• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

Pharos    24
The thing I miss most (not really a hate) is how in vista when you maximized a window the titlebar and taskbar would go opaque (while if it wasn't maximized it would be translucent)

In 7 they don't. You can get a theme that makes the title bar opaque but not the taskbar =(

That was one of the most hated features in Vista. Microsoft listened to a LOT of feedback this time around and that's why they removed it. So it's impossible to please everyone :(

hdood    145
Who boots these days? I make it sleep most of the time, unless I've been working in PS with big files.

People with laptops...?

Harreh    9
People with laptops...?

Hibernate.

It's way faster than a full system start up.

Mr. Gibs    3,865
That was one of the most hated features in Vista. Microsoft listened to a LOT of feedback this time around and that's why they removed it. So it's impossible to please everyone :(

I really don't get why people hate it =(

kiwi89    0

I think they need to make something like expose. In mac OS I am just so used to being able to press F3 to see all the unminimized windows and then being able to switch between them... it would have been great if we could have gotten something like that windows 7.

edit to add: I just found this neat little prog for adding something like expose to windows http://insentient.net/

Mr. Gibs    3,865
I think they need to make something like expose. In mac OS I am just so used to being able to press F3 to see all the unminimized windows and then being able to switch between them... it would have been great if we could have gotten something like that windows 7.

edit to add: I just found this neat little prog for adding something like expose to windows http://insentient.net/

Alt-tab, flip 3d =/

Sure it doesn't look like expose, but it does exactly the same thing lol

alisalem    17
Uh... did I understand that right?

Are you saying that a Windows 7 feature didn't work right in Vista? How is that a Windows 7 problem?

My first question would be how was group sharing working for you while you were still in Windows 7?

I didn't use that feature in Windows 7 but for some reason it sets a sort of special permissions to the partitions.

When I went back to Vista, I found out that some programs couldn't write to the D and E drives because they were locked by those leftover partitions from 7. It took me an hour to sort it out by reassigning my user account to those partitions.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    938

It's really possible to please everyone by including it as an option/setting or configurable thru the registry at least if it's going to clutter the UI. They did just that till XP instead of throwing away features. Now they really want to please only some people.

Preppy    33
What about a "Remove Windows Features" utility? Since vLite removes them not simply "turn off".
Define the difference in your opinion? (I figure you're well aware that TWFOO isn't just Show/Hide in Win7 as it was for WMP in Vista, but -- I wanted to be sure that I was correctly interpreting your comment as indicating "I want to recover that ~50MB of disk space" or whatnot. :) )

Hard drive space is cheaper than being on a boat and then realizing you need to have your OS install DVD in order to recover the feature you need. The "boat" example is the best example, but -- it seems like it has been well established over time that people may not keep close track of their OS install media, so truncating off portions of the system seems counterproductive to net happiness.

You specifically might want to do your own thing. That's probably a bad plan for other people, but for you - it seems like you have enabled yourself to do that, and the OS doesn't need to cater to you as the expense of working on other more generally useful functionality.

Also vLite can still remove a lot more components than listed under "Turn Windows Features On or Off".
Yep, I see bug reports here and there about vLite breaking/compromising the componentized Windows install. The precise point I'm making with that comment is that each little checkbox / component removal is associated with "N" hours more testing/churn, which takes time away from doing other more productive things.

It seems like you have interesting ideas, but there are probably things of much higher benefit to the average user than those options. :)

MagicAndre1981    5

Zach, the point is that the average user, like 99% of the users here, don't understand the servicing in Vista / 7. They don't know about hardlinks or what the WinSxS is. They think, when I remove something it must be gone. If you use a small SSD, the hdd space is an issue. The servicing stack install tons of unused files and this can be an issue especially when Sp1 is out.

@i_was_here

Join the Windows Embedded 2011 Beta. This version lets you the choice to build you own OS, with the features YOU want.

Mamoun    51
I have a lot of trouble with the control panel. Changing a simple setting requires me to read through many screens to try to figure out where it is hidden away in 7, in comparison to XP.

That's kinda true but I found that whatever control panel option/dialog I search for in the start menu windows 7 finds it, it's really great that I'm sure you will dump the main control panel screen after a while of using the quick search.

thealexweb    204

1) I'm used to Vista, solid as a rock. I come to 7 it's one hell of a clunker of an OS: - slow, buggy and overall dreadful.

2) The insane preview pane, it moves position every time I open and close windows explorer.

3) I am skeptical about the superbar, can it really safe you time, in my view no it can't.

Preppy    33
Zach, the point is that the average user, like 99% of the users here, don't understand the servicing in Vista / 7. They don't know about hardlinks or what the WinSxS is. They think, when I remove something it must be gone. If you use a small SSD, the hdd space is an issue. The servicing stack install tons of unused files and this can be an issue especially when Sp1 is out.
You're kind of making my point here by suggesting that user confusion should be a topic of primary concern. :)

Are you referring to Vista or Windows 7 as regards to "unused files"? I suspect you're referring to your Vista experiences.

This tangent probably doesn't need to derail this thread. Assume that you've established a baseline image size, and that people who feel the need to save 30MB by tearing apart that image probably best serve the user community by taking that matter into their own hands as opposed to going down some path that the sample user does not reallllllly understand (which was also your point, so we're both in agreement here) and then finding themselves broken when they try to undo what they've done.

"30MB" or "'N' MB" is just a quick example - if you're not making substantial changes, you're not saving much... - but if you are making substantial changes than you've just run flat into the "new SKU == much more testing" point I made. This is a great and interesting area, and the best possible choices are generally made. The servicing stack is *not* the place to be idly tinkering around catering to the super power user who we both know very well can take matters into their own hands if they really need to bork their system. :)

There are way better places to spend people's time/effort. :)

MagicAndre1981    5

here is the example for Vista (which applies to Win7 too, because my reports during Beta-Test were closed with "by design")

the point is that the ST installs RTM files even if you are make Sp1 permanent, so that you are not able to uninstall Sp1 and go back to RTM. But if you install an update (like IE7 security update), the ST will install the 6000 (RTM) files (GDR and LDR version of the updated file) to WinSxS. But those packages and files are NEVER used again. They make WinSxS grow and this is what people don't understand. I've reported this for Vista and Win7 several times, but no answer. We will see the huge number of posts next year when Win7 Sp1 will be out. Te same thing will happen again that we see with Vista.

1. People don't understand why they can't slipstream Sp1, 2. the see a WinSxS which is grown by several GB.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    938

And MS recommended solution to keep WinSxS size in check is to reduce less updates (except for the security ones, only the ones that affect u). WTF MS?

Dashel    542
Window management compare to Linux or OS X is incredibly bad, Windows needs something like spaces and expose.

Hardly, in fact you have it just the opposite. Its the lack of good window management that necessitated fixes like spaces or expose.

MagicAndre1981    5
And MS recommended solution to keep WinSxS size in check is to reduce less updates (except for the security ones, only the ones that affect u). WTF MS?

MS doesn't thought about this when designing the servicing of Updates, Features, MUI packages or the removal tool was added much later in the development process so that there was no time to change it.

let me explain it shortly.

When you run RTM and install updates which apply for RTM+Sp1 the Sp1 files are stored inside the WinSxS folder but are currently not used. When you now install the Sp1, the servicing engine would detect that you have an update installed which patches some files for Sp1 and so the new files from the update are used and linked to the destination folder. So now you are on Sp1. When you now install new updates the installer from the updates install the RTM files and the Sp1 files from the update. This is ok, because when you go back to RTM, by uninstalling the SP1, the servicing would detect that you have installed new updates which also updated files for RTM and would use them. This is great. A XP ServicePack installer overrides any updates installed and you have to reinstall them again.

But now the "bug" or "by design - called from MS" comes. When you run the cleanup tools which were provided in Vista Sp1 and Sp2 YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UNINSTALL THE SP. When you now get new updates, the installer still installs the RTM files even when you are on SP1 and ran the cleanup tool. So the WinSxS folder grows with each update becasue the useless RTM files are stored there, but they will be never used again.

Lok at thecummulative IE updates for IE7. The include 2version of each updated file for Vista RTM, Vista Sp1 and Vista Sp2. When you are on Sp2 and used the cleanup tool, you can NEVER go back to RTM or Vista Sp1 but the installer installs the RTM and Sp1 files. And this is completely bad. Imagine you're on a "Vista Sp4" and the installer installs 2 RTM, 2Sp1, 2SP2, 2Sp3 files for each updated files and you'll never need them. This is something that should be fixed for Vista and Win7, to keep the WinSxS folder as small as possible.

I've reported this on connect for Vista Sp2 and Win7, but both feedback items where closed without a real answer or solution.

Neoauld    10
1) I'm used to Vista, solid as a rock. I come to 7 it's one hell of a clunker of an OS: - slow, buggy and overall dreadful.

2) The insane preview pane, it moves position every time I open and close windows explorer.

3) I am skeptical about the superbar, can it really safe you time, in my view no it can't.

i feel the same on points 1 and 3. My vista is tweaked and 100% stable, theres been a few quirks, but what OS doesnt have that

When i ran W7, it felt slower, maybe cause it wasnt tweaked to the extend vista was, so i cant really compare, and most benchmarks show W7 only slightly faster in gaming

as for hte superbar, im really annoyed with it

it takes 2x as many clicks to find open apps now

also noted, ive seen that aero stutter when opening/closing apps on my laptop and desktop, my systems a quad core with 8 gigs of ram, there should be no lag, but if its a driver issue well see

Aaron Olive    144

the theme engine is even more screwed.

Deathknight74    0

I have only 2 thing that i hate in win7. The first one is control panel layout which makes finding certain settings a royal pain in the ass but its not a big problem as windows search makes life extremely easy. The second and the most annoying is the show desktop icon. When I type I usually throw my pointer to bottom right which in win7 case shows me my desktop. Its really annoying. I see absolutely no use for it. Thanx God you can turn it off.

Other than these two I'm Loving it!

Edited by Deathknight74

Mr. Gibs    3,865
I have only 2 thing that i hate in win7. The first one is control panel layout which makes finding certain settings a royal pain in the ass but its not a big problem as windows search makes life extremely easy. The second and the most annoying is the show desktop icon. When I type I usually throw my pointer to bottom right which in win7 case shows me my desktop. Its really annoying. I see absolutely no use for it. Thanx God you can turn it off.

Other than these two I'm Loving it!

If you click the arrow next to "control panel" in the address bar you can select the "all control panel items" option.

Malisk    142
Hardly, in fact you have it just the opposite. Its the lack of good window management that necessitated fixes like spaces or expose.

Hehe, I disagree here. Expos? was welcome when I started using Mac more at home, and the window management isn't really different. You get window clutter on both Windows and Mac. BUT... Windows 7 has introduced many new window management features especially with the superbar and shortcut keys. Again, I don't agree that this is due to bad window management, but improving on bad window management. An important difference.

SyntheticVirusZ    50

No .pls support in WMP11 or Zune player... That's about it for me I'm really loving it. :)

bob_c_b    13
Hehe, I disagree here. Expos? was welcome when I started using Mac more at home, and the window management isn't really different. You get window clutter on both Windows and Mac. BUT... Windows 7 has introduced many new window management features especially with the superbar and shortcut keys. Again, I don't agree that this is due to bad window management, but improving on bad window management. An important difference.

I think the window managementon OS X has pretty much stopped making any improvement since expose', and I have to say I prefer AeroPeak and SuperBar as overall better solutions, althogh I would not have said that a couple weeks ago.