Warner Bros to back Blu-ray DVD format exclusively

Hopefully this means that we will finally have a winner in the near future. It'll be hard for HD DVD to garner major support with one less studio. I was pulling for it too. Ah well

When we all bought into BD, we all wanted to justify our purchases too. Purchasing a PS3 just paid itself off today for me. This should start getting other hesitant studios onto the BD bandwagon.

The future is Blu ;)

Well that is part of it but I also believe that something could happen, you never really know what can happen in this world.

I know there is a big chance HD-DVD is going to lose and maybe die out but it's not yet so might as well keep the hopes up.

Cormier6083: So you really quoted it in your sig, hah!! Darn..

If the formats were neck and and neck then maybe, but as it stands since Blu-Ray came out its outsold HD DVD every single week now with Warner on board it can only mean bad things for HD DVD.

Well, you can quote mine if you want.

I'll remove it if you don't like it. :yes:

No no.. It's fine.. I'm sticking to my word. :pinch:

If the formats were neck and and neck then maybe, but as it stands since Blu-Ray came out its outsold HD DVD every single week now with Warner on board it can only mean bad things for HD DVD.

Yes you are right, I saw the ratings too.. Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD's left and right chances are slim but I still have hope.

Hopefully other companies don't do the same and maybe a big company might go exclusive to HD-DVD, if so what will happen next? :wacko:

I feel sorry for HD-DVD people, not in a "I told ya so" way, it's not like it was that clear. I feel sorry because those cheap players sold like hot cakes this christmas (apparently) and warner just went blue. At least, they didn't do it in a disruptive way like Paramount did, and until may they have plenty of time to honour the already announced titles for HD-DVD.

Think of all those people that will not be able to complete their harry potter collections :'( Nobody should be deprived of their dose of harry potter (or, erm, hermione). Neither should I be deprived from watching Claire[heroes] in 1080p :'(

Come on universal, become neutral, just for that one title!!!!

I was 250 euros short of going "purple". This announcement couldn't have come at a better time :p

Warner has announced that they will be switching to support Blu-ray exclusively. Warner has been supporting both formats since they were launched, but recent talk from top executives suggested that Warner couldn't continue down that road much longer, and that the all important holiday sales would help them make a decision. With Blu-ray winning every week in high definition sales this year, Warner has decided that The Future is Blu.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=803

That pretty much says everything, Warner saw that BD outsold HD DVD every week this year. That pretty much sealed the deal and I'm pretty sure Dreamworks and Paramount were locked up for a few years in the deal last year weren't they? So we can't expect any Blu titles for the next while?

Its definitely over, Blu-Ray has 6 out of the 8 main studios.

Disney, Fox, Lionsgate, MGM, Sony, Warner, Universal Studios and Paramount

Edited by Game

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=803

That pretty much says everything, Warner saw that BD outsold HD DVD every week this year. That pretty much sealed the deal and I'm pretty sure Dreamworks and Paramount were locked up for a few years in the deal last year weren't they? So we can't expect any Blu titles for the next while?

Meh, that's what the fanboys want to hear. I'm sure that they got money too, unless sales were REALLY that high. I'm blue and all, but come on :p

Interesting. I have a Blu-ray player (in my PS3), but for some reason I wanted HD-DVD to win. But really, there are no winners unless one format is no longer supported. :p

Awww. I was rooting for HD-DVD. Oh well, I'm just glad it will finally soon be over. I hope to see the other studios move to BR right away too so we can finally put a quick end to this.

Good news for Blu Ray, doesn't necessarily mean this war will just stop, it will be drawn out for a while to come.

Felt a bit sorry for Boz reading this, but if you go all "my beliefs are 100% correct, I know best" on people, you're going to get a bit of flak if they don't turn out to be right :laugh:

I now conclude Sony were spot on to include the Blu Ray drive in the PS3 - Even if it meant a very shaky start/slew of complaints about pricing. This news may now even increase PS3 sales!

It seems sooo strange to see a Sony format actually succeed for once :p

This time Toshiba played the Sony role: being the only apparent CE company supporting the format, coming up with a format themselves to get a bigger piece of the cake. The only thing left to be ALL sony was to overprice their product.

This time Sony got the product placed in every "front", and they kinda got it right: gaming consoles (now used as mediacenters, a trend that the 360 started), movies, recorders, and the PC market. Oh, and they went "world-wide". Toshiba on the other hand, focused on 1080i $200 standalone players and an aggressive US-only advertisement campaign.

last time I check the CD is a pretty successful format

so true

oh well .. I have had players for both hd-dvd and bluray for a long time now (as to have full access to the HD library)

Huge blow to hd-dvd, but the format will still be around for quite a while, and I still beleive that dual format players are the future

CES is right 'round the corner. Is universal expected to do something? I want heroes :(

No kidding.

Now all I want is Batman Begins and The Matrix Trilogy. Come out already!