[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

I've always been a fan of the "slim" PlayStation produces (had a PSone and still have my PStwo) and in general found them to be much better [looking] then the original one. However, the PSthree looks really really cheap to me :/ while the smaller size is most welcomed my PS3 Phat is in no danger of being replaced as I'm happy with it :)

The logo no longer moves! Something I didn't notice.

Yeah I'm quite sad about that, it moved on the PS2, then again on the PS3, little bit of nostalgia :p

By the way anyone remember this guy?

Super_Secret

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:13 PM

It is real. It is a PS3 that's been cut down as much as physically possible without preventing the loss of playback of any existing PS3 title out there. It still has blu-ray, it still has wireless, it still has bluetooth and it still has gigabit ethernet.

"OtherOS" support has been removed.

You still get 2 USB ports.

Hard drive sizes will be bigger, it will come in 120Gb and 250Gb flavours. It's still replaceable and will actually be slightly easier as it has been relocated to the front of the console.

It will NOT have any "new" features, such as backwards compatibility or enhanced peripheral support. It's just a PS3, but slightly smaller and cheaper.

The power supply is still internal, but a different power cable will be used.

Rear ports are still the same: 1x HDMI, 1x Sony AV port, 1x Optical, 1x Ethernet. And of course a power port.

Release date and official announcement are not final.

Price is undetermined, but make no mistake, this is a "slimmed" PS3 in ever sense of the word. It's as cheap as can possibly be, so expect it to launch with a smaller price tag than what you're paying now in your respective territories.

Internally, several daughter boards have been removed, but all functionality is still there. This is due to a more advanced manufacturing process. It still uses a few extra boards, though, we're not quite at PSTwo levels yet.

A Cheaper Blu-ray drive is being used. It wont be any slower, but expect to see similar issues that another competitor had a while ago.

Touch-sensitive buttons on the front for power/eject are gone in favour of cheaper push buttons.

It has a slightly different startup screen. Only slightly.

It's about 50% smaller than current PS3s.

It wont be called the "PS3 Slim". The PS1 "slim" and the PS2 "slim" were never officially called the "slim", either.

In short: It's a smaller PS3, but that's it. No new features, no special hardware, just smaller and cheaper. And it wont have sex with you.

Cross-game chat is in the works as part of Firmware 3.0. It wont be out during the summer, but assuming all goes well, it will be out well before the holidays. Current timeframe places it around September, but it's still very much a WIP. If there are any major delays, that will slip and if there are very few delays at all, it might even arrive earlier, but don't bank on it as it is a lot more complicated than you might imagine. At this point, it's working quite well in the labs and supports several players at once.

It's targeted to work with all past and future games that support ingame XMB, much like text chat.

I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "slim" shipped with this firmware installed (that doesn't mean the slim will come first, remember).

Who said the 3000 wasn't being phased out? It will be and sooner than you realise. However, the PSP Go isn't what's replacing it. The 4000 is. And yes, it will have a UMD drive. And similar to the PS3 "slim", it's nothing to actually get excited about.

Keep a very close eye on the hard drives shipped with newer PS3's. In a few months (or possibly sooner), something strange is going to start happening.

There you have it, folks. That's it, I'm done, I'm outta here. If you have any more questions, you'll just have to wait like everyone else. This account is gone, never to be logged into again. You might see me in a few months time when I've got something even more awesome to tell you, but it wont be from this account and it probably wont even be on this site. Adios!

Source: http://forums.n4g.com/Firmware-280-Release...m659467-p5.aspx

He was spot on about the PS3! The startup screen has changed (you can see it in 1UP video).

Even the 250GB part. You just don't guess that amount of detail right, not way back in June...

Wonder what happened with voice chat in 3.0, maybe Sony just haven't told us about it yet? (it isn't due till September...).

The logo no longer moves! Something I didn't notice.

yep, quite lame

Quote -

Super_Secret

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:13 PM

It is real. It is a PS3 that's been cut down as much as physically possible without preventing the loss of playback of any existing PS3 title out there. It still has blu-ray, it still has wireless, it still has bluetooth and it still has gigabit ethernet.

"OtherOS" support has been removed.

You still get 2 USB ports.

Hard drive sizes will be bigger, it will come in 120Gb and 250Gb flavours. It's still replaceable and will actually be slightly easier as it has been relocated to the front of the console.

It will NOT have any "new" features, such as backwards compatibility or enhanced peripheral support. It's just a PS3, but slightly smaller and cheaper.

The power supply is still internal, but a different power cable will be used.

Rear ports are still the same: 1x HDMI, 1x Sony AV port, 1x Optical, 1x Ethernet. And of course a power port.

Release date and official announcement are not final.

Price is undetermined, but make no mistake, this is a "slimmed" PS3 in ever sense of the word. It's as cheap as can possibly be, so expect it to launch with a smaller price tag than what you're paying now in your respective territories.

Internally, several daughter boards have been removed, but all functionality is still there. This is due to a more advanced manufacturing process. It still uses a few extra boards, though, we're not quite at PSTwo levels yet.

A Cheaper Blu-ray drive is being used. It wont be any slower, but expect to see similar issues that another competitor had a while ago.

Touch-sensitive buttons on the front for power/eject are gone in favour of cheaper push buttons.

It has a slightly different startup screen. Only slightly.

It's about 50% smaller than current PS3s.

It wont be called the "PS3 Slim". The PS1 "slim" and the PS2 "slim" were never officially called the "slim", either.

In short: It's a smaller PS3, but that's it. No new features, no special hardware, just smaller and cheaper. And it wont have sex with you.

Cross-game chat is in the works as part of Firmware 3.0. It wont be out during the summer, but assuming all goes well, it will be out well before the holidays. Current timeframe places it around September, but it's still very much a WIP. If there are any major delays, that will slip and if there are very few delays at all, it might even arrive earlier, but don't bank on it as it is a lot more complicated than you might imagine. At this point, it's working quite well in the labs and supports several players at once.

It's targeted to work with all past and future games that support ingame XMB, much like text chat.

I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "slim" shipped with this firmware installed (that doesn't mean the slim will come first, remember).

Who said the 3000 wasn't being phased out? It will be and sooner than you realise. However, the PSP Go isn't what's replacing it. The 4000 is. And yes, it will have a UMD drive. And similar to the PS3 "slim", it's nothing to actually get excited about.

Keep a very close eye on the hard drives shipped with newer PS3's. In a few months (or possibly sooner), something strange is going to start happening.

There you have it, folks. That's it, I'm done, I'm outta here. If you have any more questions, you'll just have to wait like everyone else. This account is gone, never to be logged into again. You might see me in a few months time when I've got something even more awesome to tell you, but it wont be from this account and it probably wont even be on this site. Adios!

i always hoped that guy was right! he gave too much detail to be just a fanboy..

Yeah I'm quite sad about that, it moved on the PS2, then again on the PS3, little bit of nostalgia :p

By the way anyone remember this guy?

Source: http://forums.n4g.com/Firmware-280-Release...m659467-p5.aspx

He was spot on about the PS3! The startup screen has changed (you can see it in 1UP video).

Even the 250GB part. You just don't guess that amount of detail right, not way back in June...

Wonder what happened with voice chat in 3.0, maybe Sony just haven't told us about it yet? (it isn't due till September...).

Probably wasnt finish for 3.0

WOW he was spot on about the PS3 and I believe him about the other stuff. I'm really curious about the PSP-4000 now.

EDIT: Also what "something strange is going to start happening" to the HDD??? :huh:

WOW he was spot on about the PS3 and I believe him about the other stuff. I'm really curious about the PSP-4000 now.

Probably just a PSP shipping with internal memory like the Go, maybe only 8GB or something though as it still has UMD.

Could possibly be a bit slimmer/lighter again also.

And they'll probably add bluetooth to it as well.

Edited by Audioboxer

I almost forgot about that guy until the OtherOS stuff was mentioned earlier. I wonder if he was the same guy that sold the slim to that guy in the Philippines (or wherever it was).

He DID say the supposed "4000" was nothing to get excited about, maybe it isn't much different at all? (Possibly just cheaper to manufacture?).

Or maybe it's a red herring. If I was going to do some corporate espionage, I'd throw in a couple of made up "facts" to throw people off, just in case. But then again, I'm the paranoid type :laugh:

EDIT: Also what "something strange is going to start happening" to the HDD??? :huh:

Yeah he was on spot. :p I always hoped that he was right.

I think that it meant that HDD sizes will just keep changed every once in a while or w/e. Maybe 250GB HD for Holiday season. 320GB HD next year etc.

Yeah he was on spot. :p I always hoped that he was right.

I think that it meant that HDD sizes will just keep changed every once in a while or w/e. Maybe 250GB HD for Holiday season. 320GB HD next year etc.

Really that's been happening already, though. We've had 60GB, 40GB, 80GB and 160GB so far, not including the 120GB and (possible) 250GB, so why mention it? Sounds strange to me.

Maybe he means something is going to come on the hard drives? Like PSN games or something? Or maybe some space is going to be reserved for some reason (like a Sky+ box, if you've ever had one).

Really that's been happening already, though. We've had 60GB, 40GB, 80GB and 160GB so far, not including the 120GB and (possible) 250GB, so why mention it? Sounds strange to me.

Maybe he means something is going to come on the hard drives? Like PSN games or something? Or maybe some space is going to be reserved for some reason (like a Sky+ box, if you've ever had one).

But that's not really strange. :/ Ugh, there is not a lot of strange things you can do with HD's. :p

But that's not really strange. :/ Ugh, there is not a lot of strange things you can do with HD's. :p

hehe yeah I was thinking the same.

Now we have to wait and see where he is going to post the next leak. :p

Reason #1 not to get a slim

I'm looking forward to this. I have been waiting to be rewarded for my patience and now I have. Hopefully will get this for X-Mas if I can't get it sooner.

Reason #1 not to get a slim

Let's wait for problem reports before jumping to conclusions :p

cons for the slim:

its square lol

matt looks of a cheap texture (with a shiny control pad that doesnt match)

cheap click buttons for power and eject buttons

fewer usb ports i think, no card readers

rumoured cheaper discdrive

Pro's:

internal power unit

less energy consumption

bigger hardrive

personally, the pros and cons makes both the fatty and the slim unit equal (gotta wait to see how the cheaper discdrive is, hopefully more reliable)

cant go wrong with either one. but at ?250 its still not worth it for me

With all the usual problems with new tech, I'd say people should buy the cheapified larger PS3 version because it has more reliability due to being in production longer etc.

hey u forgot the 20 gig model lol

a lot of games have mandatory installs. if u have a 40 gig hardrive then chances are u may already struggling for hardrive space... now consider the fact that this generation has a minuimum of 4yrs left, it could be a issue for all 40 gig ps3 owners (r.i.p to the 20 gig hardrives, early adopters lost)

Edited by g~man

hey u forgot the 20 gig model lol

a lot of games have mandatory installs. if u have a 40 gig hardrive then chances are u may already struggling for hardrive space... now consider the fact that this generation has a minuimum of 4yrs left, it could be a issue for all 40 gig ps3 owners (r.i.p to the 20 gig hardrives, early adopters lost)

All you need to do is update your hard drive, it really doesn't matter what base model you buy and chances are if Sony offer a 250GB PS3 it'll be somewhat inflated over the 120GB to the point where you're better off buying a 120GB and upgrading the hard drive yourself. They might chuck in a PSN coupon/game with a 250GB model but if it's anything like the 160GB PS3 just now which comes with Uncharted, but is $100 more than an 80GB, you're better buying the cheapest and getting a new drive when you need it.

You can probably get a 320/500GB hard drive for $40-60.

cons for the slim:

its square lol

Pro's:

internal power unit

less energy consumption

bigger hardrive

personally, the pros and cons makes both the fatty and the slim unit equal (gotta wait to see how the cheaper discdrive is, hopefully more reliable)

The xbox360 Elite does'nt look cheap even though it probably will be the same material. I think its the "boxy" design that some have already mentioned that gives it the cheap feel.

cons for the slim:

its square lol

Pro's:

internal power unit

less energy consumption

bigger hardrive

doesnt the original PS3 also have an internet power supply?

Also - is the slim going to completely replace the original PS3?

doesnt the original PS3 also have an internet power supply?

Also - is the slim going to completely replace the original PS3?

I think he's just saying it's a pro because the console itself is smaller yet they've still managed to keep an internal power supply, and to answer your questions, yes and yes.

The old PS3 will sell till it's dried out at retail then it's gone. Probably only be a few more weeks/a month at the $299 price tag, stock of it is already pretty bare in some places due to the retailers own deals from the past few weeks.

I don't suppose you have a 1680x1050 (or 1920x1080) version of that new PS3 wallpaper do you, AB?

What one?