Cheney heckled on hurricane tour

Disrespectful insolent ingrates. I suggest all federal aid be withdrawn from that area and let them see how long they last. Damn welfare panty-waist liberals.

586497800[/snapback]

God i hate to be so blunt but go **** yourself dude, you gotta be kidding to make a comment like that...

The point is that they aren't getting any aid (welfare etc. doens't apply to this situation) is the issue. You should take a momment to listen to the audio clip of the mayor being interviewed and you will learn how a true politician that cares about the people who look to him for leadership acts, and you will be filled in on the details of the situation at hand.

I'm not suprised someone with a Bush/Cheney support sign in their signature would make that comment, your attitude is the same as theirs, you dont care.

By the way, federal aid doesn't appear out of thin air.

Nope it comes straight from our paychecks. It took so long for the aid because Bush was on another vacation, as always.

God i hate to be so blunt but go **** yourself dude, you gotta be kidding to make a comment like that...

The point is that they aren't getting any aid (welfare etc. doens't apply to this situation) is the issue.  You should take a momment to listen to the audio clip of the mayor being interviewed and you will learn how a true politician that cares about the people who look to him for leadership acts, and you will be filled in on the details of the situation at hand.

I'm not suprised someone with a Bush/Cheney support sign in their signature would make that comment, your attitude is the same as theirs, you dont care.

586498356[/snapback]

wait, wait. All the our federal aid is over in 3rd world countries at this time, they spent those days stealing it back. I hate how our government cares more about other countries more then our own. Fix our countries poverty first, then help others, if they even want it.

wait, wait. All the our federal aid is over in 3rd world countries at this time, they spent those days stealing it back. I hate how our government cares more about other countries more then our own. Fix our countries poverty first, then help others, if they even want it.

586498376[/snapback]

Well Said...

586498376[/snapback]

Unfortunately as we can plainly see the so called "Third World" is obviously barely alive right here ... the poor, the starving, the infirmed that suffer is the true shameless disaster that is most evident.

You guys and the heckler are apparently clueless about your own political structure. The US is "not" a federal state but rather a Union of sovereign states. There in lies the problem. The federal government has to co-ordinate any efforts with the state government and they must receive co-operation in order to take action.

You guys need to take another look at the separation of powers between the various levels of government in these types of situations. The President should be allowed to declare a state of emergency during natural disasters if necessary if the local state government is unable to be do it's job. At the very least, there should be a framework were the state governor can declare a state of emergence and request federal government intervention giving up control to the feds temporarily were state resources/personel would be subordinate to the federal official.

You guys seem to have no trouble mobilizing forces internationally but you get stuck in red tape when something happens in your own backyard.

You guys and the heckler are apparently clueless about your own political structure. The US is "not" a federal state but rather a Union of sovereign states.

586498549[/snapback]

Wouldn't that be a confederacy?? And I think the heckler probably told Cheney to F*** himself because Cheney had previously said that to someone in Congress. Pretty funny, eh? Sounds like you were clueless about that one. Oh, and I don't think this post had anything to do with our "own political structure" to begin with... I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that we or the heckler are clueless. Please spare us the lecture on American history.

Wouldn't that be a confederacy??  And I think the heckler probably told Cheney to F*** himself because Cheney had previously said that to someone in Congress.  Pretty funny, eh?  Sounds like you were clueless about that one. Oh, and I don't think this post had anything to do with our "own political structure" to begin with...  I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that we or the heckler are clueless.  Please spare us the lecture on American history.

586498626[/snapback]

Those laying blame on the federal government don't know how our political structure works. That's how he came to the conclusion that a lot of people are 'clueless'. If you don't like Bush that's fine. But throwing blame on him when he had zero control is rediculous.

5 days for the federal government to organize and send this much aid is VERY fast for them. You will rarely see anything of this size mobilize this quickly.

My parish president, Aaron Broussard, said that FEMA refused several Wal-Mart trucks loaded with water because FEMA said it had things under control. Also, FEMA apparently refused a shipment of gasoline because it said it had enough. What's up with that? There's too much politics involved with how FEMA operates, and that is dangerous when it comes to saving lives.

Here is his story. I put the video on my server because I am uncomfortable hotlinking to other people's webspace.

My parish president, Aaron Broussard, said that FEMA refused several Wal-Mart trucks loaded with water because FEMA said it had things under control. Also, FEMA apparently refused a shipment of gasoline because it said it had enough. What's up with that?

586498704[/snapback]

Dunno. There are quite a few rumors floating out of NO. Hard to tell if what we hear is truth or not

Dunno.  There are quite a few rumors floating out of NO.  Hard to tell if what we hear is truth or not

586498708[/snapback]

Why would he lie or spread rumors about events happening in his own parish?

Disrespectful insolent ingrates. I suggest all federal aid be withdrawn from that area and let them see how long they last. Damn welfare panty-waist liberals.

586497800[/snapback]

I find that highly amusing, considering that Louisiana's majority vote for the recent election swung towards Bush's favor. How does that make them "liberal"? :rolleyes:

<snip>

Keep it clean

Edited by Chad

I find that highly amusing, considering that Louisiana's majority vote for the recent election swung towards Bush's favor. How does that make them "liberal"? :rolleyes:

<snip>

586498722[/snapback]

While Louisiana as a whole voted for Bush, New Orleans' population consists mainly of liberals, like most metropolitan areas.

Edited by Chad

Why would he lie?

586498711[/snapback]

I'm not saying he did. But it seems odd for anyone to be turning away help at this point. A reserve unit from here in town was just deployed today with 2 massive generators, water, fuel, 2 large water purifiers, etc. A caravan of around 70ish vehicles.

No offense, but after watching the video I have a hard time believing him. Saying the local government isn't to blame is rediculous. People will blame the federal government for anything.

I certainly feel terrible for what people have had to go through down there. I've never even come close to that level of hardship, and would probably be reacting the same way. But I don't think they realize what it takes to get that much aid down there.

The mayor of New Orleans said on the Today show he started asking for help 2 days before it even hit. They knew it would be a huge hurricane but only the day or 2 before is when they realized exactly how huge it would be.

When the guy who runs FEMA was notified what was happening he sat for 5 HOURS before even doing anything.

Cheney was told to go "f*ck himself" imagine what would happen to Bush if he visited that area. Which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

You can't blame anything on the people running the state. There's nothing they could have done. The government sat and watched what happened when they could've been sending help. "We have to wait til we are asked" that's BS when it's something this big.

At last count 10,000 people have died

They could have sent those huge cargo planes the Military uses with supplies to be there the next day but NO. Trucks and things of course will take time. But they had plenty of time to send cargo planes. Even freaking John Travolta filled his entire jet and flew down there himself.

The mayor of New Orleans said on the Today show he started asking for help 2 days before it even hit. They knew it would be a huge hurricane but only the day or 2 before is when they realized exactly how huge it would be.

When the guy who runs FEMA was notified what was happening he sat for 5 HOURS before even doing anything.

Cheney was told to go "f*ck himself" imagine what would happen to Bush if he visited that area. Which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

You can't blame anything on the people running the state. There's nothing they could have done. The government sat and watched what happened when they could've been sending help. "We have to wait til we are asked" that's BS when it's something this big.

At last count 10,000 people have died

586498751[/snapback]

I am beginning to doubt the mayor's logic. There was another storm a few years back in which some people evacuated to the Superdome. Lack of security and supplies after that storm created the same problems in the 'dome as Katrina. You would think that he would learn his lesson and have planned ahead more properly before opening the Superdome as a shelter. I also believe that as of this afternoon, the official death count was ~350, but of course, that number is expected to soar dramatically, though I doubt to the 10k mark.

I'm sorry but it seems that most people don't know jack about government.

Why is everyone mad at the federal government for what happend?

Don't any of you know about the laws and rules of separation between state and senate?  The federal government isn't suppose to really support the state unless the state asks for help.  It is the state government and mayors of cities that are responsible.

I don't like Bush, but it's not his fault at all for anything.  It is the state's responsiblity.  The governor knew that he had poor people in his the cities, but didn't send busses to get those people out of there before the hurricane hit.  The governor didn't have emergecy plans or shelter for HIS people.  It is the STATE that is responsible.

Look at what happened durring Sept 11.  Mayor Juliani didn't get help from Bush.  He cleaned up the city all by himself with the help from HIS city and state.  He did what was nessesary for his people within his city and got help from his governor.

No one bitched with Bush didn't do anything except do send our people to war.  That is the separation between state and senate.

If the federal government got involved in everything that happend per state for what ever reason it is, then it wouldn't be it's own state anymore.  The governor didn't even have protection from all the looting and the cops didn't even seem to care.  That is the state's problem.

586497742[/snapback]

well put

I seriously doubt that. He never mentioned anything of the sort before the hurricane hit. Seems he is trying to save face. I know the fed government issued a disaster declaration prior to the hurricane, what did the local government do? They told the people to get out. Did they provide help getting people out who had no means to? Nope

Do you even know what FEMA does?

586498751[/snapback]

In my opinion, the FULL blame goes on the local government. They have had federal funds available to them to update the levy system for years now and they did nothing. No it's not BS. It's you not understanding our political system.

5 days for the federal government to organize and send this much aid is VERY fast for them.  You will rarely see anything of this size mobilize this quickly.

586498693[/snapback]

I am sorry but 5 days is extremely slow for a response to such a catastrophe.

In France, we had a huge tempest during winter 1999 which causes major damage to the power lines, the roads, damaged plenty of homes and destroyed a large portion of the French forests.

The national power company, EDF, worked the very same day to repair power lines which had been destroyed because 3.5 millions of houses are without power and heating. 5 days after, more than 90% of the people affected had power again.

In Central Europe, there have been major floodings in 2002. In Germany, the German army was mobilized immediately to reinforce the firefighters and all the rescue teams.

My point is not to say that France or Germany have a better political structure then the US. My point is to say the response to the Katrina hurricane has not been fast enough.

As far as responsabilities are concerned, I would say that there have been failures at all the levels: Federal, State, City.

I am sorry but 5 days is extremely slow for a response to such a catastrophe.

In France, we had a huge tempest during winter 1999 which causes major damage to the power lines, the roads, damaged plenty of homes and destroyed a large portion of the French forests.

The national power company, EDF, worked the very same day to repair power lines which had been destroyed because 3.5 millions of houses are without power and heating. 5 days after, more than 90% of the people affected had power again.

In Central Europe, there have been major floodings in 2002. In Germany, the German army was mobilized immediately to reinforce the firefighters and all the rescue teams.

My point is not to say that France or Germany have a better political structure then the US.  My point is to say the response to the Katrina hurricane has not been fast enough.

As far as responsabilities are concerned, I would say that there have been failures at all the levels: Federal, State, City.

586498797[/snapback]

Germany is the size of Montana and France is about 1.5 times the size of Montana. Little bit of a difference here. The majority of the 5 days was due to travel time. Help was being prepared the day after the hurrican hit. You have to realize different areas received help at different times.

In my opinion, the FULL blame goes on the local government.  They have had federal funds available to them to update the levy system for years now and they did nothing.  No it's not BS.  It's you not understanding our political system.

586498786[/snapback]

I have a question about the US political structure.

How much power/responsability a state has compared to the federal government?

What is the percentage of laws/decisions which affects the daily life a US citizen? Are there more federal or more state side?

Just to compare with a French region (which I am sure has very few power/responsability) or a German Lander (which has quite a few responsabilities)