What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

I hate some of the icons and the way you get around windows to change settings and stuff like...the system tray icons for audio & network...XP ones looked much better and double clicking on the XP network system tray icon bring up the connection status in 7 you have to click the icon then click this then a window and click that...its just longer to get too.

?but other then that I'm still liking 7.

Inconsistencies throughout the UI, implement ribbon throughout or not at all.

The ribbon is only intended for certain specific uses. It is not a general replacement for toolbars, and the user interface guidelines that describe this are easily available. There are plenty of inconsistencies in Windows, but that isn't one of them.

Backup and Restore is retarded, as it insists on doing a full backup, rather than an incremental one. And I'm not a big fan of how MS decided to put the files in VHD's.

Of all the things they could've ripped of from Apple, Time Machine is one of them. It's vastly superior for the home user.

Additionally, I have an annoying problem with audio and sleep; close the lid on my laptop, let it go to sleep, and when I wake it, audio is completely gone (no audio device installed) and nothing in Device Manager. Only a restart will restore audio, and I've tried the latest drivers and everything.

Backup and Restore is retarded, as it insists on doing a full backup, rather than an incremental one.

Are you backing up to your network or local drive or removable drive? Incremental backups CAN be done after 1 full backup on local and removable disks. On the network, incremental backup isn't possible.

And I'm not a big fan of how MS decided to put the files in VHD's.

Advantage of VHDs is you can mount it OR boot from it if you have Ultimate.

Of all the things they could've ripped of from Apple, Time Machine is one of them.

Does Time Machine allow restoring to different hardware with a different motherboard/disk controller? That is one killer feature of Windows Backup. Time Machine also doesn't use shadow copy or similar technology which saves a hell lot of space when doing incremental backups.

Cannot get rid of the Low Wireless Battery Notice for Mouse.

The option is there under the keyboard to not alert you, but not under mouse or maybe I missed it.

My mouse batteries are not even low, screwy thing I just charged them.

Err... Windows doesn't have that. There's a bug in Logitech's SetPoint software that does cause that. :) It comes up on my machine but doesn't clear until I've rebooted when I change the mouse batteries.

Backup and Restore is retarded, as it insists on doing a full backup, rather than an incremental one. And I'm not a big fan of how MS decided to put the files in VHD's.

Of all the things they could've ripped of from Apple, Time Machine is one of them. It's vastly superior for the home user.

Additionally, I have an annoying problem with audio and sleep; close the lid on my laptop, let it go to sleep, and when I wake it, audio is completely gone (no audio device installed) and nothing in Device Manager. Only a restart will restore audio, and I've tried the latest drivers and everything.

What audio solution are you using? There are horrendous power management problems with Creative Labs, but I've never had any problems with my generic Sigmatel HD audio.

Are you backing up to your network or local drive or removable drive? Incremental backups CAN be done after 1 full backup on local and removable disks. On the network, incremental backup isn't possible.

Advantage of VHDs is you can mount it OR boot from it if you have Ultimate.

Does Time Machine allow restoring to different hardware with a different motherboard/disk controller? That is one killer feature of Windows Backup. Time Machine also doesn't use shadow copy or similar technology which saves a hell lot of space when doing incremental backups.

I'm backing up to a 1.5 TB external drive, and I don't use Ultimate, nor do I have a particular need for that feature, I mean I can restore a partition from the recovery console too.

And yes, TM works between different Macs, and it can be used to restore one setup from one Mac, and then onto a new one.

Time Machine can restore Mac OS X all installed with apps onto a new Mac? Or just backed up data?

There's nothing I hate about W7 itself (except maybe the Registry, but that applies to all Windows releases) just the way MS markets it. In my opinion, MS should take a hint from Apple and do away with all these different versions and incorporate all the features of Ultimate into one single edition, "Windows 7", and sell it for $129. Apple's "one size fits all" strategy makes the most sense. Instead of "Oh, I'll just get this version, I'm not buying that version because it has all this stuff I'm never going to use", it could be "I'm buying this single version and I'll have all the features I need now, plus more that I may need in the future." All Macs ship with "OS X Ultimate", would it really kill MS to stop tailoring everything to death and just release a single version? I think it'd be great.

There's nothing I hate about W7 itself (except maybe the Registry, but that applies to all Windows releases) just the way MS markets it. In my opinion, MS should take a hint from Apple and do away with all these different versions and incorporate all the features of Ultimate into one single edition, "Windows 7", and sell it for $129. Apple's "one size fits all" strategy makes the most sense. Instead of "Oh, I'll just get this version, I'm not buying that version because it has all this stuff I'm never going to use", it could be "I'm buying this single version and I'll have all the features I need now, plus more that I may need in the future." All Macs ship with "OS X Ultimate", would it really kill MS to stop tailoring everything to death and just release a single version? I think it'd be great.

Yeah, but you have to remember that the cost of OSX, is subsidized by the higher cost of the HW.

Personally, I would rather see MS get rid of Ultimate, as it offers very little over Professional, which now offers everything that Home Premium has to offer, like Windows Media Center.

Flickering desktop icons.

Makes you think you are using XP. I bet Microsoft will fix it quickly.

That kind of thing (flickering) makes me think that you may have a buggy video card driver. I haven't had any sort of flickering desktop icons, for example, and I haven't heard of others having that sort of issue. =\

Can't say I absolutely hate anything about Windows 7 but there are some things I don't like:

1. Can't snap windows to right edge (left monitor) or left edge (right monitor) with extended desktop.

2. Taskbar should be able to extend to multiple monitors without 3rd party app.

There are a few little annoyances that make me just think "why?". For example, I was dragging some files over to my FTP earlier and it had to replace some with the same filename. It came up with the box saying this with the options Yes/Always Yes/No/Cancel (or whatever they are) and then it bought up another box directly on top of this box that just had the progress of the file's upload...which had obviously stalled at 0% because it was waiting for my input. Why on earth does that box need to appear directly on top of the one that needs to have focus?

I've had a couple of other focus-related issues too. Occasionally UAC will stop something installing or whatever and instead of the popup appearing above everything for me to tell it that it's OK to let the program continue, it sits in the superbar blinking away - like I'm going to notice that.

Also, why does live messenger have 2 tiles in it's hover-over thing in the superbar? One is my contact list (fair enough) and the other is my display picture. All that seems to do is open up my contact list. Seems kind of redundant to be honest.

Heh, I could only think of one gripe when I started writing this post x)