Suggest Me A Car Under $4K

If this is true, then that is why the good Lord created the aftermarket, scrapyards and the internet. Thy Lord and his faithful prophet of Henry Ford and his system of standardized parts has provided for thee. Halle-fricken-lujah

Yeh to be honest they ain't that mechanically minded. One did buy a reconditioned trans but that one died after a year just outa warranty

I know what ya mean by wreckers etc but I they ain't the sorta ppl to locate parts and install themselves

I believe they were ripped off majorly

modified = stay away. you don't know what dumb ass did. he probably tried racing it, meaning it is beat to crap (this would explain the leaky seal).

modified = stay away. you don't know what dumb ass did. he probably tried racing it, meaning it is beat to crap (this would explain the leaky seal).

No doubt.

If you see any leaks on any use car I would suggest staying away. Small leaks turn into big leaks and that cost money.

I would find it hard to trust a leaking transmission. Even after the leak is fixed I worry damage was done while it was possibly ran low on oil. Plenty of cars out there. I would keep looking or at least make a much lower offer.

The intake modification also throws up a bit of a flag as well. That one does not look too poorly done though. Actual hose clamps that are close to the correct size and placed so as to be accessible is a good sign for instance.

I would find it hard to trust a leaking transmission. Even after the leak is fixed I worry damage was done while it was possibly ran low on oil. Plenty of cars out there. I would keep looking or at least make a much lower offer.

The intake modification also throws up a bit of a flag as well. That one does not look too poorly done though. Actual hose clamps that are close to the correct size and placed so as to be accessible is a good sign for instance.

It is hard to mess up a kit. The issue isnt the quality of the kit, the issue is why did he do it in the first place. To gain that .5 hp to the wheels. With the money these dumb asses put into ridiculous parts they could just get a nitrous kit and add some hp they can feel. But I digress. He put it on because he wanted more power (obviously not for engine dress up, that engine compartment looks pretty ugly, and I would think if he was going for looks he would have left the engine cover on it) which would mean beating the living crap out of that poor car.

It is hard to mess up a kit. The issue isnt the quality of the kit, the issue is why did he do it in the first place. To gain that .5 hp to the wheels. With the money these dumb asses put into ridiculous parts they could just get a nitrous kit and add some hp they can feel. But I digress. He put it on because he wanted more power (obviously not for engine dress up, that engine compartment looks pretty ugly, and I would think if he was going for looks he would have left the engine cover on it) which would mean beating the living crap out of that poor car.

Ohh I agree. I just have seen some real abortions done even with what started out as a quality kit. It is still a red flag just not as bad as the coffee cans with zip tied garden hose I have seen in the past.

Alright, I decided against buying the car. :/ After what you guys said I wouldn't trust it either. I will continue looking, but Altimas (post 2002) and Maxima's (post 2000) are good?

Yes maxima is the nissan flag ship car they better be good. If they weren't nissan would be associated with crap. The altima is/was for those that can't afford the max. Good cars but don't have the lux the max has.

The owner that gave him the car also modified the air intake.

again these silly people with the aftermarket cold air intake on a stock engine lol... Get something entirely stock if what you want is a reliable daily driver car.

again these silly people with the aftermarket cold air intake on a stock engine lol... Get something entirely stock if what you want is a reliable daily driver car.

wow a honduh driver actually agrees that this is a stupid mod...there is hope for you.

I really need a car for school and for work due to the fact that my current one (1993 Toyota Pickup) needs repairs and instead of putting money to repair it I would rather put it towards a newer and better car. What do you suggest for under $4K in the USA? I need a car that can get places and can go at least 65-75 miles an hour on the HWY and maybe newer than 1997.

I have been looking at cars on Craigslist, the only one that has caught my attention is a 2001-2002 Toyota Solara, but those are going for around $3.5K+. Are Toyota Solara's good, namely the 2001-2002 ones?

If you can suggest me a car I would really appreciate it. :)

if you are willing, get a bike, a 250 ninja will cost 4k new and that bike holds its resale value well.

if you are willing, get a bike, a 250 ninja will cost 4k new and that bike holds its resale value well.

Can't, my parents would freak out if I ride one and I don't know how to ride one. :p

I went to see a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 today and I got it down to $4,200. Worth it? Are they good reliable cars? This compared with an 2002+ Alitma or 2000+ Maxima, which would be the best bang for the buck?

What about VW Passat's? They any good?

wow a honduh driver actually agrees that this is a stupid mod...there is hope for you.

I know what I like :p Rice and modifying a FWD daily driver isn't one of them. My Civic's a very reliable and fun little car for what it is. That's it. It's not fast, it's not a sports car and it can't beat vipers even if I dropped $4000 on a b18c engine that would barely double my horsepower. Seriously, you can buy an LS1 at that price lol...

Can't, my parents would freak out if I ride one and I don't know how to ride one. :p

I went to see a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 today and I got it down to $4,200. Worth it? Are they good reliable cars? This compared with an 2002+ Alitma or 2000+ Maxima, which would be the best bang for the buck?

What about VW Passat's? They any good?

imo I would stick with honda or nissan or toyota. vw isn't known for quality. the accord ex is a very good and reliable car.

Well it's too late for the Honda now. :( The guy was supposed to hold it for me, but he sold it. People buy cars SO fast if they have good deals on them. :(

Well it's too late for the Honda now. :( The guy was supposed to hold it for me, but he sold it. People buy cars SO fast if they have good deals on them. :(

Don't worry there are a few hundred thousand more Hondas out there. You are not exactly looking for a Rembrandt here. You are looking for a car and not a rare one at that. There are tons out there already and they keep making more of em everyday. You will eventually find the car for you.

imo I would stick with honda or nissan or toyota. vw isn't known for quality. the accord ex is a very good and reliable car.

I found a 2002 VW Passat for $3900. It has 133,000 miles on it and he hit a pole in his building complex and the bumper in the front is dangling just a bit. See image:

xn96xg.jpg

It is a GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan w/Automatic. Worth it? He said he can bring it down to like 3,300 because of the issue with the bumper and he is leaving the state.

you couldn't pay me to drive it. imo, keep looking. You almost found one in the accord. If you assist with a zip, I can help you with some autotrader/vehix/autoshopper/etc searching.