What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

My only real complaint is the way Messenger integrates with the SuperBar and the lack of a tray icon, but I'm guessing that will get resolved in an update. I have to say I had mixed feelings during the BETAs and RCs, but I'm liking RTM a lot.

Yeah run it in XP mode to banish it to the system trey

Meh, I don't hate the new situation that much, It's imperfect but outside of some stuff I do from a VM to log in to work (with our horrid VPN Client from Nortel), I have no need or desire to go XP no a regular basis. Time to let that sleeping dog lie.

The fact that they haven't fixed the "The device is in use" message you get when you remove an external drive using the safely remove hardware-button. Yes, I know I can use Process Explorer to see which process is locking my external drive, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Meh, I don't hate the new situation that much, It's imperfect but outside of some stuff I do from a VM to log in to work (with our horrid VPN Client from Nortel), I have no need or desire to go XP no a regular basis. Time to let that sleeping dog lie.

I think they meant run Messenger in Windows Vista or Windows XP compatibility mode, which makes Messenger minimize to the system tray vs. the new superbar functionality.

The one thing I hate of all is that to add a network share to a Library requires an offline sync. I don't need my Terabytes of movies and music on my Desktop (besides it won't fit), when I have it all on my server. I don't take my desktop away from my network so I never need access to them while offline.

And before people tell me about the workaround, I already do the Linked Directory workaround. But why should I have had to do a workaround already, should have had the ability built in.

The one thing I hate of all is that to add a network share to a Library requires an offline sync.

If you are adding pictures, music or videos, you can add network locations in Media Center and then they show up in libraries. Dunno about other data.

Pricing in Europe, MS seems to think the Dollar and the Euro are equivalent, so we are overcharged by 40%

How is it more expensive?

I paid ?80 for full E version pro and ?39 (including delivery and disk cost) for windows 7 upgrade pro.

I think it's the sale of the century.

I think they meant run Messenger in Windows Vista or Windows XP compatibility mode, which makes Messenger minimize to the system tray vs. the new superbar functionality.

Yea, I got that, but I try to reserve compatability mode for real issues, not just stuff I don't care for. I know it doesn't harm anything, just me being OCDish. I still think they'll fix it since pretty much no one seems to care for the current method of dealing with open Messenger sessions (waits for some one to say this is great and should have always worked like this :D )

No .pls support in WMP11 or Zune player... That's about it for me I'm really loving it. :)
If you're really a fan of PLS, it would be ... helpful to have some good documentation of that desire by the multitude for the format. My friend and I are are fans, but PLS in some ways seems to be forgotten by the masses at large, and the general prevalence level is sadly low.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like how they've made XP mode require processors with virtualization when they could have made it not require it, no other VM vendors does processor support for regular machine virtualization.

We all brag about it... so, can you, please, answer? :rofl:

How could you hate an operathing system that is like XP on steroids.

I have had 5 b.s.o.d. so far, which I had 1 with Vista HP and 2 with XP Pro.

I hope to have sorted it out as I do believe it was my virtual memory set too high that was the problem.

I've noticed that Windows Media Player seems to show the wrong thumbnails for albums that don't have their own. If you readjust the column with the album thumbnail, it disappears for a while, but if you scroll down a ways, you see other repeated album covers again for albums that have no artwork. This wasn't an issue in Vista with WMP11, but now in 12, it is. Here's an example: These are singles from The Charlatans that don't have their own album art, so WMP plops these in from a Cardigans album further up the line:

post-427-1256971280_thumb.png

WMP12, the Now Playing mode is stupid. Not only does it look completely detached from the design of the rest of the application, it's annoying to have to change views just so I can browse my library.

Also, stop adding god damn artwork as hidden system files to my folders like all your predecessors. Yes I've turned off the option to automatically retreive information for media, but it still does it when the file has embedded artwork but there is no folder.jpg present. This is annoying because all my single tracks are located in one folder, so if one of these have embedded artwork it will automatically generate a folder image from that track. Which means all my single tracks will show up in WMP with the same cover art, because its reading the stupid auto generated folder.jpg.

Which leads me to my next complaint, if WMP insists on having a folder.jpg present, why doesn't Artist view in the music library support these images? I assume Microsoft wants to streamline WMP into Explorer as much as possible regarding media, so some consistency would be nice!

Also, stop adding god damn artwork as hidden system files to my folders like all your predecessors. Yes I've turned off the option to automatically retreive information for media, but it still does it when the file has embedded artwork but there is no folder.jpg present. This is annoying because all my single tracks are located in one folder, so if one of these have embedded artwork it will automatically generate a folder image from that track. Which means all my single tracks will show up in WMP with the same cover art, because its reading the stupid auto generated folder.jpg.

Ah, I didn't realize it was still doing that!! I use my trusty MP3Tag for embedding albumart into the MP3 files (that's what it does, right?) and if you select a MP3 audio file from Explorer, it shows it in the Details pane below. So, why doesn't WMP just use that for all? I thought Media Player did that if you manually 'Paste Album art' in the Library view on top of a blank cover. Am I wrong about that too? It would be nice if there was one simple consistent way of handling it.

The lack of integration with Windows Live Photo Gallery. the default image viewer loads images much faster than Live Photo Gallery, however it doesn't have any of the fixing or publishing options like the Live version does.

I bought Windows 7 Pro for my netbook, I love it because it is so much faster on my HP 2133 than XP. But I run Vista on my main PC because it can handle it fine. I don't see much difference between windows 7 and windows vista, and I think people are wrong to give Vista a bad name, I actually prefer like the taskbar in Vista more to 7 etc. There are some nice things in 7 but I don't think it should have as much praise as it did, Vista is still better in my books. But I think 7 will mature over time.

Only one thing I hate about it so far: The fact that I bought 4 upgrade licenses and I'm only getting use out of one of them because Windows 7 has some retarded USB bug with external storage devices causing the data transfer to freeze and the cpu to go 100% until forced shutdown. I can understand a new OS having glitches, but people supposedly reported this problem during Beta testing and it was never fixed. Guess I have to sit here with my thumb up my rear until MS decides its a real issue and deal with it. And before someone posts that their system is working fine with USB, it doesn't affect everyone.

Random errors with random software are quite annoying and all appeared with RTM for me. Tried reinstalling thousands of times, both x86 and x64 have the same problems (like Messenger crashing on launch 90% of the time, audio stuttering, ..)

Not a Single App Crashed on me at all including messenger. You must have issues with your hardware or you may not.