Analyst: WP7 to overtake iPhone in 2016

Given the rather stale reception WP7 appears to be getting in the market in general, i'd say that's nothing more than a wild prediction.

Given the rather stale reception WP7 appears to be getting in the market in general, i'd say that's nothing more than a wild prediction.

I don't get what you mean by "stale". Stale to me atleast means old and obsolete, with WP7 being new it can't be "stale". The iPhone on the other hand....

But yeah I agree thats pure speculation based on the current buying rate of WP7 a lot can and will change in 4 years...

I don't get what you mean by "stale".

In this context it means that consumers are not overly impressed - certainly not impressed enough to choose it over iOS.

You claim the iPhone is stale... I personally find the iPhone to be playing catch-up, but the sales figures and fanaticism suggest it is far from "stale"...

In this context it means that consumers are not overly impressed - certainly not impressed enough to choose it over iOS.

You claim the iPhone is stale... I personally find the iPhone to be playing catch-up, but the sales figures and fanaticism suggest it is far from "stale"...

Just because some people like eating stale bread doesn't mean its good for you :p.

Yes, and the lovely droid is still playing with all its fragmentation issues. If ms really wants to do something serious they need to get cracking on Windows Phone 7.5 in a big hurry.

I don't get what you mean by "stale". Stale to me atleast means old and obsolete, with WP7 being new it can't be "stale". The iPhone on the other hand....

But yeah I agree thats pure speculation based on the current buying rate of WP7 a lot can and will change in 4 years...

I mean stale in the sense that it's not really being greeted with a great deal of enthusiasm by users. Which is true, WP7 device sales have been poor.

I mean stale in the sense that it's not really being greeted with a great deal of enthusiasm by users. Which is true, WP7 device sales have been poor.

Well they are selling pretty much what is being produced. Right now MS is doing what they did with the original Xbox. laying down the ground work. Enthusiasts are buying it, and regular people are seeing them hearing about them, seeing them on TV. and around the launch of 7.5 Nokia will have handsets ready, and they can do a really major push, and by the time 8 comes around, it should be a well known brand, with everythign regular users want, Fast, smooth and easy.

Well they are selling pretty much what is being produced. Right now MS is doing what they did with the original Xbox. laying down the ground work. Enthusiasts are buying it, and regular people are seeing them hearing about them, seeing them on TV. and around the launch of 7.5 Nokia will have handsets ready, and they can do a really major push, and by the time 8 comes around, it should be a well known brand, with everythign regular users want, Fast, smooth and easy.

Agreed!

WP7 sales haven't been "poor" this isn't like a console or an operating system, a lot of people are waiting for there contracts to be up or for the next generation of WP7 phones(ones with dual core processors, etc). The one thing I will say is MS screwed themselves by not releasing the phone sooner, which caused a lot of people that I know anyway to get an andriod phone. All of MS problems are centered around OEM's, MS should have stayed with one or two phone manufactures they branched out to multiple OEM's too quickly.

I doubt the WP7 project manager anticipated the amount of hand holding that some OEM's require...*caugh* samsung :/.

It's hard to say what the phone market will look like in say 5 years or so, but it's pretty difficult to imagine Microsoft near the top of the heap at the moment.

Yea, anything's over set to over take anything in 5 years...

"OSX set to over take Windows in new computer sales in 5 years!"

common... stupid article. The most you can reasonable predict, as a journalist, in this industry is 2 years. Anything beyond that is wild guessing because things change so damn fast!

It's a shame we're all gradually locking ourselves more and more into one particular ecosystem as we buy more and more apps on whichever platform we've adopted at the moment.

Now if Amazon (or anyone else) came up with a third-party app store that let you buy a product once and install any of its versions across platforms it supports (I think Steam is like this?), we'll have us an interesting game to watch.

Till then I'm just here for the overpriced beer.

Yea, anything's over set to over take anything in 5 years...

"OSX set to over take Windows in new computer sales in 5 years!"

common... stupid article. The most you can reasonable predict, as a journalist, in this industry is 2 years. Anything beyond that is wild guessing because things change so damn fast!

Seriously, at least own the fantastical nature of the claim.

Like how every year since...what, 1998? Has been the year of the Linux desktop. /snort

Until NoDo is released, this will only happen MS's wildest dream...

well, except for us enthusiasts, peopel don't care about NoDo, they don't even know about it. So, no, it won't have any effect. Mango might after release because it's a bigger update and it will be advertised.

comscore_wp7_jan.jpg

Won't it be 0% by 2016?

no it won't, that stat isn't showing you something very important, WP7 market share is going up. the Windows smartphone marketshare is going down.

Funny, I just read the other day that Android will do the same thing by 2013.

Android already has overtaken iPhone.

Android already has overtaken iPhone.
Really? Cause I know personally about 4 people with an Android phone. The rest are iPhones/Crackberries. Is this based on device sales or what?

Really? Cause I know personally about 4 people with an Android phone. The rest are iPhones/Crackberries. Is this based on device sales or what?

According to several reports over the last year.

remember that android sells on everything from Desire HD/X10 high end devices to cheap fully subsidies phones, and they sell on the smallest smartphone (which also happens to currently be the smallest phone in general since the whole craze of smaller phones did at the end of the 90's)