18 year old crashes M5, kills 4 others

It was on the news here quite a bit a few weeks ago. Sad sad sad. :(

Im 20 years old and when I'm driving to and from Tampa (across 3 mile bridges) I regularly have people fly by me at 100+ mph. Scary stuff. Hell the one night I was coming back from Orlando and I had a motorcycle fly by me at no less than 200. I was going a tad fast, but he passed me as if I were sitting dead still, and was gone within 15-20 seconds.

I've really learned that there really is no need to go that fast, unless in a race (track). I personally was involved in a serious accident as a child (rv hitting my car at 65 and mine was going 5), and it really makes you think who could be on the other side of things...

Next time one of you kiddies is out flyin around, just think to yourself, why am I really doing this? Is it worth my life? Is it worth another persons life?

And all of you people questioning the power, so what if its 500 hp? There are PLENTY of lower hp cars that go excessively fast.

Lolwut? If you crashed at half their speed in an srt4 your body would be beyond recognition. She shouldn't buy you the car if she knows its a death trap....lol

I wanted to go half on a Charger RT with my parents as my 2nd car but they would not pay because none of the used models we looked at had side airbags, so I had to get an Audi A6. But, I'm much happier now anyways.

You are an idiot... this comment really ****ed me off since your so smart let me give you a little taste of what an SRT/4 did for one of my best friends. He had a White 2005 Dodge SRT/4 Neon, he was traveling at 90-100 mph on highway 9 in between Saratoga and Santa Cruz. So something happened that he wasnt paying attention or something came up that distracted him, he slid off the side of one of the cliffs and if you know highway 9 you would know there are plenty of large trees, he rolled, the airbag deployed, hes suffered a broken arm and a broken left leg and some brused ribs. The car didnt not have a front end, or a rear end, broken windshield and windows and a shitload of dents in the roof. Its not a death machine like you say it is. I had an SRT/4 before I got my SRT/8 Charger as my daily driver. Safety is a concern at Chrysler and all their cars are rated to withstand some of the most violent of crashes, so dont go off saying that its a deathtrap.

You are an idiot... this comment really ****ed me off since your so smart let me give you a little taste of what an SRT/4 did for one of my best friends. He had a White 2005 Dodge SRT/4 Neon, he was traveling at 90-100 mph on highway 9 in between Saratoga and Santa Cruz. So something happened that he wasnt paying attention or something came up that distracted him, he slid off the side of one of the cliffs and if you know highway 9 you would know there are plenty of large trees, he rolled, the airbag deployed, hes suffered a broken arm and a broken left leg and some brused ribs. The car didnt not have a front end, or a rear end, broken windshield and windows and a shitload of dents in the roof. Its not a death machine like you say it is. I had an SRT/4 before I got my SRT/8 Charger as my daily driver. Safety is a concern at Chrysler and all their cars are rated to withstand some of the most violent of crashes, so dont go off saying that its a deathtrap.

+1

The only thing that could make a car a deathtrap is the driver. Granted, their are better or worst cars, but Chrysler/Dodge cars all pass the crash tests, they all have the highest ratings. So they are NOT deathtraps.

Just be smart, drive carefully and you'll be fine.

+1

The only thing that could make a car a deathtrap is the driver. Granted, their are better or worst cars, but Chrysler/Dodge cars all pass the crash tests, they all have the highest ratings. So they are NOT deathtraps.

Like he said, we all remember the ferrari enzo dont we :)

is the car ok?.. yeah thats a awful thing to say, but honestly if your gonna drive a car like that you dont deserve it, especially with 3 other people in it. i mean thats f-n irresponsible sorry.

no, the m5 split into a couple pieces and burst into flames burning everything in the gas tank. and western style barbeque'd the individuals in the car.

is the car ok?.. yeah thats a awful thing to say, but honestly if your gonna drive a car like that you dont deserve it, especially with 3 other people in it. i mean thats f-n irresponsible sorry.

The car is unrecognisable.

+1

Agreed.

In certain situations (for example, when hitting a deer), a larger vehicle can be safer than a small car, but modern cars, even small ones, are generally pretty safe.

I've seen plenty of accidents involving small cars where the passengers walked away. On the other hand, Ottawa has had its share of fatal accidents involving large vehicles, such as SUVs.

If you wear your seatbelt and don't drive like an idiot, you should be safe on the road.

I went and test drove an M5 today... I think my SRT8 has more power but that might just be me.

There set at 400HP unless you go into the computer and tell it you want 507HP. Or you can just hit the M button.

Why? for gas millage of course.

I went and test drove an M5 today... I think my SRT8 has more power but that might just be me.

I haven't driven your car, or any car with the SRT8 for that matter, before but when I test drove the M5 I always kept on thinking "this V10 should be able to get more power out". I'm much more comfortable with the V8 which the M3 uses.

When you push the M button, things change around, the M5 gets a decent amount of power making the ride so much more fun. However, the V8 still gets my preference. They went to that V10 way too fast in my opinion.

Oh man, I drove a M3 last week a brand new all black one and wow, coming from a huge Ford Explorer, I was afraid to hit the gas pedal at all!

Such a smooth nice ride, but got to respect cars like those because you never know when your going to **** up and go into a tree with someone else's car.

Nobody should ever underestimate the power of their car unless they know what they are doing, in this case this kid crossed that line and ****ed up.

I ride the bus now. I had to stop my speeding some how. No matter the car I felt i had to speed. Good thing I didnt end up like this and also kill someone innocent.

I ride the bus now. I had to stop my speeding some how. No matter the car I felt i had to speed. Good thing I didnt end up like this and also kill someone innocent.

Is this another way of saying that your license got suspended? If not, do you still have your car?

Oh man, I drove a M3 last week a brand new all black one and wow, coming from a huge Ford Explorer, I was afraid to hit the gas pedal at all!

Such a smooth nice ride, but got to respect cars like those because you never know when your going to **** up and go into a tree with someone else's car.

Nobody should ever underestimate the power of their car unless they know what they are doing, in this case this kid crossed that line and ****ed up.

It's indeed a great but dangerous car. The best way to test it, to get to know it is a private playground with enough space. Only then take it to the road, that's what we always do. First drive to the track and playground, warm up the tires extensively, get to know the car and finally take it for a spin on the Autobahn.

• 2 weeks later...

Neons have really low crash test ratings, basically what the SRT4 is, no matter what SRT owners say. Anyone can get lucky and survive a crash, idiot. Just becuase 1 person survived the crash doesn't mean the car is safe; ****, that is some flawed logic on your part. The OP of that post said his mother knows they are deathtraps, and I was simply agreeing, and also adding that what mom would buy their kid a car that they know is unsafe. You can't tell me a BMW M5 won't fare better in 99% of the crashes than an SRT4 getting in the same crashes.

Agreed.

In certain situations (for example, when hitting a deer), a larger vehicle can be safer than a small car, but modern cars, even small ones, are generally pretty safe.

I've seen plenty of accidents involving small cars where the passengers walked away. On the other hand, Ottawa has had its share of fatal accidents involving large vehicles, such as SUVs.

If you wear your seatbelt and don't drive like an idiot, you should be safe on the road.

I am not talking about the driver, I am talking about the car. Looking at crash tests, the SRT4 (NEON) simply does not fare as well as other cars.

I'm not against SRT's or Chryslers in general, btw. I love the 300s, Chargers (was going to buy one), Those 2 cars in their SRT versions, Rams, and the SRT8 Jeeps.

Wrong.

inb4 Topgear bias, now while it may have more torque, you said the SRT8 is faster than a car with better engineering, smaller curb weight, and more hp..GTFO

Edited by dropscience

yea he was active at m5board.com

the owner of the car was his father. his last post on the forum was several hours before the accident. he went on about how he was a very responsible driver and could handle a 500+ hp car.

If you belive any 18 year old when they say they drive responsibly in a M5, you're as silly as they are.