Apple Media Event, October 20th

Well I do see it being useful in some instances like quickly adjust your pictures with iPhoto or maybe even putting clips together in iMovie. But that's too less of use cases to justify an entire OS to be completely touch-based, which, of course, does not only mean that your Display is capacitive but also the UI is being altered. Which would, as .Neo pointed out, defeat the whole purpose of using a big ass screen.

However, the MacBooks trackpads work great, the multitouch gestures are awesome and I wouldn't want to reach my hand to the screen because it would be a pain in the a ergonomically. As it is now, touch based input on bigger devices just is not ready. It's a nice gimmick, could come handy once or twice but that's about it... IMHO, anyways...

A touchpad with a display, however, would be nice. Think of Wacom. But that only works so well because it's not your main workspace...

If they would finally implement Resolution Independence, thouch, a touch-layer could indeed make an aweful lot of sense, just to show what they got... (got beaten to it in the progress of writing all this here... :D )

I go with what some others have said, in this threat and past ones..., I believe that anything touch-related, on any Apple desktop product, will not be the main OS but rather some kind of overlay, something opt-in like FrontRow, capable of running iOS-Apps and making some tasks easier but the core will still be mouse/trackpad-input based.

Yup.

That's where something like resolution independence would come in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_independence)

That still wouldn't make the OS truly touch screen friendly though. Next to that you would have to blow up everything to such proportions that it just wouldn't be convenient anymore and the point of having this 27-inch screen is pretty much lost.

In all honestly I see zero point in having a touch screen iMac. That is beyond extremely specific situations such as using it as a kiosk in a store or library. It would be a niche really. Not to mention how horrible it would be if your 27-inch iMac is covered in fingerprints all the time.

I've used those HP touch smart computers (the all-in-one desktop one) and I still completely fail to imagine a scenario where I would want to touch my desktop's screen in order to execute something.

That still wouldn't make the OS truly touch screen friendly though. Next to that you would have to blow up everything to such proportions that it just wouldn't be convenient anymore and the point of having this 27-inch screen is pretty much lost.

In all honestly I see zero point in having a touch screen iMac. That is beyond extremely specific situations such as using it as a kiosk in a store or library. It would be a niche really. Not to mention how horrible it would be if your 27-inch iMac is covered in fingerprints all the time.

I agree with you, I love my 27" and I can't really picture myself wanting to touch it :blush:

Exactly. It just isn't practical unless you're using your desktop computer for a very specific goal (cash register, public library, information point etc.)

PS Maybe Apple will finally be releasing the final version of Xcode 4 as well.

PS Maybe Apple will finally be releasing the final version of Xcode 4 as well.

That would be nice....but I'm not sure if I'm liking Xcode4 :/ I tried DP2 and there was quite a few things I didn't like (no way to see the progress of the compilation like in Xcode3). I didn't try the other DP because DP2 messed up my projects and I had to recreate most of them :pinch:

Auch, make a backup next time before messing around with betas. :p

Well I didn't lose any code or anything so it wasn't too bad (just a bunch of messed up project files).

I usually have a time machine backup of all my code (plus now I've started using SVN on top of that) but I had just received my new iMac and didn't have time to setup time machine ;) my bad

Was pretty easy from my understanding. Never had to resort to it obv cause I use OSX.

1. Download VLC, and install it

2. Go to File> Open Network?

3. Click on Network and copy-paste this url: http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/gear1/prog_index.m3u8*

4. Click Open

*the old stream url

Any idea what the new stream will be? :p

Was pretty easy from my understanding. Never had to resort to it obv cause I use OSX.

1. Download VLC, and install it

2. Go to File> Open Network?

3. Click on Network and copy-paste this url: http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/gear1/prog_index.m3u8*

4. Click Open

*the old stream url

yea, I remember trying this.

Well if someone can point me to the new stream that would be nice.