Moar Linux!

There's a severe lack of Linux news on Neowin. I'll happily admit I'm strongly in the Microsoft carebear camp, but I still like the news about Linux, which is sorely missing here on Neowin. I was astounded to see Debian 5.0 'Lenny' received no news article at all. It's a pretty major release, and again, I as a MS carebear knew that. There's always stuff happening in the Linux world which has frequent releases as a means of staying alive, and it would be nice to see just some of it actually reported.

<3 for all.

Wanna hug?

There is alot of stuff in the linux world, but most of the responses you will get are "it's called neoWIN

So uhm yeah.

That's FAIL right there considering they do apple news along with other news not just windows , I would love to see more linux news as well.

There's a severe lack of Linux news on Neowin. I'll happily admit I'm strongly in the Microsoft carebear camp, but I still like the news about Linux, which is sorely missing here on Neowin. I was astounded to see Debian 5.0 'Lenny' received no news article at all. It's a pretty major release, and again, I as a MS carebear knew that. There's always stuff happening in the Linux world which has frequent releases as a means of staying alive, and it would be nice to see just some of it actually reported.

<3 for all.

MS and Apple have releases that are talked about because of the changes they bring to their interfaces etc. Linux has so many distributions and so many updates it would fill Neowin with news that would become a little pointless.

Bare in mind, however, Neowin reports on Linux for overall updates, such as core kernel updates and desktop environment updates, to KDE and gnome, i believe. Repoting that an individual version is not so important as repoting on the over all core of Linux as a whole.

So, becasue MS only has one OS (Windows) and Apple has only one product (Mac), they are reported. Linux has many distributions, but only one core fundimental. It is that core that is reported about as opposed to the actual Linux distributions.

Bare in mind that if there was a release of a Linux distibution that really bought something new, specific and significant to the computing/Linux world, then it would be reported on.

UPDATE: I realise my spelling is awfull in the above post.... I cant be bothered to correct it.

MS and Apple have releases that are talked about because of the changes they bring to their interfaces etc. Linux has so many distributions and so many updates it would fill Neowin with news that would become a little pointless.

No, it wouldn't.

The whole argument of "our user-base only comes here for Windows news, so that's what we deliver" is stupid.

People simply don't come here for Linux/(Free) Software news because the news staff doesn't bother to post a god damned thing about them. A content is not audience-driven, it's the audience that is lured by the content. No content implies no audience.

We have a specific section for Linux/Software news, which is not used (the Software news is used as Filehippo.com or some sort) and can be posted on without being linked with a main news.

Bare in mind, however, Neowin reports on Linux for overall updates, such as core kernel updates and desktop environment updates, to KDE and gnome, i believe.

No, it doesn't.

Bare in mind that if there was a release of a Linux distibution that really bought something new, specific and significant to the computing/Linux world, then it would be reported on.

The whole world of Open Source is larger than just Linux distributions.

I'm just after some linux news. Right now, there's next to nothing. I agree, reporting every little Linux update across every distribution would be rather silly, given the magnitude of updates across so many distros. You will however note that I didn't ask for comprehensive reports of every update. Just news on more popular distributions such as Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch etc. Just some more news coverage would be nice.

UPDATE: I realise my spelling is awfull in the above post.... I cant be bothered to correct it.

Like Debian 5.0?

No, it wouldn't.

The whole argument of "our user-base only comes here for Windows news, so that's what we deliver" is stupid.

People simply don't come here for Linux/(Free) Software news because the news staff doesn't bother to post a god damned thing about them. A content is not audience-driven, it's the audience that is lured by the content. No content implies no audience.

We have a specific section for Linux/Software news, which is not used (the Software news is used as Filehippo.com or some sort) and can be posted on without being linked with a main news.

I never argued that they dome here for Windows news only. There are MANY Linux distributions and ever user of Linux on Neowin, feels that their preffered OS of choice needs to be written about, so if Neowin did post about each one, Neowin would be full of articles that a lot of people would then complain are pointless.

You can say "no it wouldn't", all you like, but in the end i am sure the news team would agree with me, from their past experiences of posting such things on Neowin.

No, it doesn't.

If i could be bothered, i would find a load of articles that have been posted in Neowin in the past regarding Linux updates etc.

Either you never read them, never saw them or your just being bloody minded and want to flaim Neowin for the sake of flaiming. Do a search and im sure you will find a few relating to kernel updates and desktop environment updates.

The whole world of Open Source is larger than just Linux distributions.

We are not talking about the world of open source though, are we... we are talking about Linux and the posting of distributions.

I'm just after some linux news. Right now, there's next to nothing. I agree, reporting every little Linux update across every distribution would be rather silly, given the magnitude of updates across so many distros. You will however note that I didn't ask for comprehensive reports of every update. Just news on more popular distributions such as Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch etc. Just some more news coverage would be nice.

Like Debian 5.0?

I kind of understand what your saying, but it would be really difficult for the Neowin staff. They post on Debian and then get a load of users complain that they dont report on their proffered Linux OS.

Again my argument relating to major updates to the fundimentals of Linux as a whole comes in to play.

Debian is an OS update as opposed to an overall Linux update as far as im aware? So there is nothing incorperated in to the new one, which is going to revolutionise Linux as a whole?

If there are no updates relating to Linux lately, then its possibly because there have been no major updates to report on. Again, individual OS are not really news worthy.

Any articles on Linux would be greatly appreciated, I am sure. Even though this site is Neowin, the Admins here are very open to all types of technical news, OSs, hardware, software, whatever. Remember, they were very open to us developing Shift Linux here, and offered server space and advertising.

Just submit to the news department, or contact a newsie for more info.

Any articles on Linux would be greatly appreciated, I am sure. Even though this site is Neowin, the Admins here are very open to all types of technical news, OSs, hardware, software, whatever. Remember, they were very open to us developing Shift Linux here, and offered server space and advertising.

Just submit to the news department, or contact a newsie for more info.

All of this is untrue, Barney. You don't know about it.

Is it me, or every time someone farts, sneezes or whispers at Redmond it gets on the (front) news?

Debian Lenny, Arch 2009.02 DragonFly BSD 2.2 were released in the past week. Those are pretty huge releases, btw.

Debian is Debian. Arch is the base of Shift, our own distro. DragonFly is a major BSD player.

Major news. No input.

Compiz 0.8 was finally released as well and Nokia is going to stop developping Qt Jambi and release it under LGPL.

Major news. No input.

Psion and the "Netbook" trademark issue?

Major news. No input.

The new Sun ODF plug-in.

Regular news, big if you need/use the damn thing.

What is going on? Neowin now has the Linux, Mac and Software sections and they don't get any use.

And now there's even more news people for Redmond news. This is not good at all.

We wouldn't have this conversation if I (and others) didn't submitted all the above news into the scrutiny of the news staff. (The only one posted was the Ubuntu Karmic Koala.)

It's a moot point on having dedicated Linux/Software sections when the crew doesn't go near those sections (they may not even be linked with the main news!, but WTH... not even posting Debian Lenny?).

All of this is untrue, Barney. You don't know about it.

All I have to say to this post is "wtf"

There is a very good reason why Linux isn't covered. The problem is, there are so many distributions, it's too much to cover. Even though most releases are sprawled out, there isn't enough people to justify it.

There is a very good reason why Linux isn't covered. The problem is, there are so many distributions, it's too much to cover. Even though most releases are sprawled out, there isn't enough people to justify it.

I don't see the logic in saying that there is so much to post, so nothing ought to be posted. :unsure:

I personally believe that many of these items (like the Debian base, which is a strong and popular foundation for distros such as Ubuntu [heard of that one?]) ought to have at least been posted in the Linux section. I can see not posting it in Front Page Main. But there is a "Linux" section of the news... It's just not very used.

smiley-tumbleweed.gif

There's an entire news sections devoted to Linux. That's the very good reason why Linux should be covered.

I don't see the logic in saying that there is so much to post, so nothing ought to be posted. :unsure:

I personally believe that many of these items (like the Debian base, which is a strong and popular foundation for distros such as Ubuntu [heard of that one?]) ought to have at least been posted in the Linux section. I can see not posting it in Front Page Main. But there is a "Linux" section of the news... It's just not very used.

smiley-tumbleweed.gif

There's an entire news sections devoted to Linux. That's the very good reason why Linux should be covered.

Before we continue with this thread, i think people should be made aware of something i did not realise:

ALL REFFERENCES IN THIS THREAD ARE RELATING TO A LINUX NEWS SECTION WHICH A FEW PEOPLE (including me) DONT OR DIDNT KNOW ABOUT, NOT THE MAIN NEWS SECTION/SITE OF NEOWIN.

That is all, please continue :p

Guys, you don't have to cover every linux distro release. The problem is, that nothing really gets covered. Would be nice to have kernel updates, gnome, kde, fluxbox, ect. You know, major unified things that are in many/all distros. I don't think anybody expects every single minor release of every distro to be covered, that's just stupid.

All I have to say to this post is "wtf"

I wasn't saying that Barney is a liar. I was trying to say that his expectations on some of the steps he enumerated are too high.

The fact is that Linux/Free Software news are submitted and little (none?) are approved.

SORRY BARNEY!

I hardly think that observing a lack of news postings in the Linux News section (5 since the new year) is "trolling". It does seem that there are submissions being made, just not accepted for the Linux section.

Again, an occasional submission may be Front Page worthy, and most might be better posted in "Linux". But it seems that there may be a little bit of cobweb build-up in the Linux section while other members are doing their part to submit items that ought to at least get some traffic in that area.

I hardly think that observing a lack of news postings in the Linux News section (5 since the new year) is "trolling". It does seem that there are submissions being made, just not accepted for the Linux section.

Again, an occasional submission may be Front Page worthy, and most might be better posted in "Linux". But it seems that there may be a little bit of cobweb build-up in the Linux section while other members are doing their part to submit items that ought to at least get some traffic in that area.

Mark: With all due respect, but knowing Pandya's opinion on Linux in particular and F/OSS in general from watching him on the #neowin IRC channel I just know he's trolling.

I don't visit IRC.

If you say he's a troll, then so be it.

But it seems there is some merit in this post. I can see the bias toward F/LOSS, but I am not observing the irrationality or hatred.

I don't visit IRC.

If you say he's a troll, then so be it.

But it seems there is some merit in this post. I can see the bias toward F/LOSS, but I am not observing the irrationality or hatred.

Don't get me wrong, he does make a valid point. However, let me quote from the IRC logs:

[10:06:30]&lt;Pandya&gt; **** I'm an MS fangirl and I care about linux news
[10:06:36]&lt;Pandya&gt; it gives me news stories to troll

Frank from Frankfurt... now here is someone who can say: "My Town!"

I don't think Pandya is trolling... he makes valid point, I'd answer that probably no one really cares (well someone does but I don't care about him), but still, failplay is fairplay.

Guys, you don't have to cover every linux distro release. The problem is, that nothing really gets covered. Would be nice to have kernel updates, gnome, kde, fluxbox, ect. You know, major unified things that are in many/all distros. I don't think anybody expects every single minor release of every distro to be covered, that's just stupid.

Exactly.

Gentlemen:

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

Not 100% true. He has SOME truth to his post.

Mark: With all due respect, but knowing Pandya's opinion on Linux in particular and F/OSS in general from watching him on the #neowin IRC channel I just know he's trolling.

Maybe he is, but he has still bought up a valid point.

Don't get me wrong, he does make a valid point. However, let me quote from the IRC logs:

[10:06:30]&lt;Pandya&gt; **** I'm an MS fangirl and I care about linux news
[10:06:36]&lt;Pandya&gt; it gives me news stories to troll

Again... his point is still "somewhat" valid, even if its soul intention was to troll.

Rich: Did you read my last post in this thread?

I agree that there is a lack of Linux coverage on the Neowin front page. But coming from Pandya and considering the quote from the IRC logs this thread is trolling. Or fishing for new trolling material.