottom and go up: http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMGKA808BE_1.html

586295955[/snapback]

Yes, the transformation to persective was the computer aided thing, however the top-down view should be entirely real as far as I can see.

And they didn't see that before?! Its 35 Km wide....that's something you cant't miss after numerous space exploration missions

Yes, actually it is. We're talking about a planet here, not a moon. 35 km is a super tiny area, basically a needle in a haystack. The surface space exploration missions simply took place elsewhere. However, you'd think a orbiting high res imaging craft would find it -- and that's exactly what happened now. Earlier this couldn't happen, because we had nothing of that sort to orbit the planet.

A guy on Slashdot put it in perspective here:

"Well, this patch of ice looks like it has a surface area of what, 75 square km? All of Mars is about 145 million square km, so we're talking about 0.00005% of the surface -- I can kinda see how that might take a while to notice."

Edited by Jugalator

Mars used to have more of an atmosphere that it currently does, but it lost most of it into space because it just doesn't have enough mass to hold it down like earth does. That's why terraforming mars will never be a possibility.

Why Titan (Saturn's moon) and not Mars?

querie:

It's on the order of 5 times less massive. It's only 76% the size.

Yet Titan has an atmosphere 60 times more dense than earth and Mars has essentially NO atmosphere.

I've read that Mars lost its atmosphere to space due to insufficient mass to retain it. I've read that due to the lack of a strong magnetic field that Mars lost its atmosphere to solar wind over the past 3 billion or so years.

Given the above stated facts and theories, how is it that Titan retains a very dense atmosphere and Mars does not?

On the surface (no pun intended) it would be easy to postulate that Titan is a much younger body. But somehow that doesnt seem right.

Could some cataclysmic impact have vented Mars' atmosphere and Titan have been spared the same fate?

Anybody wanna help me out and take a stab at a possible explanation?

Answer?:

The strength of the solar wind decreaces as the square of the distance, so it is about 60 times stronger at Mars distance than Titan distance. The temperature k at the top of Mars atmosphere is about double the temperature k at the top of the Titian atmosphere which also increases loss of voitiles from the top of the Mars atmosphere. The old atmosphere of Mars may have been mostly helium and hydrogen compounds and free hydrogen which are more easily lost to solar wind. Free oxygen from the water vapor that lost it's hydrogen may have combined chemically with surface rocks of Mars. Methane and some other hydro-carbons of Titan have a very strong molecular bond, not as easily broken by ionizing radiation. Mars may have out gassed most of it's volitiles 4.5 billion years ago while Titan has been releaceasing it's volitiles at about a constant rate for the past 4.6 billion years. A large impactor may have stripped Mars of much of it's atmosphere sometime in the last billion years. Titan may have less atmosphere than we presently believe. Some of these reasons are likely wrong, so don't hesitate to refute, embellish and/or comment.