Apple Media Event, October 20th

Very cool if the event is about OS X, it needs more love :D

QF-damn-T

Finally! *hopes for iOS apps on OS X* shifty.gif

I wouldn't complain being able to do that, but I guess iOS apps are one of the main reasons people go off so much about the devices.

There probably wouldn't be a lot of cannibalization of the portable market, but:

What Apple does right here is giving users the feeling they are getting something on their portable devices that is not

a) either a slimmed down or "light version" of something existing for the Mac already

b) or just a copy of something already existing. see, the UI is excitingly new compared to desktop applications, etc...

Oh and did I say that it's be hard to emulate motion sensors on an iMac? That's just one thing that is not "upwards" compatible.

I'm still waiting for OSX Kitten :shifty:

YAY! Yea, bring it! :woot:

Looks nothing like a tiger tbh.

Even if they announce 10.7 next week doesn't mean we'll be seeing it for a good while yet. Maybe next summertime... 10.6.5 will come before that. There isn't much that needs to be fixed up in 10.6 though.

Yea, it's clearly a lion.

a) You're right there is not a lot that can still be fixed in SL compared to the other 10.x.4 releases.

b) Apple did promote SL aaaages before they released it to manufacturing.

c) SL is a special player here: it's basically just a better re-hash of Leopard. And I'm hoping that 10.7 will bring a lot of good new stuff again.

Damn, Apple has showed SOOOO little love to us Mac users for so long now.

This "mobile here mobile there" thingy is starting to get on my nerves!

Glassed Silver:win

I hope Apple brings iWork suite to iPhone and iPod Touch. Its badly needed. I like how WP7 has full MS Office in it. Apple should do the same and I have a good feeling, it will be happening.

Damn, Apple has showed SOOOO little love to us Mac users for so long now.

This "mobile here mobile there" thingy is starting to get on my nerves!

+1

I'd really want to see what they can bring to Mac now that they have abundant of features already running perfectly fine. Maybe they will also go on to talk about iWork 11 and the 'hidden app' in it.

thank god, news on the new OS, you know, Apple's now neglected ****** child

I hope Apple brings iWork suite to iPhone and iPod Touch. Its badly needed. I like how WP7 has full MS Office in it. Apple should do the same and I have a good feeling, it will be happening.

use google docs?

thank god, news on the new OS, you know, Apple's now neglected ****** child

use google docs?

Using iDisk would make more sense. If Apple dropped the price a bit (or baked it into 10.7) and added some more space, I'd be all over MobileMe service.

FWIW, "Back to My Mac" is a MobileMe feature, so I'd like to see them say something about that. Or plan on adding more features. They did build an enormous data center recently.

Ooh. Always enjoy these even I don't really own any Apple kit any more.

As soon as they make the baby Mac Pro I crave.. well, maybe I'll come crawling back? ;)

So...

OS X 10.7 Lion, almost a given. Considering this animal is the top of the big cats, I imagine this is the last incremental update until we see OS XI

MacBook Air update, likely.

Anything else is a bonus.

So...

OS X 10.7 Lion, almost a given. Considering this animal is the top of the big cats, I imagine this is the last incremental update until we see OS XI

MacBook Air update, likely.

Anything else is a bonus.

I was going to post something like that. The lion is the king of jungle, thus this is the "king" of Mac OS X releases and perhaps the last one before Mac OS 11 is introduced with a completely new user interface paradigm.

I doubt Aqua will go away nor do I want it to, but could they finally please replace and/or update the ancient Aqua scroll bars?

iWork and iLife '11. Sneak preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. :D We're not going to see the final version next week, probably going to be released somewhere in 2011.

To me it's weird that people feel Apple has been neglecting Mac or Mac OS X. Mac OS X, iLife, iWork, Aperture etc. have all seen updates in 2009. You can't expect them to release a major new version of those software titles every single year. Apple already told us to stop expecting that all the way back in 2005. Apple releasing new iLife and iWork versions (if it happens that is) at the end of 2010 and a new Mac OS X version in 2011 makes perfect sense. Not mention we've seen plenty Mac related hardware releases the last two years including the introduction of new and redesigned products.

People are short of memory.

I think we'll see

• updated Macbook Pro models
  • iLife '11
  • iWork '11
  • Safari 5.5 beta using WebKit 2
  • Preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

I thought ios4 had true multitasking, it doesn't? I'm sure they would have to make some "adjustments" to ios4 to use on the mac platform, but aren't they also talking about touchscreens for the mac as as well, which would mean "adjustments" for osx as well. Wouldn't ios4 be easier to port to the mac than changing osx to use the touchscreens properly?

iOS doesn't have true multitasking in the sense you can do two things on the same screen at a time... like working with photoshop and illustrator and drag between the two apps... it has multitasking ala multi threads running concurrently for differnet apps to continue running at the same time while not showing

iOS doesn't have true multitasking in the sense you can do two things on the same screen at a time...

Imagine how convenient that would be on a screen the size of a phone. :p

iWork and iLife '11. Sneak preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. :D We're not going to see the final version next week, probably going to be released somewhere in 2011.

To me it's weird that people feel Apple has been neglecting Mac or Mac OS X. Mac OS X, iLife, iWork, Aperture etc. have all seen updates in 2009. You can't expect them to release a major new version of those software titles every single year. Apple already told us to stop expecting that all the way back in 2005. Apple releasing new iLife and iWork versions (if it happens that is) at the end of 2010 and a new Mac OS X version in 2011 makes perfect sense. Not mention we've seen plenty Mac related hardware releases the last two years including the introduction of new and redesigned products.

People are short of memory.

I don't know where you come from, but on planet earth Apple has updated yes, but HOW?

The aluminiumization of the iMac being the "most spectecular" and boy, there's virtually nothing apart from:

a) SL - Let's be honest. You know it, they know it, I know it. It's the extension of Leopard, because Apple is not used to 10.x.[more than 10] schemes.

b) Oh yea, so Apple did tell us not to expect too much, well yes, fair enough, butwhy? Because they PLANNED neglecting Mac. An announcement does not make something not happen, but rather confirms it!

c) Where did the energy go into? The mobile device branch - oh come on!

d) Hardware refreshes basically totally limited to: add a better CPU, add better mem, add better... bla... Wow...

Apple has always been famous for "thinking different", what they do now: Do not think further than mobile.

Why? Well, because Apple becomes mainstream in those sectors. Yes, Marketing 101 and "sorry to burst your bubble" comments are raining down on me. But do I not have the right to be p***ed about virtually ZERO "innovation/new candy/new something worth mentioning" in the Mac branch the past months and years?

Apple is getting too big of a brand.

As long as it was hardcore niche, they focussed on quality, now they still sell quality, but neglect some of their branches so much it's just sad.

Apple once used to be offering "lots" back in time already and they failed, this time they have the air bag of mainstream.

/rant over

Glassed Silver:win

I for one, am looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table with this release.

It'll be "revolutionary" and "magical" I'm sure. wink.gif

a) SL - Let's be honest. You know it, they know it, I know it. It's the extension of Leopard, because Apple is not used to 10.x.[more than 10] schemes.

Not any different than Microsoft's release of Windows 7. Both Mac OS X Leopard and Vista were fine when it came to their base, they just needed optimization. Both companies were in perfect sync when it comes down to this. I'm perfectly happy with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and don't directly feel that Mac OS X needs something totally new right now. Next year would be nice, but not this year.

b) Oh yea, so Apple did tell us not to expect too much, well yes, fair enough, butwhy? Because they PLANNED neglecting Mac. An announcement does not make something not happen, but rather confirms it!

You're a telepath? Tell me, does Microsoft release a major new version of Windows and Office every single year? Nope, I don't think so. Expecting Apple to release new Mac OS X, iLife and iWork versions every single year with enough features to make it worthwhile is asking the impossible. Apple already ran into trouble that way when Mac OS X Tiger was under development. They learned from that experienced and told people they can't keep that pace up anymore. Like I said, not even Microsoft can pull that off.

c) Where did the energy go into? The mobile device branch - oh come on!

Not all of it considering Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife '09, iWork '09 and Aperture weren't released that long ago.

d) Hardware refreshes basically totally limited to: add a better CPU, add better mem, add better... bla... Wow...

You expected an iMac with a 3D holographic emitter that can project images on nothing but thin air?

I'm sorry you're putting your expectations that high, but that's not Apple's fault really.

Not any different than Microsoft's release of Windows 7. Both Mac OS X Leopard and Vista were fine when it came to their base, they just needed optimization. Both companies were in perfect sync when it comes down to this. I'm perfectly happy with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and don't directly feel that Mac OS X needs something totally new right now. Next year would be nice, but not this year.

Personally I'd like SSD TRIM support, SLI/Crossfire support like Windows and Linux has, a new DVD Player app that can play Blurays, updated Time Machine which is more reliable and stable, Control over GPU switching built in without logging out, Better 2nd display support with a nice settings menu where you decide what happens when a 2nd display is hooked up with conditions.

Generally Mac OS X Snow Leopard is not finished and lacks a lot of things that would make the package complete. For the past few years Apple has been including hardware in Macs that the operating system doesn't know how to handle properly because the two things haven't been built in tandem. A good example of that is the ability to put two cards in a system without SLI/Crossfire, the aiblity to put SSD's in a system without TRIM and the ability to switch between integrated GPU's and Dedicated GPU's which make you log out even when 3rd party developers have been able to produce apps that accomplish the same thing without logging out.

Apple has focused way to much on Mobile devices and it shows greatly. And as for Snow Leopard well for many users it caused lower battery life and performance decreases in many apps so I don't really see what the point in it was. Rounded contextual boxes yay?

Well you can forget about Blu-ray, probably even in the upcoming Mac OS X Lion release.

And as for Snow Leopard well for many users it caused lower battery life and performance decreases in many apps so I don't really see what the point in it was. Rounded contextual boxes yay?

So what you're saying is because some users experience(d) issues with Snow Leopard there was no point in it? I'm willing to bet just as many people have issues with Windows 7 as well, so Microsoft just shouldn't have released that either? There are always people who have issues with something, that's just the way it is.

For me and many others Mac OS X Snow Leopard has been smooth sailing and brought out the pull potential of our Macs. So I for one am very happy with it and thought is was a welcome update after Leopard. That doesn't mean I don't have any interest for a Mac OS X release that brights forth major end-user features. I'm just in no rush.