Firmware 1.300000 released

Yeah, always so negative :)

You know the saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me," well, Sony has been fooling us for a while now. If you want to keep drinking their Kool-Aid, be my guest. There's a huge difference between negative and realist.

You know the saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me," well, Sony has been fooling us for a while now. If you want to keep drinking their Kool-Aid, be my guest. There's a huge difference between negative and realist.

I alway thought it went "Fool me once, shame on...... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again." :laugh:

Only early adopters have sets that don't support 720p and these are the same people that paid $8,000-$10,000 on their TVs in 2001.

Where did that quote come from? What a load of crap.

My Samsung 27" CRT that I bought 5-6 years ago support 1080i only and set me back about $600 or $700 I think (it was a discounted demo model, but its retail wasn't all that much higher).

My 60 or so inch Philips rear-projection TV that I had from early 2003-2004 was I think around $1100. It also couldn't accept 720p, only 1080i.

Changelog

The PLAYSTATION?3 system software version 1.30 update includes the following:

Settings

* You can now register the BD remote control in [Register Bluetooth? Device] under [Accessory Settings].

* [bD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [bD/DVD Settings].

* [backup Utility] has been added as a feature under [system Settings].

* You can now select the hard disk format method in [Format Utility] and [Restore PS3? System] under [system Settings].

* The method of selecting output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].

Other

* The compatibility of USB devices with PlayStation?2 format software titles has changed. For details on USB devices that can be used with system software version 1.30, select here.

Here's ArsTechnica's view on the patch:

Sony has finally announced what the most recent update sought to accomplish: the official version of what this update does.

Of special note: the priority of resolutions has been changed, putting 1080i over 720p. So if you prefer 720p as a resolution, be sure to uncheck 1080i as a possible resolution on your television, or else games that support both resolutions will automatically display at 1080i. Of course, if you uncheck 1080i as a resolution, your Blu-ray movies will display at 480p. So you'll have to just manually switch the resolution yourself depending on what you're doing. Our CPU and Motherboard Moderater IceStorm put it best in his forum post:

Initially, the PS3 favored 720p over 1080i, so you had the best of both worlds - your 720p games played at 720p, your Blu-ray played at 1080i. The full hierarchy, from most favored to least favored, was 1080p, 720p, 1080i, 480p, and NTSC if you were using Component.

Now, with 1.3, that's all changed. 1080i is now "preferred" over 720p, so the list is now 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and NTSC.

Now everyone who owns a TV that doesn't operate at a native 1080p resolution (read: just about everyone) is screwed. We now have to rely on our TVs converting 1080i back into 720p. The only alternative is to take 1080i out of the resolution list. What happens when you do that? Blu-ray falls back to 480p. Now we have to go in and adjust the list whenever we flip between gaming and Blu-ray.

This affects far more than the "small" number of 1080i/480p sets. Sony's really screwed the pooch now.

If you have a 720p set, not only has Sony not fixed the scaling issues, they've made the process of playing games and watching movies less user friendly. Sony really wants you to upgrade into a 1080p set, and they seem to want to punish you if you don't have one. Remember folks, the high-definition era doesn't start until Sony says so. When will they say so? Not yet.

Source

And here is Kotaku's:

You might have heard that Sony issued another PlayStation 3 firmware update late last night (1.30), but might have been wondering "What the hell does it do?" Sony has sent out official confirmation of the changes and new features.

So, did Sony fix that niggling upscaling issue for PS3 owners who have 1080i support but not 720p? Hell no. Instead, the PS3 will now "automatically be displayed at the maximum resolution possible, according to the following order: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, Standard (NTSC)". Uh. Great?

On the plus side, support has been added for the Blu-ray remote control and USB peripherals"including steering wheels and flight sticks". Guitar Hero controller fix? Nah.

Additionally, under System Settings, a hard disk back up utility has been added to allow back up or restore of hard disk data. Interested parties should out the full statement after the jump for more info, while PS3 owners without 720p support should kindly **** off per Sony's request.

Source

Whats a low-quality update? :p

Given the recent changes in the priority list of the resolutions that the PS3 outputs, I think you can safely categorize this update as a 'low-quality update'. :p

This stuff is too strange to make up.

They actually further gimped the PS3's video out?

Then again the recent VGA 'fix' on 360 didn't, it actually messed things up for some.

Given the recent changes in the priority list of the resolutions that the PS3 outputs, I think you can safely categorize this update as a 'low-quality update'. :p

Yes, this does indeed suck :s

Update dose work good for me.

I think this is what Sony needs to do. using the automatic settings for video: set 720p (if 1080i/720p is supported) and 1080i (if 720p is not supported), and 1080p (if 1080p is supported), and so on.

Then if using the manual settings for video you should be able to set the priority your self.

Doesn't seem like the ultimate Blu-ray player as of now. At least the stand alone players have selectable output resolution. Is it going to be possible for Sony to release firmware fix that lets you pick one resolution for everything?

I dont see it being a flaw at the hardware level, it just needs to ironing out, i dont see it being long till its fixed, its just a shame it shipped with such a flaw and now a few firmware updates in its still not fixed.

I don't know what Sony said and I really could care less. It was definitely touted by many to be the ultimate solution for a fairly priced Blu-ray player and I think it was a reasonable expectation.

I don't know what Sony said and I really could care less. It was definitely touted by many to be the ultimate solution for a fairly priced Blu-ray player and I think it was a reasonable expectation.

Expectations are the problem - usually what ****es 'you people' (:laugh:) off

Expecting too much..

I will use the PS3 as my blu-ray player just like I used my PS2 as my primary DVD player..

Expecting too much..

I will use the PS3 as my blu-ray player just like I used my PS2 as my primary DVD player..

Oh, I know. Expecting HDTV resolutions from an HD player is just too much... :huh: Continue on with your justification. I wanna hear it. :p

Oh, I know. Expecting HDTV resolutions from an HD player is just too much... :huh: Continue on with your justification. I wanna hear it. :p

Uhh, THAT is to expect - but it being _THE ULTIMATE BLU-RAY PLAYER_ is not..

Uhh, THAT is to expect - but it being _THE ULTIMATE BLU-RAY PLAYER_ is not..

So now the logic is to buy a game console that is hundreds of dollars more than the competition and the games look the same so you can get a mediocre Blu-Ray player, even though the format may be the next Betamax?

Expecting too much..

So people (consumers, people that actually buy it, Microsoft fans already know not to trust Sony) shouldn't expect a properly working Blu-ray player when it was toted from the start as a cost effective solution? How is it an over expectation that the thing actually works properly?

Hey but now I could make a fancy charts of whats "REQUIRED" and how much it would cost to properly watch a movie in HD if you were to own one of the consoles and a 720p display.

Xbox 360 Premium: $400

HDDVD Drive: $200

Total: $600

PlayStation 3 Premium: $600

Sony BDP-S1: $1000

HDMI Cable: $100

Total: $1700

:rofl: :rofl:

So now the logic is to buy a game console that is hundreds of dollars more than the competition and the games look the same so you can get a mediocre Blu-Ray player, even though the format may be the next Betamax?

Just cause it's not the top of the line doesn't make it mediocre. I wouldn't call Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes mediocre cars.