What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

I don't really have any complaints with Windows 7 itself, just WMP has some issues which were mentioned above.

I love Win7.

I hate Windows Live Messenger on Windows 7. I have the RTM and I downloaded the latest version of WLM and it's terrible.

The settings in the options menu with regards to whether or not it loads every time Windows loads seem to have no effect. It appears on the taskbar as a full program but then doesn't open when you click on it until after like 5 clicks. There seems to be no way to get it back on the system tray where it belongs without messing around with compatibility options.

It's driving me mad. Microsoft fix this POS already or it's getting uninstalled!

- That it isn't free for people who bought Vista prior to the free upgrade deal.

-These features should have been in Vista.

- HomeGroup should be available to XP users (which the majority of computer illiterate people still use around the world). Also to Vista users.

- I like the new taskbar, but I am not the type of user it was targetted for (people who have tons of windows open), so I wish I had the option for classic taskbar.

- That they reduced how much RAM superfetch uses from how it behaved in Vista. They should have made the OS detect if the PC has less than 2GB of RAM then superfetch should use less RAM like in Win7, but if a PC has more than 2GB, I preferred the Vista superfetch.

I hate Windows Live Messenger on Windows 7. I have the RTM and I downloaded the latest version of WLM and it's terrible.

The settings in the options menu with regards to whether or not it loads every time Windows loads seem to have no effect. It appears on the taskbar as a full program but then doesn't open when you click on it until after like 5 clicks. There seems to be no way to get it back on the system tray where it belongs without messing around with compatibility options.

It's driving me mad. Microsoft fix this POS already or it's getting uninstalled!

Is it really that difficult to right click the WLM's EXE and set it to run as Vista or XP? Set it one time and forget about it. Runs perfectly in the system tray as "normal". (be sure to click the button to change the setting for all users too!)

I don't like how in the libraries, once you change the view, it changes your view for any subfolder in the library, or vice versa. It's annoying enough that I try to avoid navigating libraries often

Yea, I got that, but I try to reserve compatability mode for real issues, not just stuff I don't care for. I know it doesn't harm anything, just me being OCDish. I still think they'll fix it since pretty much no one seems to care for the current method of dealing with open Messenger sessions (waits for some one to say this is great and should have always worked like this :D )

I don't like the way messenger works with the superbar in Windows 7 either, I run it in Vista mode to get it to work the way it did before

I'm really disliking WMP12.

In Vista/WMP11, I would set my entire library playing by (in library view) right clicking the Music > Songs option, and selecting "Play". Now if I want to do that I have to click the Music option on the breadcrumb bar, right click "All Music" and press play....so inefficient and counter-intuitive.

I also hate that I can no longer mouse over the old toolbar to see what the current song is....I mean god, they could at least have added that functionality to the jump-list preview! The only way I'm tolerating WMP12 is a desktop "Now Playing" Gadget, combined with Aero Peek.

My other major gripe is in explorer itself, the removal of the column names for quick sorting. I like to sort by modified, and loved been able to just use left click to change between ascending/descending.

My last problem is more of a problem with 64 bit than Windows 7 itself, and that is that my bluetooth dongle doesn't appear to have working 64 bit drivers. Disappointing, but I can't really blame MS for that I guess.

Vista with SP3 was superfast and battery efficient, but win7 on my relatively new laptop (less then one year) is so slow (nvidia geforce is not working with flash hardware acceleration for example) and I have battery error which is not the case in Vista ... It says "Consider Replacing Your Battery". I installed Vista once again, and there is no problem in Vista. Battery on my 17" laptop can last for 2h, but in win7 it`s about 10-15. Guess Im going back to Vista till win7 SP1 or more.

Oh wow... I've been running 7 for a few months and ENTIRELY forgot about WMP. Just opened it and went through the setup wizard now.. looks interesting! Hahaha... WMP.

Lots of users (including me) don't like WMP 12 very much. I hate constantly switching between Now Playing and library view bcoz the buttons are far apart (one at the top, one at the bottom). Why can't they be in the exact same place? WMP 12 broke compatibility with quite a lot of of my WMP9/10/11 era plugins. :crazy: I've sequenced WMP 11 on my XP using App-V and then replaced it with WMP 11 files from Vista (which are UAC compatible).

In Vista/WMP11, I would set my entire library playing by (in library view) right clicking the Music > Songs option, and selecting "Play". Now if I want to do that I have to click the Music option on the breadcrumb bar, right click "All Music" and press play....so inefficient and counter-intuitive.

I also hate that I can no longer mouse over the old toolbar to see what the current song is....I mean god, they could at least have added that functionality to the jump-list preview! The only way I'm tolerating WMP12 is a desktop "Now Playing" Gadget, combined with Aero Peek.

Can't you open the jump list for WMP and select "Play All Music" under "Tasks"? Seems to be a lot simpler for getting WMP to play your entire library.

Also to find the current song, you can always hover over the WMP icon on your taskbar and wait a half second or so and the song name will appear above the (Aero Peek) thumbnail.

So far there is nothing I hate. I really think that "Libraries" are a great way to organize my files.

:huh: Sure, if you are willing to organize all your content in only one way. I have multiple content folders organized by location, date, event, etc. This is impossible with the retarded Libraries! To me Libraries is much like Google's Picasa as far as organizing media files.

Pluck everything in one place and apply one organization format to it. :wacko:

I cannot believe MS could not have left users the ability to reorganize as we see fit. Windows already HAD the ability to remember folder preferences!

I hated how I had to install it through a bootable USB thumb drive made from the retail disk. Theres a problem with a certain CD/DVD controller, it asks you for this during install and the way to avoid that is avoid the DVD and boot from the USB flash drive. But its installed now, Ultimate 64-bit, and so far this is the best OS Ive ever used. This thing feels light as hell kinda 98se-ish.

Pressing "Backspace" in Win Explorer doesn't move up a dir, instead it goes backwards in history. First time, it confused the hell out of me.

..........................errr

Hasn't backspace always been Back rather than Up?

I don't absolutely hate anything about 7 but..

I don't like Aero - but I'm using the classic theme, with reduced visual effects.

Also I do think that the 2D GUI is much slower than that of XP, even with the classic desktop used.

really? Maybe its because Im on the 64bit version, but this is the most responsive GUI I've ever used even with everything turned on. Im pretty blown away by it.

Cannot get rid of the Low Wireless Battery Notice for Mouse.

The option is there under the keyboard to not alert you, but not under mouse or maybe I missed it.

My mouse batteries are not even low, screwy thing I just charged them.

Whilst I'm not sure of the validity of the above, including the youtube video, I do find the 2D GUI much less responsive.

The MMC example isn't really valid, as it's a design flaw in MMC (which hasn't been updated in forever.) The other part about benchmarks being somewhat slower is true, but the reality is that Windows essentially has to emulate the behavior of the old GDI model on top of Direct3D. I suspect that this is never going to be as fast as it was in XP and older. Hopefully with Windows 8 or 9 we'll also see a D3D-based GUI framework to go with it.

Having said that, I don't find it any slower in day to day use (although I can see this being subjective, and depending on what you're running), and artificial benchmarks aren't necessarily that relevant to real world use.

I too am on the 64bit version of W 7 with 4GB of DDR2 memory and a E8500 running at 4Ghz. However I do find that the 2D GUI is noticeably slower for me than XP...

Rendering of 2D GUI in W7 against Windows XP

Whilst I'm not sure of the validity of the above, including the youtube video, I do find the 2D GUI much less responsive.

Whoops, I just realized you guys were talking the 2d GUI. I havent checked that out yet.