[Review] iPod nano

I ended up giving in and purchasing a white 4GB iPod nano at the local Apple store, as soon as they were available.

Here is a quick review:

White 4GB iPod nano:

Package.jpg

Contents2.jpg

boxvsbox.jpg

Packaging

Not sure if the bag I got with my iPod nano was just for the first batch of buyers, but its a nice touch, otherwise when purchasing merchandise at a Apple store you get a white bag that resembles a Bag-pack. The package that holds the actual iPod nano is the usual high quality one expects from Apple. The contents of the box are as follows; iPod nano, Earbud headphones, USB 2.0 cable, Dock adapter, QuickStart guide, CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows and features guide, also included is a Universal Dock adapter. One thing thats missing is the Firewire cable that came with all previous iPods, the nano is strictly USB, but if you happen to have a Firewire cable you can still charge the unit with it.

iPod_in_Hand.jpg

Back.jpg

FrontBottom.jpg

The iPod nano

One thing I'd like to get out of the way is the concern people have of the iPod nano being too thin and hence assuming that it might break in half easily. That is not the case, the unit is very solid and the metallic back makes sure of that. But like its bigger brother, the nano is a finger print magnet. I have also seen many posts with concerns that due to its tiny size the scroll wheel might be too small. Not true, as I personally have above average sized hands and have had no problems using it.

The fact that the nano uses a color screen is a nice touch, as with the regular iPod you have now the ability to view Album art and have picture slideshows. One thing you can't do is use an A/V cable to view the pictures on a TV, for that you still need a regular iPod. The other difference from all previous versions of the iPod is the location of the headphone jack which is located at the bottom, not my cup of tea but I am going to have to live with that.

Extras

What the nano has that the other iPod's don't is the inclusion of a clock feature where you can have multiple analog clocks that show the time anywhere in the world. A stop watch that sports the brushed metallic theme has also been added, and there is a Screen Lock feature that gives the user the ability to lock the nano with a number-key combination. I'd like to see some games added in a future firmware as the current crop is getting old.

As a bonus feature or side-effect; with the use of solid-state memory instead of a hard drive everything feels much more responsive. Transferring music to the nano is about 40% that with the other iPods.

Cousins.jpg

nanominiside.jpg

Gadgets_OFF.jpg

Gadgets_ON.jpg

Conclusion

Perhaps a bit pricey, in need of a longer battery life, and more storage space this is the best iPod to date.

Good information... Looking for other reviews... I'm getting one for my birthday at the end of this week. Can't wait... Will be my first iPod. My wife bought a mini about 4 months ago.

Why is the battery life 14 hours? Because the battery is physically smaller than on the mini? You'd think it could get 20-30 hours at least since they're no moving parts to power.

I can't justify spending 200$ on a 2gb mp3 player when I got a 1gb sandisk one for 80$ that has voice recording, fm radio and longer battery life. That's just me....bigger unit size and less features don't really attract me. :p

I can't justify spending 200$ on a 2gb mp3 player when I got a 1gb sandisk one for 80$ that has voice recording, fm radio and longer battery life.  That's just me....bigger unit size and less features don't really attract me.  :p

586512776[/snapback]

yeh 4 such small size its too expensive.....but its so cute :p

In my opinion, this is what the iPod Mini and iPod Shuffle should have been. I'm glad they have gone back to their classic iPod style, instead of that cheapy look of the iPod mini. If I was going to replace my 3G iPod, I would do so with this...when they release one with more storage.

Can you still use iTrip dongles (or third party ones) on the nano (and mini)?

Not if it used the connector port on the top (iTrip). The bottom dock connector is still there though.

yeh 4 such small size its too expensive.....but its so cute :p

586512851[/snapback]

Yeah this looks to be a lot bigger than my 1gb playter, which is just a tad bigger than a lighter.

I do like how this looks more than th emini though, I agree with whoever said that.

punks over at tnt. Sent me an email telling me it had shipped on Friday.

Now they tell me that it's going to come on the 16th because it's coming from Shanghai...

(*cries*) why couldn't they send me one from the UK, Damn stupid laser engraving.

Very good review.... :D

I'm a bit surprised though.... It's almost as big, in height, as the iPOD mini it replaces.

Steve Jobs and the general vibe i've been getting have been saying that it's "imposibly small". Mmmmm maybe it's impossibly thin and looks a LOT better than the mini it replaces......

I still want one, but must say, a little less now than i used to.