Warner Bros to back Blu-ray DVD format exclusively

I never likes his debating style much either, but I seriously hope he doesn't pull a Dora the Explorer. ;)

(too soon?)

much too soon. very bad taste...

as for the war, whilst its not quite over, its a step in the right direction if only to get closer to one main format (i dont really mind which one wins, just that one does win).

This is just so exciting. I mean, he was so sure that Disney and Warner were going to go with HD-DVD and that Blu-Ray was going to go down in flames. I mean, cheap combo players will probably come out and save dear HD-DVD, but it's over.

Blu-Ray is victor.

I was jumping up and down when I heard this and yelling, YES! Know why? Now my Blu-ray investment is safe. :D I love my PS3!

I can't wait until Boz comes.

From timewarner.com

Warner Bros. Entertainment to Release its High-Definition DVD Titles Exclusively in the Blu-Ray Disc Format Beginning Later This Year

January 04, 2008

In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr...1700383,00.html

Now I want to see what Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks will do, go neutral?? can they go neutral??

don't we all. i'm getting my popcorn ready :laugh:

:D

It seems the only winners in this war are the movie companies, since manufacturers probably dished out for exclusivity, and that means we, the consumer, will be paying for it.

This isn't really the end of HD-DVD? I still see lots of studios still doing HD-DVD, sure the majority now supports BD. But it don't reallymatter that much. Neither format will go away.

Anyone who thought that Warner choosing a single format would really have an effect and kill the other format neds to do a reality check. The formats sell too little, and there's far too much money invested.

It's not like the HD-DVD studios will now suddenly go "oh well then We'll switch too". not with HD-DVD being the cheapest format to produce and havign the cheapest players. changign their production lines to BD, is extremely expensive, while HD-DVD allowed them to use a lot of existing DVD equipment for manufacturing.

As a HD-DVD supportr I accept that after I actually get a HD-DVD player, I will most likely have to get a BD player as well to play all the movies I want. The whole one format has to die seems to stem mostly from the BD camp, but then again seeing how much they need to pay for their players I suppose it makes sense they dont' want to cought up 1/4th of that for another player.

Howevr, as a movie watcher, who no longer cares abotu collecting every half decent movie, but only the really good ones, I don't really care about owning movies or physical formats anymore. Xbox360 and XBLM and similar service make infinitely more sense. Now if there only was movie marketplace in my country anytime soon.

Warner Bros will continue supporting HD DVD until May 2008. But after that, say goodbye to HD DVD. This is definitely a huge blow to the HD DVD camp, on the other hand its great news for current and future PS3 owners....especially since it seems like Apple will go Blu too. I'm assuming all of the other big studios who were paid off to go HD DVD like Paramount, Dreamworks etc. will wait for there deal to end before they perhaps switch over to BD only or neutral in the war?

What if Bill Gates decides to announce a BD drive attachment for the X360 now? :p

Edited by Game

I am a strong supporter of HD-DVD and I bought an HD-DVD player around a month ago, believing it will win or most likely because it had a majority of the movies I like.

Saying that I still have faith in HD-DVD, it doesn't have warner but it still has other companies who dish out great movies. It still has a chance in this so called "format war". Also I think if Microsoft does integrate the HD-DVD Player into the Xbox 360 there could be a turn around in sales and in maybe exclusives. Hopefully Microsoft will do the right thing, the thing that they should have done a while back (integrating HD-DVD).

I will give this some time and hopefully HD-DVD can pull out a miracle of some sort.

I am a strong supporter of HD-DVD and I bought an HD-DVD player around a month ago, believing it will win or most likely because it had a majority of the movies I like.

Saying that I still have faith in HD-DVD, it doesn't have warner but it still has other companies who dish out great movies. It still has a chance in this so called "format war". Also I think if Microsoft does integrate the HD-DVD Player into the Xbox 360 there could be a turn around in sales and in maybe exclusives. Hopefully Microsoft will do the right thing, the thing that they should have done a while back (integrating HD-DVD).

I will give this some time and hopefully HD-DVD can pull out a miracle of some sort.

a 360 with integrated hd-dvd wont mean a thing becuase of the already large 360 userbase. not enough people will care enough to buy a new console. if, however, the make the hd-dvd addon dirt cheap, it could make more of an impact.

...especially since it seems like Apple will go Blu too.

Well, Apple has been supporting Blu-Ray, but I know what you're saying.

I guess we'll find out at MacWorld.

a 360 with integrated hd-dvd wont mean a thing becuase of the already large 360 userbase. not enough people will care enough to buy a new console. if, however, the make the hd-dvd addon dirt cheap, it could make more of an impact.

Well yes there is a large userbase already but there is still people without a 360 and possibly buying one in the future.

And yes, making it atleast $100 cheaper will definitely turn some heads.

well it's definitely over.. I don't see HD DVD coming back from this.. a true shocker no doubt.. their decision is hardly fueled by business sense..

As I said, they wouldn't stay neutral for long.. I was pretty sure they would go HD DVD.

I should have put money on this. So the big 360 announcement at CES may read built in Blu Ray drive or addon. :p

ill wait for hell to freeze over first ;)

I must say that i did favor Hd-dvd but in reality, i dont have any $$ invested either way so aslong as there is a winner soon

well it's definitely over.. I don't see HD DVD coming back from this.. a true shocker no doubt.. their decision is hardly fueled by business sense..

As I said, they wouldn't stay neutral for long.. I was pretty sure they would go HD DVD.

short and sweet boz, but i personally think its not quite over yet...

Don't give up hope yet!!

short and sweet boz, but i personally think its not quite over yet...

I agree, it is not over yet in my eyes.. There is still a chance.

Maybe the river card might turn out to go for HD-DVD.. (I don't play poker) Just thought of it lol.

Don't give up hope yet!!

I agree, it is not over yet in my eyes.. There is still a chance.

Maybe the river card might turn out to go for HD-DVD.. (I don't play poker) Just thought of it lol.

You only say that because you are trying to justify your purchase of a HD DVD player, just because you wish it so doesnt mean it wont happen.

I wonder if those 400k people (??) are still in time to return those recently bought HD-DVD players? If this news is given as much "importance" as paramount's...

Still, I don't know if warner going blu was the right thing RIGHT NOW. Sure it's probably going to lean MOST of the consumers and fence-stiters to the blu side, but competition was the main motivation for the BD to move their asses and get BD 2.0 players to the market, lower prices, etc.

You only say that because you are trying to justify your purchase of a HD DVD player, just because you wish it so doesnt mean it wont happen.

Well that is part of it but I also believe that something could happen, you never really know what can happen in this world.

I know there is a big chance HD-DVD is going to lose and maybe die out but it's not yet so might as well keep the hopes up.

Cormier6083: So you really quoted it in your sig, hah!! Darn..

Well that is part of it but I also believe that something could happen, you never really know what can happen in this world.

I know there is a big chance HD-DVD is going to lose and maybe die out but it's not yet so might as well keep the hopes up.

Cormier6083: So you really quoted it in your sig, hah!! Darn..

Well, you can quote mine if you want.

I'll remove it if you don't like it. :yes: