[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

Where is the hard drive? Underneath the PS3?

Pannel bottom right is my guess

3833594013_06f3ccc5b0_b.jpg

Looks detachable.

Trying to decide between this and a Zune HD now... I'm leaning towards the Zune HD now and this later, as there really aren't many PS3 games I want that I can't get on my 360.

Pannel bottom right is my guess

3833594013_06f3ccc5b0_b.jpg

Looks detachable.

I noticed that before, I thought it was a memory card slot or something, but I remembered that they removed that feature. I just didn't think that it would be there, but it kinda makes sense. Only in 2 weeks can we really tell. :p

I liked how with the original PS3 I could just go down to the comp store and get a PC power cable :p

Hopefully my mate helping me apply new thermal paste to my 60GB will mean it's quieter :p

Good point, didn't even notice the power socket has changed.

I guess it'll have a ghost buster trap now too :p

There is one for your X360, why not another one just in case more than one ghost comes in different locations. :shifty:

I already have a collection from dead 360's :laugh:

I could start my own ghostbusting business :p

MunkyBusters! or DrunknBusters! or DrunknGhostBusters! :rofl:

*Goes to trademark the names*

Power supply is still internal I believe

The internal design architecture of the new PS3 system, from the main semiconductors and power supply unit to the cooling mechanism, has been completely redesigned, achieving a much slimmer and lighter body. Compared to the very first PS3 model with 60GB HDD, the internal volume as well as its thickness and weight are trimmed down to approximately two-thirds. Furthermore, power consumption is also cut to two-thirds, helping to reduce fan noise. While inheriting the sleek curved body design of the original model, the form factor of the new PS3 system features a new meticulous design with textured surface finish, giving an all new impression and a casual look. With the compact body and casual appearance, the newly introduced model will appeal to a wider audience who are looking to buy the best entertainment system for their home.

Fan noise reduction!

2q0m1cw.jpg

Good point, didn't even notice the power socket has changed.

I guess it'll have a ghost buster trap now too :p

Thats a standard "figure of 8" power socket used by many different electical devices. The PSU will still be internal.

post-64792-1250621628.jpg

American

post-64792-1250621651.jpg

British

Out of curioristy, do we know if the power supply will work abroad? Otherwise my Canada plans are scruppered.

As long as the console itself supports the voltage of the country you're visiting, you should be fine so long as you've got the appropriate power cable or country adapter.

Oh, phew.

Had me worried there :p Now if they'll announce BC via firmware then I might be able to get a Slim in the future for my media centre and use my Phat for memory card reading or something.

250w max, not 250w constant.

The PS3 has always been more power hungry than a 360. Blu Ray drive and the chipset for HD audio decoding probably ramp it up, along with whatever CELL uses.

I'm not sure what my PS3 is currently using, but the Slim is a reported 36% lower usage I think.

Of course it's not constant, but the latest PS3 (65nm Cell/RSX) have a PSU rated at 280W and normal consumption of around 90-120W.

Now they bring a "slimmer" version and reduce it from only 30W :pinch:

So the "slim" version have nothing new from the older except cost reduction and the PSU moved out of the console?

I just hope the PSU isn't super big, looking at the brick we have on the 360 (for 150W)...

Of course it's not constant, but the latest PS3 (65nm Cell/RSX) have a PSU rated at 280W and normal consumption of around 90-120W.

So the "slim" version have nothing new from the older except cost reduction and the PSU moved out of the console?

I just hope the PSU isn't super big, looking at the brick we have on the 360 (for 150W)...

The PSU is not being removed, at least not for sure. It seems like it might be removed, but the PS2 (Original) had that same power connector and was internal.

250W is not the constant that will be used. It will be less and if needed it will use 250W.

Size of it is appealing, and the 36 or 43%? lower energy usage.

However buttons are horrible, should of kept touch buttons, but I suspect they went the way of the dodo for cost cutting.

As I said in my topic the current PS3 is $299 in stores starting tomorrow, I'd pick that up before September if you don't want a Slim.

to you sure it is but to others not so much .. to me it looks pretty much the same :/ im a HUGE ps2 fan but the ps3 ... meh waste of cash imho

Edited by Max

The power supply is still internal.

Also max power usage does not give you an indication of real world results.

90nm CPU/90nm GPU PS3 - 200 watts

65nm CPU/90nm GPU PS3 - 142 watts

65nm CPU/65nm GPU PS3 - 105 watts

or

It's been revealed that the new 40GB PlayStation 3 features more than just a cut down hard disk drive. Sony has also thought to stick the 65nm version of the Cell inside the new console, reducing the power usage down to around 135 Watts (down from 200 Watts.)

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/30/40gb-ps...er-consumption/

It's just what the maximum of the device is rated at.

to you sure it is but to others not so much .. to me it looks pretty much the same :/ im a HUGE ps2 fan but the ps3 ... meh waste of cash imho

My PS3 is ****ing huge, why on earth would a smaller one not be attractive? I am not buying it though, I don't like the matte finish. The size is the only thing that appeals to me, no touch buttons, no gloss and no OtherOS support, even although I don't use that.

In other news, Amazon pre-order is up - http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Slim/d...9699&sr=8-1

Edited by Max

If it comes with a brick I'm keeping "Biggins" and skipping the slim.

Lolz. Why? You have a X360 Brick, one more couldn't hurt.

Then agin you already have one, so you don't really need a new one. :p

is there any info at all on backward compatibility ?

There is none currently. Rumor has it a new firmware will be coming soon with software emulation.

The PSU is not being removed, at least not for sure. It seems like it might be removed, but the PS2 (Original) had that same power connector and was internal.
The PS1 has integrated PSU, the PSone has external PSU;

The PS2 has internal PSU, the PS2 Slim has external PSU;

The PS3 has internal PSU, now, I would be surprised the PS3 Slim would not fellow the two others...

It says Bravia Sync is a feature of the PS3 Slim... is that hardware or software?

Please god be software, because if it's hardware I won't get it (unless I buy a slim). I assume with Bravia Sync I'd have no need for my PS3 Bluetooth remote any more which would mean just one remote for me! :D No need to buy overpriced harmony remotes/overpriced harmony dongle for PS3. My current remote does TV/Sound system, I just have the issue of needing the PS3 Bluetooth remote for XMB navigation.

If that's true, it means they put in an internal IR, because the reason it doesn't work now is Bluetooth, no IR. Way to slip that in unnoticed, Sony. Might have to sell one of mine and get a slim if that's true.

Still only two USB? Fail.

Edited by soniqstylz