Firmware 1.300000 released

I am really perplexed. :wacko:

How does Sony plan to recoop hardware sale losses when they are enabling third-party non-PS3-licensed products to work on their system?? :huh: :blink: :no:

Uhh, I have yet to see a sony steering wheel/joystick :s

Why hasn't the title for this thread been changed yet? It still says "1080i fixed". It isn't, so it's a bit confusing for new people seeing this thread.

Its fixed 50/50 - the topic title stays.

Probably as a lot of consumers will still go ahead and buy sony branded goods for their PS3's.

You have to remember Playstation is the largest brand at the moment and has the most consumers - a LOT of these consumers are casual gamers who wouldn't know any better about 3rd party options. They recognize Sony goods should work with a Sony console and thats it.

And anyway its nice of them to do this ;)

Yea, that's definitely true. But then it's only a matter of time before manufacturers, like Logitech, start advertising on their boxes that their products are "PS3 Compatible". And many casual gamers will usually go for the most cost-effective solution and since Logitech is also a fairly well known, reputable company, then a Logitech branded solution would be just fine. I don't see anywhere in this situation where Sony can benefit (financially).

Crippling your own product doesn't make money in the long run.

No need to cripple, but requiring a license for third-party products to work on your console does make you money in the long run.

Uhh, I have yet to see a sony steering wheel/joystick :s

Right, but that's not the issue. The issue is how they plan on turning a profit?

--------

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good thing (for gamers at least) that the PS3 supports some third-party accessories, but where does Sony make any profit in this situation?

Well, the steering wheel is not to navigate through the XMB :D Obviously youll need some games..

Wide support for 3rd party accesories will turn profit in the end - when they make money off each console sold..

Thats my forecast :p

Well, the steering wheel is not to navigate through the XMB :D Obviously youll need some games..

Wide support for 3rd party accesories will turn profit in the end - when they make money off each console sold..

Thats my forecast :p

That's a pretty long-term forecast, wouldn't you think? Seeing as how Sony is losing roughly $300 per console sold.

That's a pretty long-term forecast, wouldn't you think? Seeing as how Sony is losing roughly $300 per console sold.

I'm sure somewhere inside Sony HQ they are just praying the PS3 sells as many units as the PS2! :yes:

I'm sure somewhere inside Sony HQ they are just praying the PS3 sells as many units as the PS2! :yes:

I don't see Sony selling 100 million PS3s, but I'm pretty sure they're praying. :p

The 3rd party accessory support is a good move. Amidst all the bad Sony press, they are doing some things that I didn't really expect them to do, even if it doesn't directly make them any money.

Well, they originally said they would fix it and then they RETRACTED_THE_STATEMENT! Why would they retract it if they were working on it?

Because maybe they've finally learned to shut the hell up. :devil: