• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Copernic

Copernic

Neowinian Senior

• 3,783 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 15:03

Halite BitTorrent Client 0.2.6

Halite is yet another open-source BitTorrent client and is based on the excellent libtorrent library from Rasterbar Software. What makes Halite stand out is its remote control interface allowing you to monitor and control the program from a mobile phone. Hailte is written in unicode so it will only run on Win2k or higher.

Posted Image

Website
Download Halite (473 kb)

What's New:
This is a pre-release of Halite v 0.3. It is not feature complete, most obviously the remote control interface is not yet implemented. However the reason for the release is that a) it's the first release on SourceForge and b) as a BitTorrent client it is perfectly functional. As a pre-release there is currently no installer, the program ships as a single exe which can simply be extracted to a desired location and run. It is recommended that you put the exe into its own folder to keep it and the files it creates in one place. This is not a necessity however.

Changes from v.0.2.5
1) Fixed a silly bug whereby exiting Halite from the tray would screw up the window layout next time running it.
2) Added auto-selection to Torrents list to make it more intuitive.

#2 Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

• 2,198 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 21:33

why do people bother when they know there's something like utorrent?
small, lite, prefect.

#3 vetbangbang023

bangbang023

Silent Veteran

• 36,192 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:21

small, lite, prefect.

Because more choice is always better. It's the same reason Neowin is around. Why bother when there's hundreds of other sites? Options, thats why.

#4 :: Lyon ::

:: Lyon ::

Neowinian Senior

• 3,948 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:26

I'd still stick with uTorrent :)

#5 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:27

small, lite, prefect.

because what works for one person dosen't work for all

#6 noroom

noroom

Neowinian Senior

• 2,452 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:30

If this gets close to µTorrent, I'll switch. For the opensourceness.

#7 OP Copernic

Copernic

Neowinian Senior

• 3,783 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:40

If this gets close to µTorrent, I'll switch. For the opensourceness.

Already seems to be very close to µTorrent, Halite is very small too and i got some nice download speeds. At the first release of µTorrent i remember very well that BitComet was the nr.1 people choice, only time will tell.:) :)

#8 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:49

small, lite, prefect.

the more, the better

#9 noroom

noroom

Neowinian Senior

• 2,452 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 23:06

Already seems to be very close to µTorrent, Halite is very small too and i got some nice download speeds. At the first release of µTorrent i remember very well that BitComet was the nr.1 people choice, only time will tell..:):)

Yeah, I know. It was amazing.

Anyway, the program is still in an Alpha state, and honestly, I hate the interface so far. Not a big fan of the µTorrent interface either, but at least it works. I'm looking for something that provides at least µTorrent options (minus the scheduler. I don't have a use for it) and is as lightweight (or more) but is open source. This looks promising, but, like you said, only time will te:). :)

#10 IceBrewedBeer

IceBrewedBeer

_|-|_

• 1,355 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 23:26

I'll have to check this out, thanks.

offtopic: Bangbang023, Staind owns and dysfunction is their best album.

#11 Toology

Toology

The Collective Unconscious

• 3,373 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 23:40

*Bookmarked*

I'll wait until v0.3 before I give this a shot. µTorrent has me completely satisfied thusfar.

#12 Dark Reaper

Dark Reaper

Snake Eater

• 1,283 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 23:55

Looks less bloated than Utorrent.

Might give it a shot.

#13 Update

Update

Neowinian

• 139 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:50

because what works for one person dosen't work for all

confuses the **** out of people who don't know what they do...can't wait till redunancy in software ends

and whoever calls utorrent bloated is a ****ing idiot :no:

can't wait to hear what you say once spakin new gui comes out

TANGO ICONS COOL

#14 Symphony

Symphony

Neowinian

• 265 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:21

... I'll switch. For the opensourceness.

I respect everyones choice and know that everybody is different, but i just can't get over this open-source trend. "Yeeey, this app is opensource, it must be great..." :pinch: :x

Do you really check the source line by line if it is doing anything bad?
Do you the one who will fix a bug if it occurs, rebuild everything, and create a xyzappp-mybuild02811?
Do you know what to do, when you might have fixed a bug, than the main app gets updated?
Do you understand that an opensource torrent app will start a wave of cheater and fake clients?
Do you care about the growing number of client IDs, when one will do encryption fine, and the other maybe will do DHT, then the other clients and trackers have to update because of every single build?
Do you think you will understand another coders idea of coding? Why he made that, why he made that that way, why didn't he did that... Understanding another person's code sometimes harder, than writing something from scratch.
Do you hope that he will document every single procedure just for every wannabe coders out there? Creating a readable code for others sometimes take more time, than creating 3-4 features.

I'm not saying opensource is bad. There are nice opensource applications. But it is not a plus. And don't forget support... countless times the "community" of opensource will just tell you "get the code, fix it yourself", or "don't request a feature, do it yourself". :rolleyes: :angry:

Whhoaaa... Sorry for the rant. :blush: I just had to let it out. This whole fashion trend drives me wild - "Windows should be opensource, it would be better..." :pinch:

Sorry noroom, nothing personal, the 'you' is like 'anyone', i just had to let this out.

/Yes, i'm feeling better. :)

#15 Daedalus

Daedalus

Neowinian

• 530 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:43

Looks less bloated than Utorrent.

Might give it a shot.

Is that sarcasm? If not... perhaps you should define bloated to me.