Star Trek Into Darkness

:/

Rough approximation of my face as Abrams tries to suggest anyone can enter a warp core and survive more than a millisecond as even slightly legitimate in any Star Trek related show/movie.

Depends on the type of radiation. Some kill slower than others, plus many (photonic) would have a high directionality in roughly in parallel with the alignment gap.

There were a couple of reasons I liked the radiation scene. One, it showed that even though there's an

obvious timeline difference, some things were simply meant to be. Which brings me to number 2: Old Spock tells

new Spock the story (we know this when he starts with the "At great cost" line), and when Scotty calls Spock to

Engineering, Spock tears ass down there because he knows what that cost is. I thought it was awesome.

• Like 1

Perhaps an original story ....

That's where I'm confused. A local reviewer threw it under the bus for the same complaint, that somehow its just a rehash/remake of a prior film, which is simply not true. How can you dismiss the entire film (and overlook other more relevant criticisms) over a 10 minute bit of synchronicity? At worst, there are some mirror sections, but that is well established already when dealing with alternate timelines.

• Like 3

^ I don't dismiss the entire movie -- it is entertaining.

It has lots of razzle-dazzle.

Acting was good.

But I doubt I would have watched, knowing it was a reboot of

The Wrath of Kahn.

It also has the same story hole -- 200 years from now, they are too dumb to have some sort of protective suits in dealing with radiation ... ?

In the same movie, they survive flying thru Space, in astronaut suits !

I would also expect that they would have 23rd century robots, androids that could have gone in, and do what Kirk did.

:/

Rough approximation of my face as Abrams tries to suggest anyone can enter a warp core and survive more than a millisecond as even slightly legitimate in any Star Trek related show/movie.

Its not worse than the idea that black holes create a portal that sends you back in the past :) (Sometimes, other times they apparently crush you and suck you in. I guess this is random and dependent on the needs of the story at the time).

^ I don't dismiss the entire movie -- it is entertaining.

It has lots of razzle-dazzle.

Acting was good.

But I doubt I would have watched, knowing it was a reboot of

The Wrath of Kahn.

It also has the same story hole -- 200 years from now, they are too dumb to have some sort of protective suits in dealing with radiation ... ?

In the same movie, they survive flying thru Space, in astronaut suits !

I would also expect that they would have 23rd century robots, androids that could have gone in, and do what Kirk did.

Actually there's a continuity error there too.

one of the new bridge officers is an android... afaik Commander Data was the only known android to be in Starfleet...

one of the new bridge officers is an android... afaik Commander Data was the only known android to be in Starfleet...

Hmm .. I haven't read that anywhere.. I guess I'll find out when I see the movie.

I find this whole area of Star Trek lore a bit problematic though. After all, by the 24th century they can create countless holograms that act perfectly intelligent, have complex personalities, and even display emotion, but its such a big deal for them to embed the same exact program in a walking robot?

>

I find this whole area of Star Trek lore a bit problematic though. After all, by the 24th century they can create countless holograms that act perfectly intelligent, have complex personalities, and even display emotion, but its such a big deal for them to embed the same exact program in a walking robot?

Holodecks have the whole ships computer and information logs available to do that mind simulation. It's orders of magnitude harder to make that portable, even for todays limited neural net simulations.

Holodecks have the whole ships computer and information logs available to do that mind simulation. It's orders of magnitude harder to make that portable, even for todays limited neural net simulations.

And yet they were able to put a simulation of the entire known galaxy for Moriarty and his wife in a tabletop device.

Just saw it in IMAX 3D, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised :D The tie-ins to other movies (while they did make it a bit predictable closer to the end) I enjoyed, and even the group of people I went with (most of whom had never seen a Trek show/movie in their life) liked it a lot.

Am I correct in thinking that the half-destroyed moon hovering over Qo'noS/Kronos was Praxis, tying it in to The Undiscovered Country? And the whole "tribble comes back to life" scene was completely predictable, even if you hadn't seen The Search for Spock.

Also I agree with the person up there who said the ending was possibly leading it into a new series, I would love to see a new Trek series. The only thing about the whole "building into a series" ending I didn't like was that it's probably going to be an rebootverse version of TOS, which could honestly get old fast.

overall a great movie, I would recommend it to just about everyone :p

He looks the part but he didn't win me over with his interpretation of Spock. Too much emotion.

Agreed, I don't know why he just didn't play himself, any interview ive seen with him, he seems to have a personality of a brick.

Ive been to see it twice so far, its a good film and its got some nice tie ins, but too much story taken from a previous movie, once you realise who the baddie is, you can more or less work out the remaining screentime.

Also the "baddie" whilst very good, looks nothing like or even from the same gene pool as the TOS version. That kind of wound me up :)

Its not worse than the idea that black holes create a portal that sends you back in the past :) (Sometimes, other times they apparently crush you and suck you in. I guess this is random and dependent on the needs of the story at the time).

And don't forget that when two stars collapse in alternate universes you can get sucked into a mirror universe at warp 36.

For the love of everything that is Trekkie....stop trying to pull apart this lovable movie and just enjoy it. I saw it today and it outstanding.

I agree. I saw it last night on IMAX 3D and I was very pleased with it. The only thing that bothered me was that the Enterprise didn't shoot a single phaser!!!!!....LOL...LOL....No actual battle there, and Abrahams didn't really show the Enterprise from the outside much, other than that the movie was well made. Without directly giving away anything, I will say that there was a "cameo" there by someone we are all familiar with and the movie has the "K" letter written all over the place.

I really wanted to see a serious phaser battle between the Enterprise and the other ship :(

I agree. I saw it last night on IMAX 3D and I was very pleased with it. The only thing that bothered me was that the Enterprise didn't shoot a single phaser!!!!!....LOL...LOL....No actual battle there, and Abrahams didn't really show the Enterprise from the outside much, other than that the movie was well made. Without directly giving away anything, I will say that there was a "cameo" there by someone we are all familiar with and the movie has the "K" letter written all over the place.

I really wanted to see a serious phaser battle between the Enterprise and the other ship :(

Yeah that was one thing about the movie. They didn't really show the firepower of the Enterprise. Oh wait, they stated that in the movie it's not supposed to be a 'fighter class'. lol. Also, Alice Eve was pretty nice on the eyes. Too bad her character didn't play a large role in the movie.

Nope. This is after the timeline split so anything goes.

But look, the whole film is a work of fiction. Don't get knickers in a twist over fiction ;)

Yeah that was one thing about the movie. They didn't really show the firepower of the Enterprise. Oh wait, they stated that in the movie it's not supposed to be a 'fighter class'. lol. Also, Alice Eve was pretty nice on the eyes. Too bad her character didn't play a large role in the movie.

Funny because on the first movie, the Enterprise really kicked ass with those phasers!!!!....LOL...She is well equipped to fight and kick ass and its true fighting capabilities should have been shown on this movie. I think fans expected it.

Funny because on the first movie, the Enterprise really kicked ass with those phasers!!!!....LOL...She is well equipped to fight and kick ass and its true fighting capabilities should have been shown on this movie. I think fans expected it.

Well I guess if you do a Vengance vs Enterprise weaponry.. I think the Vengance has more. LOL. Afterall, it's the flagship battleship.

Well I guess if you do a Vengance vs Enterprise weaponry.. I think the Vengance has more. LOL. Afterall, it's the flagship battleship.

Maybe we'll see a bit more on the next film. The film leaves you with the possibility of "Revenge" in mind. I don't think we have seen the last of "John Harrison".

Saw it on Thursday. Amazing!

The only thing I didn't like is ancient star wars looking uniforms. Even the old red dress uniforms were better looking.

Nope. This is after the timeline split so anything goes.

Not really. It's not realistic to have major advancements being made a century before their appearance in the prime timeline, especially given that the destruction of Vulcan would have significantly impeded the development of technology by the Federation. However, in respect to this particular case his character was an "augmented human" and not an android.

Felt the ending was rushed. Cumberbach was a badass baddie,

but did not get to see enough of the "bad" Khan. Felt that after Spock's double crossing, he would go ballistic and destroy half the Earth. But instead all we got was a fistfight and it ended. Would have liked it better if the film ended with Kirk dying and Vengeance crashing into the sea and Khan escaping, with a more epic battle (of wits and firepower, not hand to hand combat) in the sequel.